what power steering fluid you use?

offdensen

I was only able to find a forum asking this in regards to a 55 Buick and decided I would ask it here. If there is a thread already ask this in the roa section then please direct me to it.

anyways, I have a 63 Riviera and as the cap says to use type a transmission fluid I read that the dextron III that is the new type A fluid is not good for power steering for whatever reason. I have read of people using dextron III and regular power steering fluid of all brands and I wanted to get a consensus as to what you riv owners use.

what fluid and brand do you use for your power steering? Does it matter?

1 hour ago, Black River said:

Here's a thread on the subject:

I personally just use Type F.

thank you for the response. I don't know why it wasn't showing. But I still wouldn't mind getting even more insight into what people use.

Hi offdensen,

I had my pump rebuilt recently by Lares Corp. and upon asking the same question, they said their seals will handle any kind of good quality P/S or ATF fluid offered today. I'm using non-synthetic Dex-Merc ATF and everything seems to be fine. 

Type A is not longer available.  Just use whatever it is you're using in your transmission and you'll be fine.  Type A was what was used in your trans originally, they were trying to make it simple, just keep it simple.

Ed

• Like 1