Source for door panel and console materials

RivNut

Yes, he was not working for a while due to a serious medical problem, but apparently is back at it now. In addition to the console veneer kits that are already available, he will soon be reproducing the '65 deluxe door veneers, complete with pinstripes. This will be the only source for these parts as far as I know, so throw Mr Scanlan some business if you can. I'm savin' up for mine now!

10 minutes ago, RIVNIK said:

complete with pinstripes

Now this is something cool... most of the Riviera veneer provider don't have these pinstripes.

I tried to make them by myself with ebony inlays, but I had to give up - to dificult to make them look like original ?

1 hour ago, Schmiddy said:

Now this is something cool... most of the Riviera veneer provider don't have these pinstripes.

I tried to make them by myself with ebony inlays, but I had to give up - to dificult to make them look like original ?

This is similar to an idea I've been entertaining. I'm wanting to do quilted maple, in a sunburst pattern (like on vintage guitars), but I suspect it's skill I don't have.

1 hour ago, jsgun said:

This is similar to an idea I've been entertaining. I'm wanting to do quilted maple, in a sunburst pattern (like on vintage guitars), but I suspect it's skill I don't have.

You'll never know until you try. Practice makes perfect. 

OK Riviera  People:  Pinstripes? So easy.  Stain the wood your favorite color then...get some Cal Custom pinstripe tape. The 1/8"  and other size (I forgot)  combo.  Peel the bottom off the tape, place it on, peel the clear plastic off the tape and then clear coat.  WA-LA.  Works perfect!  Mitch

Edited by lrlforfun (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera  People:  Pinstripes? So easy.  Stain the wood your favorite color then...get some Cal Custom pinstripe tape. The 1/8"  and other size (I forgot)  combo.  Peel the bottom off the tape, place it on, peel the clear plastic off the tape and then clear coat.  WA-LA.  Works perfect!  Mitch

Like Mitch says. A lot of this stuff is not rocket science; more like common sense. Or if you're a purist, get some pinstripe get tape that has a 1/8 inch space between the stripes and use it as a template.  Get some Hot Shot enamel and a brush and paint the stripe on. Then clear coat it.

4 hours ago, jsgun said:

Sunburst is straightforward: tilt the gun/can at an angle and spray from the inside out.

Thank you guys for the great inputs! :D I'm sure, it will help the ones who have their veneer clear coated. 

My veneer was done by myself with oiled wood, not clear coated (I wrote an article about it in the last 2 issues of the "Review"). 
On oiled wood I didn't wanted the "pinstripes" look like painted on, so I tried the trick with ebony inlay... it worked, but I wasn't happy with my final result, so I let it be (too much work to proceed that way for the 4 panels). So I made new ones without the stripes - wich in my opinion looks great too.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:27 AM, Black River said:

I got mine hydrodipped (ink dipping).  Just about all the "woodgrain" and "carbon fiber" you see in new cars is actually hydrodipped.  There's an unlimited amount of patterns available.  Pretty much anything you can think of.

Lucas

That looks absolutely incredible. Was this over the original wood, or did you make new inserts out of plastic?

28 minutes ago, jsgun said:

That looks absolutely incredible. Was this over the original wood, or did you make new inserts out of plastic?

Thank you.  On mine, I made new ones out of lexan, but you can just as easily mask off and do it to the originals.  That's what I did on my Mach 1.  I had him do a silverwood pattern on my door panel inserts and center stack for my gauges in that car.  Here's a link to all the patterns available from my buddy and pics of the Mustang's panels.  You just have to make sure it's spotless, so you have to clean all the old glue and veneer off.  It was a pain on the Mustang, so that's why I just made new ones for the Riviera.  He does it super reasonably priced, it's much cheaper than if you had them made out of real wood, and the possibilities are endless (there's $100 bills, skulls, American flags, flames, about 100 different woodgrains, camo, yadayadayada). http://www.montanahydroimage.com/about-us/

Lucas

woodgrain3.jpg

woodgrain5.jpg

• Like 1

The Silverwood looks amazing, I really like that. I'm hung up on pearloid (like on vintage accordions, drums). I've bought some sheets of it, meant for guitar scratch guards, but can't find the wine red/purple I'm looking for. A Chinese manufacturer sells vinyl-type flexible sheets of it, but you have to buy something like a hundred pounds of it per order.

I've never been able to find pearloid in hydrodip, I guess it's not do-able. The woods look amazing though.

I haven't seen it, either.  There's a couple that look similar, but not exact. Check out under the Marble and Stone patterns on his site.  There's a lot of places out there doing hydro dipping, I would think someone has got to have the pattern to do it.  It's basically a tinted clearcoat with the pattern on it, and you can change it's color by laying down a different base coat color.  I agree, that'd look super cool and classy on some interior parts.

14 minutes ago, jsgun said:

The Silverwood looks amazing, I really like that. I'm hung up on pearloid (like on vintage accordions, drums). I've bought some sheets of it, meant for guitar scratch guards, but can't find the wine red/purple I'm looking for. A Chinese manufacturer sells vinyl-type flexible sheets of it, but you have to buy something like a hundred pounds of it per order.

I've never been able to find pearloid in hydrodip, I guess it's not do-able. The woods look amazing though.