Hemmings Motor News

62BillT

Hemmings Motor News just had a big price increase.  My simple little monthly ad that I run now and then just jumped from $17 to $27.  I told the receptionist "If you don't mind me saying so, that's going to hurt business".  She didn't disagree.  I was also telling her that the book used to be real thick and it has shrunk down through the years.  And my phone doesn't even ring as much as it used to.  Well anyway, I thought about it and told her that I still have some time till the dead line and to let me think about it.  I then said "see, you are losing business already, lol".  She was real nice about it all though and I thanked her.  

At one time I would read the thick "brown paper cover" Hemmings from cover to cover... I gave up on it when the "pre 1914" section got down to a single column and 90% of it was 50s and 60s stuff. I just didn't have the patience to wade through it any longer.

• Like 1

Things change. What used to be the "Bible of the Old Car Hobby" is now just another magazine. I used to have a first class subscription and knew exactly when it would arrive. Upon arrival, I stopped whatever I was doing that day until I read it from cover to cover and called all the ads for cars and parts that interested me. Lots of great cars used to be advertised in Hemmings and it was really the only source for parts other than swap meets. Now, I just have  a regular mail subscription and it stays in the wrapper for a week or two before I have a chance to read it. I still advertise there on occasion and on occasion still sell, but I hardly ever buy either cars or parts through the pages of the magazine. Most of the people that respond to my for sale ads are responding through the online Hemmings and  not the paper copy.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I've prescribed to Hemmings since the mid 1960's (yes, I know the correct terminology is "subscribed", but those who share the disease I have will commiserate and understand).

It used to be the go to place to find cars, before the Internet.  There'd be cars advertised at fair market prices, that were outside one's area of searching.  I bought a LOT of cars through Hemmings in the 70's and 80's, all at fair market value or below.

Now, with the Internet reaching every little corner of our world, it seems that most of the cars that are advertised in Hemmings are the overpriced ones, that don't find a ready market locally or by word of mouth.  I'm amazed at some of the asking prices in Hemmings now, and I do follow and understand, with my limited mental capacity, the old car market.

People not associated with old cars say they are "rare", yet there are tens of thousands (yes, I stand by that numeration) for sale at any point of time.  Unfortunately, Hemmings is no longer the go-to place to find fairly priced cars, and in fact, is by page count and volume hugely populated with dealer ads...

• Like 1

I got a subscription when my 1915 Buick was in an article in it. Digging through a pile of magazines today I found about half of the ones that came after that are still in the wrapper. Yup. Easily get bored looking at all the "New Iron" in there. Dandy Dave!  

• Like 1

I remember in the 60s a family friend put his 1st class subscription in my Dad's name because our last name started with B and his with W and was convinced they sent them out alphabetical and he could save a day or so in getting it each month. When it came my Dad would call him, he would drive over and pick it up and a day or so late would give it back, so my Dad had a free subscription that he still got ahead of the bulk rate mailings.

• Like 1

I like the Hemmings magazine and want to see it

continue to do well and even thrive.  However, I agree

with many of your comments:  Whereas the magazine

peaked at 900 pages of ads, it now usually has about

400 pages of ads.  And many ads today are larger,

with a photograph, so there are fewer ads per page--

meaning, there are probably far fewer ads than a

mere page count would indicate.

Many people I talk to say, "I used to get Hemmings, but..."

Please note, though:  There's a huge advantage to

having that printed magazine.  If a car is overpriced,

a buyer can look up a magazine 6 or 9 or 12 months old,

and call the number.  The car is likely still for sale.

I did that very thing once, but you can't do that with a website.

And Hemmings vets their advertisers, which websites don't do--

giving a better chance of dealing with an honest seller or vendor.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I look forward to getting Hemmings Motor News. I like the Auction pictures, and reading what the people think of the cars. Hudson section is about 5-6 cars for sale. The HET club magazine is a better place to see Hudsons for sale. I do get Hemmings Blog emails, I do read some of those, this one was interesting. https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/04/02/creative-industries-of-detroit-secret-mysteres-and-little-cars-lost-and-found/?refer=news

• Like 1

From a customer's standpoint:

If a vendor has advertised for a long time

in Hemmings Motor News, it gives me some

confidence when I'm dealing with him for the 

first time;  whereas if some unknown company

is advertising cars or car parts on the internet,

that company starts with a bit of a disadvantage,

as they are a totally unknown entity. 

So there's still a great value to being a long-term

Hemmings advertiser.  It's almost like a recommendation

from a friend.

• Like 8

Just now, plymouthcranbrook said:

Regarding the remark about the overpriced cars all being in Hemmings, I turn pale at what they must ask in the mag as the e-bay site prices make me faint already. I am so glad I bought my two when I did as I could never buy even one of them now.

Mr. Plymouth, don't be disheartened by exorbitant

asking prices.  I think those asking prices hurt the hobby,

but I think they are just pricing ploys by dealers

who are hoping for that one-in-a-thousand buyer.

Else, they are by private parties following suit.

You'll probably find that those cars rarely sell for those

prices:  On Ebay, realistic high bids are often just

a fraction of the asking prices.  Those dealers are just using

Ebay as a means of advertising, and don't really expect

to sell there.

Some of those cars go from dealer to dealer, to auction,

to dealer, and are still on the market a year or two after you may

see them. That's why keeping ads for many months is

a useful technique.  

I really enjoy Hemmings, and I read it closely when it arrives.  I've never bought a car through it, but I've pursued a bunch of leads from it.  I would think the problem is that these days there are so many different sources of cars and parts: From ebay to club websites and club newsletters to Hemmings' online ads.  With so many different ways to sell a car, the market splinters and there is no one place to look.  I still think Hemmings is one of those places to look, at least for a lot of cars.

• Like 2

I have been taking HMN since I was 14 or 15 having seen it at a friend's house whose dad was a collector.  That, the local newspaper and the little bargain fliers that would come out weekly, and word of mouth were the sources for cars then, along with club publications and car events.  I tend to agree with 35Pack as cars do show up that may not be advertised elsewhere, especially by older hobbyists or those who believe HMN is still the way to reach serious buyers.

Personally, I would rather have seen HMN follow a business plan of keeping costs down then adding the fluff as AJ points out.  Their knowledge tends to be on Brit cars (I like them as well, but only part of the hobby) and 60s - 70s stuff - a reflection of the editorial team which is ok, but don't mistake them for experts in general.  They seem to lack deep knowledge on prewar cars as can be seen in the auction comments.  I skim the "magazine section" and generally skip most of it.  And yes, the ads have gotten thinner.  Model A & T parts are generally same dealers/parts houses with literally less than 5 individuals selling or trading parts each month for the two most popular prewar cars.  I don't put blame on HMN as the Internet is beyond their control, and I think their online listings are probably more and more of their revenue each year, however increased advertising and subscriptions are not going to help their subscriber base.

I will likely subscribe as long as they put it out there though, but these days it is really more of a tradition than a tool for me. 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

For the fluff, the auction coverage is not really that great.  Sport Car Market does a better job.  Between the two,  I always read the Sport Car Market when I get it, and eventually thumb through the Hemmings.   Although Sports Car Market is annoying in its own ways.

When Hemmings was sold 15 years ago (I think that was when it sold) it was a LOT of money.   Sort of like buying a newspaper business which feels like a bad idea.

• Like 2

Folks, thanks for all the comments, both good and bad. As I'm sure you're all well aware, the cost of business continues to creep upward, so we often have to make business decisions which aren't universally popular, but which are necessary to remain in business (and to support more than 100 jobs here in Bennington, Vermont). I'm no salesman, so I won't try to pitch you all on choosing Hemmings the next time you're buying or selling cars or parts, but I will echo what John_S_in_Penna pointed out: We vet every ad that goes into our magazines or online, something few (if any) other classified ad sellers do, so what you see in our pages and on our website are serious buyers and sellers and only serious buyers and sellers. In addition, we're always working on new ways to connect buyers and sellers and to make the relationship between seller and buyer even more secure.

As for the editorial content, I sure hope y'all don't lump anything under my byline with the "fluff!" :lol: Admittedly, we're not perfect (who is?) and we don't know everything (who does?), but we have a great readership that keeps us on our toes, and hopefully out of the hundreds of pages' worth of stories we write every month, you find something that piques your interest.

We do listen to all of your feedback, whether it's sent with a stamp, via editorial@hemmings.com, or in the comments to the stories on the Hemmings Daily or on our Facebook page.

Daniel Strohl

Web Editor

Hemmings Motor News

Edited by H.M.X (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Thanks for the reply Daniel, your hard work is appreciated.  I've subscribed since you could fit HMN in your back pocket and it was 90% Model Ts and As.  Although I lament the now insignificant brass car section, the blame is properly placed on those who are brass car folks but have gone another direction for whatever reason.  My method of digesting HMN has never changed - a quick look (even quicker now) at brass stuff, Model Ts, Model As, parts for them, then on to MGs and GTOs, then about third read I'll begin to wander around into the other sections.  I still eagerly await its delivery and have passed copies along to many other old car folks who surprisingly have never seen one before.  I consider it much like the Idiot-box in the family room - if you don't like what's on, just change the channel.  I pass the vast majority of those silly ads inserted by auction companies, or car collections/dealers where no price is disclosed, and I'll occasionally just glance at the auction reports. I do miss greatly what used to be a strong "automobilia" section.  It's been moved to the tail end of the mag and the definition has changed over the years to "modern toy cars."     Still, that's business and I understand.  Keep up the good work and may you guys never run out gas!

Terry

• Like 1

Dan, thanks for the reply, for listening, and for caring what

your customers think.

If you want to enhance Hemmings' internet presence,

consider allowing another perquisite to your subscribers:

Set up your internet listings so that a user can

scan prior months also--even back a year or two, or more.

As I mentioned on this topic, the ability to look at PAST

ads is a big advantage, since many cars today begin

with optimistic prices and require some time to reach reality.

I know of no website that does this, so Hemmings' subscribers

would be getting another advantage.

I once called about a Stutz for sale in Hemmings Motor News

a year after the ad appeared, and the car was still for sale.

(I didn't buy the car, but the seller is now a friend--yet another

advantage of networking through your magazine!)

So old, archived ads can be very useful.

• Like 1

I have been a Hemmings subscriber for the past 37 years and still enjoy the magazine very much.  I like the auction coverage and the articles especially Daniel Strohl's.  I don't consider them "fluff" at all. Hemmings was always considered the Bible and was helpful to us all in the early days before the internet.  I recently put an ad with a picture for my '51 Ford Country Squire and with this type of ad it is also put on the internet site and you can put multiple pictures at no additional charge.  I priced the car fairly and it sold before the magazine came out.  I got a LOT of calls from all over the country.  I think advertising in Hemmings give your car tremendous coverage and it is well worth the cost of the ad.

• Like 1

I have been a steady and avid reader of Hemmings for close to 40 years . But given my Pacific N.W. location and small hobby budget I have only made one purchase out of Hemmings over all those years. So over a decade ago I dropped my subscription and just do a quick scan on the newsstand. As mentioned the Brass era section is miniscule and only takes 30 seconds . And as much as I am interested in the lowest end of vintage racing the pertinent section is done in a minute or less{ and 99% of the listings over any possible strain of the budget}. 

I have subscribed to Hemmings Classic car for several years but last year let that one go as well.  There is a new shop building to build and pay for and at this point all hobby expenses are under the microscope.  No doubt I will go back to Classic cars once I retire the shop debt, but for now .50 cent swap meet magazines have to make do.

Hemmings in all it's forms is still at the top of the heap ; and I continue to be a big, just non paying Fan.

Greg in Canada

Hemmings was a big part of my hobby life from the mid 1970's to the mid 1990's. It was the perennial Christmas gift subscription and always good for a few intensive evenings of reading.

I am trying to remember ever addressing an envelope and licking a stamp to send off a payment for something. I don't think I ever did.

Remember that from the mid-1950's until the late 1970's the only non-club media coverage outside Hemmings were a few random books and magazines from Britain. There were a few exceptions, not many.

I remember Hemmings starting Special Interest Auto for that lost group of unrecognized cars. That was great. I had a subscription to Hemmings, Skinned Knuckles, and bought a random copy of SIA at the news stand; pretty satisfying.

Back them I had a friend who asked for back issues of Hemmings. He thought the time would bring sellers around to realistic prices. He was cheap about everything except what he owned.

Someone gave me a copy of Hemmings a couple of months ago. It is on a shelf by the toilet with Ochee Rich's Lincoln Continental book and the Standard Catalog of Cadillac. The Hemmings is on the bottom, Ochee on top. Oh, well,change is the way we recognize life.

I might add that in the old Hemmings the stories were all my own and based on the fantasies surrounding the advertisement. I didn't need a columnist or author to tell me the stories. They were all mine.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Most of us are vitally aware of the impact the Internet has made on the traditional print/press.  It has earned a place in many parts of our lives for its power and sheer volume of timely information.  With that said, almost any Internet session is peppered with pop-ups, video's, and ads that are annoying, generally non-pertinent which can also detracting from web performance.  To those that say that the Internet experience can be tedious and stressful, they are being kind.  None the less, we all use it.

However, there is an 'island' where you can escape all of this, and that is a really good magazine or publication - like the Hemming's offerings.  A good cup of coffee, the dog curled up at your feet and a new Hemming's Classic Car, Muscle Car magazine or the 'Bible' itself.  I have learned a lot from all of them and it has made me appreciate many cars I never gave a second thought to.  Furthermore, the 'Bible' dabbles into planes, trains, boats, tractors, etc. with interesting and informative articles from time to time.

Looking at the columnist pictures to see what generation they are from is usually not necessary.  Most are right in my wheelhouse.  I usually read them first.  Most are spot on.

I for one really appreciate the time and effort that Hemming's puts in all their publications.  I must, since I have kept all of the magazines since day one !!

Hemming's:  Keep the faith and keep up the good work !!            

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H.M.X said:

Folks, thanks for all the comments, both good and bad. As I'm sure you're all well aware, the cost of business continues to creep upward, so we often have to make business decisions which aren't universally popular, but which are necessary to remain in business (and to support more than 100 jobs here in Bennington, Vermont). I'm no salesman, so I won't try to pitch you all on choosing Hemmings the next time you're buying or selling cars or parts, but I will echo what John_S_in_Penna pointed out: We vet every ad that goes into our magazines or online, something few (if any) other classified ad sellers do, so what you see in our pages and on our website are serious buyers and sellers and only serious buyers and sellers. In addition, we're always working on new ways to connect buyers and sellers and to make the relationship between seller and buyer even more secure.

As for the editorial content, I sure hope y'all don't lump anything under my byline with the "fluff!" :lol: Admittedly, we're not perfect (who is?) and we don't know everything (who does?), but we have a great readership that keeps us on our toes, and hopefully out of the hundreds of pages' worth of stories we write every month, you find something that piques your interest.

We do listen to all of your feedback, whether it's sent with a stamp, via editorial@hemmings.com, or in the comments to the stories on the Hemmings Daily or on our Facebook page.

Daniel Strohl

Web Editor

Hemmings Motor News

Not to get off the topic here, but. I have posted comments on this forum about some things that go on behind the scenes, in regards to what small businesses have to deal with in this hobby/trade/industry. And now that I have the ear of a "web editor" I would like to take the opportunity to say, IMO this hobby/trade/industry would do it's self a lot of good to start a conversation about this topic. I think it will make it a better place for people working in it, and for people wanting to get involved. I can not speak about other States, and in no way am I saying anything bad about the car scene around the Country. But there are some real issues that should be talked about. I would be happy to talk about this topic with you, if there is any interest. Xander Wildeisen,  Wild Iron Classic & Custom Cars. 

• Like 1

I find it interesting that no one mentioned the online version of this magazine, not even H.M.X.  This format has been my choice for reading this magazine for several years now.  I can read the magazine on my computer or tablet on the day it arrives (no waiting by the mailbox for a damaged issue) and I can view back issues with the click of the mouse.  I don't miss the brown paper stack on my desk at all.  On top of all that, it's way cheaper.  Feel free to reply with your list(s) of why the online version won't work for you; I've heard quite few already like:

I've always done it that way. Yup, old habits are hard to break.

It's hard to read for my old eyes. The online version can be magnified on-screen.

I like the feel of it in my hands.  Well, that's fine.

I can take it with me. My laptop is portable and I can carry all of the back issues with me.

There's more I'm sure so, chose your version and I'll chose mine.   

WParo in VT

• Like 3

Reasons for liking the paper magazine aren't excuses, though, Mr. Tripwire.

It's as though some people enjoy Hudsons, others Hupmobiles;

some like digital clocks, others analogue.

Some people have observed that the world

is going to become "post-historic,"  that, if the written

word is entirely digital, people will be leaving

no long-lasting record for future

generations to look back at.  As a car enthusiast,

I can look at 100-year-old magazines and read the

thoughts and practices of the people living then;

but if no magazines had been created or preserved,

there would be no record.

Look at the computer files you created in the 1990's on

5" or 8" floppy disks.  Can you read them?  Probably not!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Thanks for the reply Daniel, your hard work is appreciated.  I've subscribed since you could fit HMN in your back pocket and it was 90% Model Ts and As.  Although I lament the now insignificant brass car section, the blame is properly placed on those who are brass car folks but have gone another direction for whatever reason.  My method of digesting HMN has never changed - a quick look (even quicker now) at brass stuff, Model Ts, Model As, parts for them, then on to MGs and GTOs, then about third read I'll begin to wander around into the other sections.  I still eagerly await its delivery and have passed copies along to many other old car folks who surprisingly have never seen one before.  I consider it much like the Idiot-box in the family room - if you don't like what's on, just change the channel.  I pass the vast majority of those silly ads inserted by auction companies, or car collections/dealers where no price is disclosed, and I'll occasionally just glance at the auction reports. I do miss greatly what used to be a strong "automobilia" section.  It's been moved to the tail end of the mag and the definition has changed over the years to "modern toy cars."     Still, that's business and I understand.  Keep up the good work and may you guys never run out gas!

Terry

Yeah, as a general car publication, sometimes those segments like brass tend to get lost in the crowd. Could be, too, that brass cars aren't trading hands as much these days?

dan

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Dan, thanks for the reply, for listening, and for caring what

your customers think.

If you want to enhance Hemmings' internet presence,

consider allowing another perquisite to your subscribers:

Set up your internet listings so that a user can

scan prior months also--even back a year or two, or more.

As I mentioned on this topic, the ability to look at PAST

ads is a big advantage, since many cars today begin

with optimistic prices and require some time to reach reality.

I know of no website that does this, so Hemmings' subscribers

would be getting another advantage.

I once called about a Stutz for sale in Hemmings Motor News

a year after the ad appeared, and the car was still for sale.

(I didn't buy the car, but the seller is now a friend--yet another

advantage of networking through your magazine!)

So old, archived ads can be very useful.

We've discussed what value there might be in leaving online ads up beyond their expiration date in the past. Researchers would better be able to see trends in pricing. We could build more stories based on that expanded set of data. However, we'd lose quite a bit of revenue in renewals. We'll keep thinking of ways to make those ads available without losing that revenue.

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Not to get off the topic here, but. I have posted comments on this forum about some things that go on behind the scenes, in regards to what small businesses have to deal with in this hobby/trade/industry. And now that I have the ear of a "web editor" I would like to take the opportunity to say, IMO this hobby/trade/industry would do it's self a lot of good to start a conversation about this topic. I think it will make it a better place for people working in it, and for people wanting to get involved. I can not speak about other States, and in no way am I saying anything bad about the car scene around the Country. But there are some real issues that should be talked about. I would be happy to talk about this topic with you, if there is any interest. Xander Wildeisen,  Wild Iron Classic & Custom Cars. 

Sent you a DM.

48 minutes ago, tripwire said:

I find it interesting that no one mentioned the online version of this magazine, not even H.M.X.  This format has been my choice for reading this magazine for several years now.  I can read the magazine on my computer or tablet on the day it arrives (no waiting by the mailbox for a damaged issue) and I can view back issues with the click of the mouse.  I don't miss the brown paper stack on my desk at all.  On top of all that, it's way cheaper.  Feel free to reply with your list(s) of why the online version won't work for you; I've heard quite few already like:

I've always done it that way. Yup, old habits are hard to break.

It's hard to read for my old eyes. The online version can be magnified on-screen.

I like the feel of it in my hands.  Well, that's fine.

I can take it with me. My laptop is portable and I can carry all of the back issues with me.

There's more I'm sure so, chose your version and I'll chose mine.   

WParo in VT

Like I said, I'm no salesman. A lot of our overseas customers really like the digital versions of the magazines - postage sometimes cost more than the magazine itself!

2 hours ago, Uncle_Buck said:

However, there is an 'island' where you can escape all of this

Around here we call it a perch. That's where I put the borrowed Hemmings, the Rich Continental book, and the Standard Catalog of Cadillac. It's a solitary thing.

The internet is like a four holer and you got position two or three, always elbowed in on.

Bernie

5 hours ago, H.M.X said:

Yeah, as a general car publication, sometimes those segments like brass tend to get lost in the crowd. Could be, too, that brass cars aren't trading hands as much these days?

dan

Dan,

I must disagree.  Brass cars are trading more now that many of the Brass Car guys are aging out of the hobby.  Just check out the HCCA Buy/Sell listings to see how many are being sold online.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Dan,

I must disagree.  Brass cars are trading more now that many of the Brass Car guys are aging out of the hobby.  Just check out the HCCA Buy/Sell listings to see how many are being sold online.

What's more... no brass cars are being sold to people who have a nostalgic attachment to them from their youth for simple reason that there probably isn't anyone left that remembers them in everyday use. Thirty years ago I expected that prices might fall when the "brass car generation" passed on. Boy was I wrong... for the most part, the prices have only gone up and "entry level" is nearly always a 5 figure number, even for dismantled long abandoned project cars (which is what I own and the only brass car I could afford).

• Like 1

I was a Hemmings subscriber in the 70's but college and early career put a halt to my vintage car hobby.  When I picked back up I was already well versed in the web as a search tool.  I don't take any paper subscriptions at this point in my life, not even newspapers.  Some magazines like Garden and Gun (can I say that?) are a digital subscription.  One blessing to digital subscriptions and the web, Saturday house cleaning no longer considers hauling 15 pounds of magazines and papers to the recycle bin; the house actually stays alot more organized looking now.

• Like 2

I still have the first copy of Hemming's I was given back in the early 1960's, back then you had to know someone with a subscription. So many great cars were listed back then, and it is shocking to see how little they sold for compared to their value today. I bet few people know what SSAE means today. Back then you mailed your questions to the seller about the condition of a car or parts, if you expected an answer a stamped self addressed envelope was mailed with your questions. A seller that was really serious, spent the extra ten cents and had his phone number  published after his address, that may have been the beginning of big bucks entering the hobby. Post WWII cars killed my interest in Hemming's, but is was a great ride up until around 1976-78 or so. Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The response in post 28 pretty much sums up my points.  Market dictates what ads flow in but in terms of magazine content, your more likely to see a big spread on a mid 70s GM intermediate than on a Stutz Bearcat.  It is what it is, will keep it though, unless subscription gets exorbitant.  I am definitely in the camp, that, while PC literate and happy to use that tool, like a traditional periodical or book as well.  I did pick up a subscription to HMN Classic Car because it was too cheap to turn down, well see how it goes, I had it a while back but dropped due to lack of interest in a lot of the content.  That one though, for around $10, I can give away at work when I am done thumbing through it.

On another note re HMN, does anyone keep them all?   I remember tossing around 3 - 4 Xerox boxes of them when I was in my 20s - just ten years accumulation took up a LOT of room!!  These days I keep one or two issues a year if I remember to and give the rest away, usually someone will take them.  Bob's issues obviously go back further, but it is fun to see the changes in prices over the years.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

On another note re HMN, does anyone keep them all?   I remember tossing around 3 - 4 Xerox boxes of them when I was in my 20s - just ten years accumulation took up a LOT of room!!  These days I keep one or two issues a year if I remember to and give the rest away, usually someone will take them.  Bob's issues obviously go back further, but it is fun to see the changes in prices over the years.

I keep all my real old ones, but when I was a monthly subscriber, I also just saved two a year.  Since I let my subscription run out, I just pick up about one a year now when I'm around some of the stores that still sell them. 

Just to add a little more info, I still really like the publication and I agree it is still the best of the best out there in book form.  I also like to have something to hold and not always have to rely on electricity to read something, whether it is a HMN or other. 

But as a small-time vendor, it has become too inefficient for me.  If it would make my phone ring like it used to back in the 90's, I would gladly be a month to month advertiser as well as renewing my subscription, as long as it could be a reasonable part of my budget, like it used to be.