Teves Pump/Motor Adventure

DAVES89

This could have been posted under the "What did you do with your Reatta today" but it was an ongoing issue I have been having and the problems that popped up yesterday and was resolved today.

As most knows I only drive the Red in the summer. For about 2 summers when I would start the Red I would get the Amber ABS light but not the Red brake light warning when the car was going through it's checks. I never worried about it because my thoughts were if the Amber light came on and stayed on that would be my warning to address my brakes immediatly.

When I got the Red out the other day the resivoir was empty so I added some brake fluid then pumped up the brakes checked and filled the resivoir to the correct level. 

Then yesterday the amber light came on when I was driving. I thought OK no big deal an ABS wheel speed sensor lead failed. So I grabbed my multi meter and checked the two front leads and I was surprised to see both fronts were good. I had nicer clothes on and was short on time so continued on. I got to my next stop and thought I would I would do a quick Teves brake check. Well the brakes wouldn't even "pump up" and then when I started the car I got a "hard pedal" that wouldn't go away. I thought about going home and swapping for the Black but as luck would have it the pump started working and the brakes worked fine. I finished my day got home and parked the car for that day with the brakes working fine.

This morning I swapped out the pressure switch thinking it wouldn't let the pump run. Well that wasn't it because when I put power direct to the pump bypassing the switch the pump still wouldn't run. So down to the basement, grabbed a pump and motor checked to make sure it would run [it did] and swapped it in. Tried the car, pump wouldn't run. Swapped the pressure switch from inventory and started the car all is good. The pump/motor ran the right length of time and shut off. The warning lights came on, did their check and turned off. Took the car for a run and the brakes are back working as good as ever.

Good news is that the used accumulator on the newly installed pump/motor works good. I did throw the pessure switch away. I then stripped down the old pump/motor removing the pressure switch and accumulator and put them back in inventory. I am now out of Pump/motors but that yard near West Bend has some. I'll grab them on Friday when I head that way.

BTW the brushes on that just removed pump/motor were really worn. I have asked Ronnie to post the pictures of it  

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

The picture Ronnie just posted for me shows how worn the brushes were. They were worn down to the keeper. The shaft the brushes run on were really dirty [the oicture shows the shaft after I wiped them off. There was a lot of dirt and grindings inside the motor, I can see why it didn't run anymore.

I did remove the hose "elbow" so if anyone breaks theirs off I have one.

This begs the question in whether repalcement  brushes can be found. Ive serviced brushes in many motors, and would do so on this one if a source for new brushes can be located. Guess I'm  going on the hunt...

Went through a day of driving around [about 40 miles] and the lights come on/off as they should with the first start/test. Brake pedal is not hard and everything works as it should. I did a semi "panic stop and brake reaction was as I expected. I also did a couple of quck braking to see the response of the accumulator and to see if a warning light would come on and none did. So it looks that this pump/motor I installed to replace the existing pump/motor had a good accumulator but a bad pressure switch. That's OK as I have a number of pressure switches but I only had a new accumulator in back stock, now I have a good tested working accumulator.

Tomorrow [Friday] will be a better test as I will be driving about 200 miles...

Sorry went out in the trash and are gone. The pictures I had posted are pretty good and are all I had. 

On another note. As I was going to be in the area [stopping in to do some errands for my mom] I stopped in at that You Pick near West Bend and pulled some last parts and then walked the yard for pumps/motors. I came up with two. One from an '88 Reatta the other from a '90 Cadillac. I am now back in inventory and feel "safe" again. I like the idea of having inventory when something happens.

Driving an almost 30 year old car daily is challenging and can only be worse when one doesn't have parts... 

56 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I like the idea of having inventory when something happens. 

I definitely can relate.  Between my '91 Reatta and my '92 Riviera, many parts are interchangeable.  Have been told that I have so much inventory to feel "safe", that if I had a chassis I could just build another Reatta or Riviera.