1930 Studebaker President Reduced 38500 paint upgrades

ols car dog    6

I asked for it!!!!

MY POOR WHEELS,maybe it would  be better 

if car was on skids.!!

Question for EDINMASS exactly how would you treat these wheels,

ALSANCLE,you can send me the next set of trippe lights and I can put them on

my car or sell them. to JOHN_MERENESS.

Believe it or not every thing that has been mentioned here has been considered at length.

I did not want to put any thing on car that I could not prove was available.as an accessory.

so it was left off to get my awards from A.A.C.A.It worked out for me.

To paint the beltline was a major issue, I believed it had too much contrast

Pinstriping beltline  red is still my first choice.Striping the wheel spokes with body color is also my preference.

This is not my first car to restore or modify,so far I have never lost money.If I can't sell it for a fair price I'll just keep it.$38,500 is close to where I need to be.Any body out there??

Ken

Ken, as mentioned, did not mean to offend. Personally, I think you are selling yourself short at 39K.  This Auburn was all Black with an Orange pinstripe. I painted the Silver belt molding over a weekend- I sprayed it out in the driveway.  I just liked Black, Silver, and Red; and thought I would give it a whirl.  I pinstriped it myself as well (the following weekend) and I then did a wheel a night.

Auburn 3.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

ols car dog    6
On May 20, 2017 at 9:02 PM, Dave Fields said:

If it hasn't sold, there is a problem with the price, product, your promotion, or where you are advertising it. Start with what you can change. Frankly, although the President is a fantastic car, it is not in demand at this price, which is what I would expect a Pierce or Packard to be priced at, It is the least desirable body styles, and a standard catalogue body, i.e. not a full or semi custom. National awards by the AACA or Studebaker Driver's Club would help. Appraisers don't kow any more that what you can determine by an afternoon's research online.

Jonn,I find your comments to be right on the moneyAt worse maybe we can score a set of trippe lights.

Thanks to all.

ken

Hudsy Wudsy    141

It's my opinion that the bright wheels/drums are also the problem with the large, graceful proportions. They grab the eye and anchor it. They make the tires look huge. Beyond that, there is absolutely no contrast between the drums and the spokes. While wires wheels may be preferable, but you've got spokes to deal with for now and they should look distinct from their background without being loud or glaring. I think that if I were to begin to work with your beautiful Studebaker, I would consider starting out with a couple of cardboard circles the diameter of the rims and tape them in place over the rims as they exist now. The cardboard pieces could easily be removed and replaced to paint them some different colors. From that point on it's a matter of taste. I think that I, personally, would explore a color that you already have -- that's the warm interior color. I like saddle/tan/camel colors because of their warmth and the use of a color along those lines on the wheels and as a pinstripe might be quite attractive. Bringing the interior color to the outside would be a nice unifying approach. Target has chosen red/tan as their dress code because it's a pleasant look.An alternative might be to use a deeper red on the wheels. By deeper red, I don't mean maroon. Maroon has brown in it. Lighter and deeper reds can be attractive if they are matched well. I recall Chevrolet offered a nice pair of reds that were often two-toned together in the late '70s called light carmine and dark carmine. The search for a truly compatible red, whether lighter or darker, can be a bit tricky, however, because many random ones will contain too much blue taking them towards the violet side, or yellow taking them towards the orange side. I trust my own eye, but you might want to work with an experienced paint man if you were to go this route. Lastly, were the spoke wheels pinstriped when this car was new? I'm not that crazy about each individual spoke having a stripe, but I've always thought that a perimeter pinstripe, single or double, was a nice finishing touch. If I actually owned this Studebaker, I would get rid of the black fenders immediately, but that's my own prejudice. Black fenders were too often found on fleet cars because the manufacturers charged a few dollars less for them than ones that were painted the body color Good luck with whatever you do.

James Sheehan

Mpls, MN

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hudsy Wudsy    141

I have to laugh, while I was writing my above post, John posted a picture of an ebay car that was painted two shades of deep red. I would prefer a little more contrast between the two myself, but it might help you to envision the possibility of adding a second red to your color scheme.

alsancle    436
6 hours ago, ols car dog said:

This is not my first car to restore or modify,so far I have never lost money.If I can't sell it for a fair price I'll just keep it.$38,500 is close to where I need to be.Any body out there??

Ken

Wow.  You have done pretty well to be hanging around this hobby and not get caught on a car!   Next car I make money on will probably be the first :)

ols car dog    6

Lot,s of good  info.

I found the snapshots of the car when it was delivered in 2008.

Not able to post pictures here but the wheels  were painted the same color as the fenders and valance under doors.One Color only

no pin stripes 

I have enough burgundy  body color to paint hubs& pin stripe rims.

While I,m at it I will black out under rear fenders.

Red is the color that I prefer for  belt line pin stripe.

One shot of red for the car-----One shot of courage for me.Wish me luck..

I have pictures of pin stripes when The Stude arrived,right at 125'

Put a picture of the whole present fleet

Ken

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

The red stripe looks really great  - go for it !  And, I think it will be night and day difference in giving the car proportion to convey its large size and luxury status.  Again, a beautifully restored and high point early 1930's CCCA car is very hard to find anywhere in the 40-50K range.

Hudsy Wudsy    141

I have to say, though, regardless of spokes or wire wheels, I don't care for all of that bright white on the wheels. Your eye just doesn't follow the natural line of the body when it's dazzled by all of the overpowering white. The bright side mount cover has the same jarring effect.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

On 5/25/2017 at 1:22 PM, John_Mereness said:

Again, a beautifully restored and high point early 1930's CCCA car is very hard to find anywhere in the 40-50K range.

Four-door sedans, as nice as they are, don't

bring a lot of money.  A few years ago there was

a beautifully restored Marmon sedan, green in color,

for sale for $35,000 on the AACA forum.  It took

quite some time to sell.

I went to see a 1936 Lincoln Lebaron coupe, a 

custom-bodied car that had just won its AACA Grand

National award before the owner passed on.  At a

good auction, it was bid up to only $75,000.  Eventually,

the owner eked out $89,000.  And that was a Lincoln,

a custom body, not a 4-door, and after $200,000 in

recent restoration costs.

Dealers post prices that are unrealistic, typically 50% to

100% above market value, so let's go by documented

SELLING prices.  We don't want to turn more people

away from the hobby, and from this era of car.   I'm grateful

that there are affordable cars, even Classics, if one

searches hard enough.

1936 Lincoln LeBaron 1.JPG

On 6/2/2017 at 11:14 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Four-door sedans, as nice as they are, don't

bring a lot of money.  A few years ago there was

a beautifully restored Marmon sedan, green in color,

for sale for $35,000 on the AACA forum.  It took

quite some time to sell.

Most sedans even CCCA eligible do not have AACA and/or CCCA badges on them, as they are just not economical to restore =  My experience is people will pay a little more for a really well done car.  And, some sedans do exceptionally well: ex. ACD family cars, large Horsepower matched to truly rare, and ..... 

I try not to use closed (or even open) Lincolns as an example - they tend to sell lower than comparable cars and that is a shame as they are super nice cars.  I have for sale a 40 Lincoln Continental Convertible that was one of those car that had had huge money spent on it matched to being a well cared for car to begin with - and end result is that it is better than 98% of the 40's and 41's out there.  It has received its fair share of low offers, but for a few thousand over the price of an average car they will be rewarded with a prize.

ols car dog    6

I,m back,been waiting on the second pin striper for five weeks.If he ever shows up it will get done.

l did paint the wheel hubs burgundy to match body color,also blacked out under rear fenders,

Both of these upgrades made an improvement 

I just lowered the price to 38500 on classiccars.com

That should be close for a A A.C.A Senior and full C.C C A  classic "we will see in due time"

image.jpeg

trimacar    537

Car was advertised on PreWarCar and is now marked as sold.....so did it find a good home?  If so congrats.....

ols car dog    6

No It has not been sold.

I just let the ad expire .A friend of mine is coming today with a better camera than I have ,then I,ll put it in Hemmings and update Classiscars.com site.

Do you usePrewar.com as much as Hemmings?

Which site do you have the best results with??

Ken

trimacar    537

I've sold three cars through PreWarCar, it has a huge following.  I had an early Regal underslung chassis, sold in 4 hours on PreWarCar site.

I don't use Hemmings at all.  My opinion is that a lot of the cars that end up in Hemmings are overpriced ones.  Every now and then a fair deal comes along, but it almost seems to be the last resort when a car isn't selling through other means.

I surely would not use the AACA forums as a sole method of advertising car.  While I really enjoy the forums, it's a limited audience as far as car sales go.  There are some success storied on the forum, and I know people who are quite happy they read it, as they've found good cars by doing so.

I hate to say it, but Ebay will usually give you a good indication of a car's value.  There's such a large number of people reached, and one's specifically looking for certain cars or types of cars.  Yes, people will low ball you on the site too, but overall, high quality stuff will bring high quality prices.

Good luck with your sale!

alsancle    436
1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I've sold three cars through PreWarCar, it has a huge following.  I had an early Regal underslung chassis, sold in 4 hours on PreWarCar site.

The one time I sold a car in 4 hours I realized I had underpriced it by 25-35%.  But a deal is a deal.

trimacar    537

I could have had it underpriced, don't know, shipped overseas!

As far as payment:

-cash in hand gives you the most options

-Paypal for a deposit might be fine, problem with Paypal is they can decide to tie up your money for no reason, I've never had a problem but have heard stories

-cashier's check, well no not for me, that used to be fine, the only way I'd take a cashier's check now is if I'm at the bank when the buyer gets it (which I've done), too easy to forge

-personal check, only if it's from a person you absolutely, positively know has the money (I almost said Jay Leno, but won't), it can bounce, payment can be stopped, all that stuff

-wire transfer is very good, from their bank account to yours, in 30 minutes and your bank can verify the money is there

Remember that any sale, if you make money, is reportable as income.  If you break even or lose money, make sure you have the documentation of what you spent on the car to prove you didn't profit.  My lawyer makes me say that.  Cash negates that comment completely, anything else is transparent to the appropriate agency.

• Like 1