1930 Studebaker President Reduced 32500

ols car dog

Is my car priced too low forC.C.C.A levelautos? Is it to high for a Studebaker President?

Fell free to comment.

Should I get it appraised,or would it "Poison the Well" if Ipick the appraiser?

I value your thoughts on this car

Ken

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/939043/1930-studebaker-president-for-sale-in-houma-louisiana-70360

https://news.classiccars.com/pick-day-1930-studebaker-president/

5011513-1930-studebaker-president-std-1024x709.jpg

Edited by ols car dog
Opinions needed (see edit history)

The pictures left before l finished with the text.

Sorry about that!!,

This car ad is also posted on aaca buy/sell page14.

l have an ad on classic cars.com ad no. Is 909340.

here are some pictures.

The complete discription and more pictures are there

It seems I can,t link to classic cars. The links are on the ad on page 14

Sorry if I was wrong or misunderstood because I am really only a "Antique" and "Vintage" car guy.  Only ever owned one "Classic"  and 11 series Packard.  However I thought by following the Studebaker posts that on a specific "'34 President Regal Roadster" qualified???  Is/has there been any proper clarification on this topic?

I tried to find the car on cars.com and could not, you may wish to post a direct link to the ad.  That sure seems to be an awkward web site to find a specific car.

Is car in Louisiana, I see the YOM license plate on it?  From there (Alexandria) and it's where my heart resides!

• Like 1

Car is in Houma,La

The ad is on classiccars.com  ad no.939043

I am in process of trying to link to ad.

I'm not too good at it.

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I tried to find the car on cars.com and could not, you may wish to post a direct link to the ad.  That sure seems to be an awkward web site to find a specific car.

Is car in Louisiana, I see the YOM license plate on it?  From there (Alexandria) and it's where my heart resides!

• 3 weeks later...

As Dave states, the President is a great car.

Since you asked the question, I'll give you my blunt opinion.  There are two problems with selling this car. 

One is presentation, and how the car strikes the would be buyer.  While it appears to be nicely restored, the white wheels and brake drums are very distracting and take away from the look of the car. Maroon brake drums showing through black wheels, and a pintstripe job on the spokes, would really give the car more personality.  I personally like the rear mounted spare, as this give a nice clean fender line and makes the car look longer, but I'd bet 80% or more of would be buyers want sidemounts.  The car just doesn't grab one's attention enough to demand big money.  Contrasting paint, black to match fenders,  on the body mouldings would help, as would a tasteful pinstriping.   Look at the picture attached of another 1930 President that was sold recently.  Body style aside, look how this car grabs you, I don't even like green on a car but this one is beautifully done.  I don't know selling price, but would be willing to bet it sold for $50K or more.

And that's the second issue.  I feel you are well overpriced in today's market.  Yes, it's restored.  Yes, it's a Full Classic.  Those things don't automatically bring big bucks, and the other truism is that what you have invested in a car does NOT determine market price for that car.  I believe your car would sell in the $25K -30K range as it sits, not the $50K range.

I also agree with the appraiser remarks, I've bought a few cars that had appraisals with them, and I totally ignore them as a buyer.  I know there are reputable appraisers out there, but the only reason I'd ever hire one is if my insurance company demanded it.  We have one local "appraiser" whose first question is always "how much do you need it appraised for?".  This is an incorrect question, not the least reason being the stranded preposition at it's end.  Again, my opinion, but you're paying a fellow to tell you how much your car is worth, he surely doesn't want to appraise it on the low end and offend you, so he tends to go to the high end of the scale for a "feel good" appraisal.

Speaking of pricing, some price guides are useless too.  Online, the NADA price guide shows your car in the $18K range, which is low for sure in today's market.

Nice car, hope you find it a good home and it gets used well!

Studebaker_1930_president_7116.jpg

trimacar- AKA- David is 100 percent spot on. When I first saw the car listed for sale I  immediately knew the wheel treatment would make the car a very difficult sale, and I would not even consider selling the car in its present wheel paint configuration. Studebakers have a large following, but few bring big dollars. The truth of the matter is today it takes two things to sell a five or seven passenger sedan from a obscure make exceptional price and good condition. Fortunately you have a car in a desirable condition, the car will sell, once you arrive at its current market value. Remember not only do you need to consider what a Stude will bring, often for not much more money you can buy a more prestigious and deseriable brand for just a little bit more money. David's approximate price range is probably right where I would expect it to be. I would also expect the owner of the car has twice in it or more than he can expect to get out of it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

Speaking of pricing, some price guides are useless too.  Online, the NADA price guide shows your car in the $18K range, which is low for sure in today's market.

Studebaker_1930_president_7116.jpg

1.  Agree on the white brake covers, might be able to improve quite a bit with maroon just on those.

2.  The green car above has 2 major advantages over the subject car,   1.  Its a club sedan not a open rear quarter sedan,  2.  Wires vs Wood spokes.

Generally agree with everybody's comments.

I do not want to be rude, but it is the wooden wheels and rear mounted spare tire combined with not having the body tu-toned and pinstriped.  I can live with the blackwall tires, but overall very plain Jane. 

If I were to do anything, I would tu-tone the paint on the body and add a pinstripe in gold (or possibly cream) to match wheels - I would probably choose a complimentary maroon color for the tu-tone belt moldings (upper and possibly lower) as black would be too harsh.

I actually do not mind the cream brake drums. 

Second:  I assume that is a Junior or Senior AACA badge on the front license plate - it is a big deal, so make a big deal of it (very few people will ever achieve in their restorations).

A set of Trippe Lights may help as well and BrassWorks https://www.thebrassworks.net makes a nice wire weave stone guard for the radiator shell.  Also, I believe there is an optional radiator ornament that looks like a 1931 Cadillac Goddess.   

Perhaps also consider adding a Studebaker embroidered patch to the spare tire cover (I certainly like the black cover on it verses the open spare, but still very plain Jane). 

Sidenote:  Every wooden wheel car we have had, the first project is to find a set of wire wheels and/or at least sidemount fenders; and then a luggage rack, then sidemount mirrors, and then if I can find them sidemount tire covers (I call it protecting my investment and I am always in a better position to find these parts than the next owner most likely will be).

Second sidenote:  If I were to just do one thing and the cheapest possible - I would add a gold pinstripe to the body and if I had a little more pocket change I would add a same gold color stripe on the wooden wheels.

I was wondering if I was ever going to get any opinions;been a while.

Thanks for your comments

First,the wheels are cream colored not white.

I thought about body color for the wheels, but it seemed too dark for the black wall tires.

I did a pinstripe test with cream and red,every one that looked preferred red...

I wish it was a wire wheel car BUTS It's NOT..

Please refer to classiccars .com link,the pictures are much better there.

The other link is for Pick of the day.

Ad states that the Studebaker won a A.A.C.A. FIRST JUNIOR in 2014 in Tenn,the A.A.C.A. SENIOR award was 

.awarded in Houma,La.in 2015.Both were on the first attempt.

Look at all 27 pictures in the ad to see all the work that was done

My original price is proving to be too high.I will be adjusting price;meanwhile I am open to reasonable offers.

Need to sleep on asking price,6 years work here.

Keep those comments coming.;they are very valuable to me.

Ken

PS:

Been waiting on pinstriper for 16 months,maybe he is on the way

k

A good friend in Cincinnati had Studebaker's for years - including a 29 or 30 Commander Coupe, a 31 President Sedan, a 32 Four Seasons Roadster, and ......  They are nice cars.  One of the first President's I ever saw was in perhaps 1980, a 29 Seven Passenger sedan - it was in a dis-repaired tiny garage in Columbus OH - it was dark maroon (almost black) with black fenders and trim, black wire wheels (with sidemounts and ancient mismatched tires), red pinstripe, leather trimmed trunk, - it caught my eye. 

As mentioned - at the very minimum I would:

1. Pinstripe: Ask around at the motorcycle shops about your pinstripe options - you may have to take it to them (hard to get a house call in certain geographies) - it does take a while (several hours) for One Shot sign painters enamel to dry (ie best to trailer car if going to a pinstriper).   You could probably use 3M fine line tape to tape the lines and then paint your own stripe - will not be the same as hand drawn, but will be nice nevertheless (not easy - takes many hours and a lot of patience).  My gut feel on the stripe would be Gold - and Red would look good if you did not tu-tone.

2. Change the Red on the rear fender wells to Black  (looks awkward to see Red in the rear fender well when underside of car is all Black).  The photo of body in unrestored condition looks like fender wells were trimmed out to better match fenders as well.

3. Add back your spare tire cover and add on a Studebaker emblem http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STUDABAKER-CAR-PATCH-/302270236850?hash=item4660b5c8b2:g:zkIAAOSwxH1T8RpE

4. Optional but harder= Tu-Tone body.   If I had the time and ...., I would certainly be adding a darker Maroon to the belt moldings to tu-tone.  The belt moldings are really attractive and just totally lost being monotone. Also, lack of tu-toning on body for some reason on this car makes the car loose proportion (looks more Model A Ford sized than Cadillac/Packard sized).

5. A set of Trippe Driving lights, a set of windwings, a stoneguard, or ... any one item would dress the car.  You could also sew up a lap robe for the robe rail and a set of pillows as well - If a Cadillac or Packard they are in the factory accessory brochure/list.

In the big CCCA picture, it is pretty hard to buy anything restored to an AACA or CCCA prize winning level for 47K (and when you do it is older done and often toured with or is a Cadillac or Packard sedan of late 30's/40's vintage).  That being said, on day one there was a hierarchy of sedans - close coupled probably first, then any style sedan with 6 wires with sidemonts, 5 wires with a sidemount, 6 woods with sidemounts, 5 woods with a sidemount, and probably last comes  5 woods with a rear-mount spare.  The car need not be painted or accessorized like a circus wagon, but I think you are loosing sales as it is too "plain Jane."

Also, advertise in CCCA and Hemmings too. 

By the way:  We apply a lot of strategy via  www.significantcars.com - sending plenty of cars out for changes in wheel color, tires changes, pinstriping, adding driving lights, and .... - sometimes we are fortunate to have owners capable/interested and other times trying to maximize the dollar value for an estate. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

John,  ok with most of your suggestions although asking someone to spend money on something that they are trying to sell is risky.  For example, every car I buy I get the trippe lights off within 24 hours and either give them to a friend with less taste than me or unload them at Hershey.

• Like 1

I would NOT two tone this car. As it already is. The wheel and drums being very light significantly hurt the car. A tastefully done stripe is fine. A cover on the rear spare is also a nice touch. Some people won't buy a car from this era without the dual mounts.  Any change to make the car more eye appealing. 

The gentlemen that have shared their opinions with you are far more experienced and knowledgeable than I'll ever be. That doesn't mean that I'm without taste, however. I spent a successful career in the apparel industry. I'm afraid that my very first impression (and that's the important one) was that the wheels/hubs are nothing short of blinding and overwhelming. I think that if you did nothing else to the car, toning them down would make a tremendous difference in that ever important first impression. Remember, the potential buyer must first be able to envision himself as proudly owning and being seen in the car. Only after that will he move onto the part where he will ponder value and choose to buy. Perhaps the brake covers could be a utilitarian chassis black color and the wheels could be a dignified color that could also be picked up in a pinstripe?

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

John,  ok with most of your suggestions although asking someone to spend money on something that they are trying to sell is risky.  For example, every car I buy I get the trippe lights off within 24 hours and either give them to a friend with less taste than me or unload them at Hershey.

Funny you can say that about Trippes as I actually have only put one set on a car and it was sometime in the early 1990's - they were on the car already and I changed them from Junior to Seniors (changed the backshells, levels, and emblems) - That was on a 1931 Packard 833 Sport Phaeton (interestingly a maroon body car with red fenders and trim - fairly well restored, but entirely assembled from the junk door of the workbench - I had to change literally every nut, bolt and screw).

I also have a set of Trippes untouched on a closet shelf for some 17 years (and I probably bought them when I was 16 in 1979).

I have put on plenty of sets of Pilot Ray Driving Lights (pretty pricey for any car) and some GM driving lights, Packard driving lights, and Dietz, and Fog King Teleoptic .

My point only being:  How do you add some proportion to this car - it is a fairly big/large car and paint combination as it exists does not for some reason convey its size ? And, being a base equipment car is there a way to work around such ?

You are right about the proportions not being conveyed.  I'm not sure why. 

If I bought the car,  I think I would do the following:

1. Change the wheel and brake drum color. 

2.  Add a pin stripe

3.  Add the rear spare cover or maybe double the rear spare.

If I was selling the car,  I think I would just try #1, as when you are selling, putting money in to items that can be considered "taste" issues could be counter productive.

I asked for it!!!!

MY POOR WHEELS,maybe it would  be better 

if car was on skids.!!

Question for EDINMASS exactly how would you treat these wheels,

ALSANCLE,you can send me the next set of trippe lights and I can put them on

my car or sell them. to JOHN_MERENESS.

Believe it or not every thing that has been mentioned here has been considered at length.

I did not want to put any thing on car that I could not prove was available.as an accessory.

so it was left off to get my awards from A.A.C.A.It worked out for me.

To paint the beltline was a major issue, I believed it had too much contrast

Pinstriping beltline  red is still my first choice.Striping the wheel spokes with body color is also my preference.

This is not my first car to restore or modify,so far I have never lost money.If I can't sell it for a fair price I'll just keep it.$38,500 is close to where I need to be.Any body out there??

Ken

Ken, as mentioned, did not mean to offend. Personally, I think you are selling yourself short at 39K.  This Auburn was all Black with an Orange pinstripe. I painted the Silver belt molding over a weekend- I sprayed it out in the driveway.  I just liked Black, Silver, and Red; and thought I would give it a whirl.  I pinstriped it myself as well (the following weekend) and I then did a wheel a night.

Auburn 3.jpg

On May 20, 2017 at 9:02 PM, Dave Fields said:

If it hasn't sold, there is a problem with the price, product, your promotion, or where you are advertising it. Start with what you can change. Frankly, although the President is a fantastic car, it is not in demand at this price, which is what I would expect a Pierce or Packard to be priced at, It is the least desirable body styles, and a standard catalogue body, i.e. not a full or semi custom. National awards by the AACA or Studebaker Driver's Club would help. Appraisers don't kow any more that what you can determine by an afternoon's research online.

Jonn,I find your comments to be right on the moneyAt worse maybe we can score a set of trippe lights.

Thanks to all.

ken

It's my opinion that the bright wheels/drums are also the problem with the large, graceful proportions. They grab the eye and anchor it. They make the tires look huge. Beyond that, there is absolutely no contrast between the drums and the spokes. While wires wheels may be preferable, but you've got spokes to deal with for now and they should look distinct from their background without being loud or glaring. I think that if I were to begin to work with your beautiful Studebaker, I would consider starting out with a couple of cardboard circles the diameter of the rims and tape them in place over the rims as they exist now. The cardboard pieces could easily be removed and replaced to paint them some different colors. From that point on it's a matter of taste. I think that I, personally, would explore a color that you already have -- that's the warm interior color. I like saddle/tan/camel colors because of their warmth and the use of a color along those lines on the wheels and as a pinstripe might be quite attractive. Bringing the interior color to the outside would be a nice unifying approach. Target has chosen red/tan as their dress code because it's a pleasant look.An alternative might be to use a deeper red on the wheels. By deeper red, I don't mean maroon. Maroon has brown in it. Lighter and deeper reds can be attractive if they are matched well. I recall Chevrolet offered a nice pair of reds that were often two-toned together in the late '70s called light carmine and dark carmine. The search for a truly compatible red, whether lighter or darker, can be a bit tricky, however, because many random ones will contain too much blue taking them towards the violet side, or yellow taking them towards the orange side. I trust my own eye, but you might want to work with an experienced paint man if you were to go this route. Lastly, were the spoke wheels pinstriped when this car was new? I'm not that crazy about each individual spoke having a stripe, but I've always thought that a perimeter pinstripe, single or double, was a nice finishing touch. If I actually owned this Studebaker, I would get rid of the black fenders immediately, but that's my own prejudice. Black fenders were too often found on fleet cars because the manufacturers charged a few dollars less for them than ones that were painted the body color Good luck with whatever you do.

James Sheehan

Mpls, MN

• Like 1

I have to laugh, while I was writing my above post, John posted a picture of an ebay car that was painted two shades of deep red. I would prefer a little more contrast between the two myself, but it might help you to envision the possibility of adding a second red to your color scheme.

6 hours ago, ols car dog said:

This is not my first car to restore or modify,so far I have never lost money.If I can't sell it for a fair price I'll just keep it.$38,500 is close to where I need to be.Any body out there??

Ken

Wow.  You have done pretty well to be hanging around this hobby and not get caught on a car!   Next car I make money on will probably be the first :)

Lot,s of good  info.

I found the snapshots of the car when it was delivered in 2008.

Not able to post pictures here but the wheels  were painted the same color as the fenders and valance under doors.One Color only

no pin stripes 

I have enough burgundy  body color to paint hubs& pin stripe rims.

While I,m at it I will black out under rear fenders.

Red is the color that I prefer for  belt line pin stripe.

One shot of red for the car-----One shot of courage for me.Wish me luck..

I have pictures of pin stripes when The Stude arrived,right at 125'

Put a picture of the whole present fleet

Ken

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

The red stripe looks really great  - go for it !  And, I think it will be night and day difference in giving the car proportion to convey its large size and luxury status.  Again, a beautifully restored and high point early 1930's CCCA car is very hard to find anywhere in the 40-50K range.

I have to say, though, regardless of spokes or wire wheels, I don't care for all of that bright white on the wheels. Your eye just doesn't follow the natural line of the body when it's dazzled by all of the overpowering white. The bright side mount cover has the same jarring effect.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On 5/25/2017 at 1:22 PM, John_Mereness said:

Again, a beautifully restored and high point early 1930's CCCA car is very hard to find anywhere in the 40-50K range.

Four-door sedans, as nice as they are, don't

bring a lot of money.  A few years ago there was

a beautifully restored Marmon sedan, green in color,

for sale for $35,000 on the AACA forum.  It took

quite some time to sell.

I went to see a 1936 Lincoln Lebaron coupe, a 

custom-bodied car that had just won its AACA Grand

National award before the owner passed on.  At a

good auction, it was bid up to only $75,000.  Eventually,

the owner eked out $89,000.  And that was a Lincoln,

a custom body, not a 4-door, and after $200,000 in

recent restoration costs.

Dealers post prices that are unrealistic, typically 50% to

100% above market value, so let's go by documented

SELLING prices.  We don't want to turn more people

away from the hobby, and from this era of car.   I'm grateful

that there are affordable cars, even Classics, if one

searches hard enough.

1936 Lincoln LeBaron 1.JPG

On 6/2/2017 at 11:14 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Four-door sedans, as nice as they are, don't

bring a lot of money.  A few years ago there was

a beautifully restored Marmon sedan, green in color,

for sale for $35,000 on the AACA forum.  It took

quite some time to sell.

Most sedans even CCCA eligible do not have AACA and/or CCCA badges on them, as they are just not economical to restore =  My experience is people will pay a little more for a really well done car.  And, some sedans do exceptionally well: ex. ACD family cars, large Horsepower matched to truly rare, and ..... 

I try not to use closed (or even open) Lincolns as an example - they tend to sell lower than comparable cars and that is a shame as they are super nice cars.  I have for sale a 40 Lincoln Continental Convertible that was one of those car that had had huge money spent on it matched to being a well cared for car to begin with - and end result is that it is better than 98% of the 40's and 41's out there.  It has received its fair share of low offers, but for a few thousand over the price of an average car they will be rewarded with a prize.

• 1 month later...

I,m back,been waiting on the second pin striper for five weeks.If he ever shows up it will get done.

l did paint the wheel hubs burgundy to match body color,also blacked out under rear fenders,

Both of these upgrades made an improvement 

I just lowered the price to 38500 on classiccars.com

That should be close for a A A.C.A Senior and full C.C C A  classic "we will see in due time"

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...