transmission not shifting.

Jim

Barney just posted about a coupe in MI that is for sale and the owner says the transmission does not shift out of first. 

I picked up a convertible parts car a few months ago but have decided not to part it out and keep it as my summer "driver". My transmission is doing the same thing.

My plan is to take a complete engine/trans/cradle out of one of my parts cars and put it into this convertible but-----------------

Barney wondered if it might be something simple as am I.

Anyone know anything about transmissions?

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Check the transmission fluid level.

I did a tranny swap on the Black about 2 years ago. After we got it in and it was still on the stands we fired it up and watched it shift through all the gears. We got it on the ground and drove it. It would not shift out of first. Took it to a buddy of mine who owns a transmission shop and he got it to work by filling it up to the right level. He also added a seal softener. Instead of checking the owners manual I called the local parts house and they told me how mant quarts I needed, which is what we put in. The transmisiion guy said the car goes into a "cripple" mode and won't shift out of first if the level is too low. 

Put on about 15-20,000 miles and it has never missed a shift yet...

Dave,

Thanks for the thoughts. I did check the trans level and it is full.

I see I posted this topic in the buy/sell forum so I also just now posted in the discussion forum.

• 3 months later...