1960 Electra Heater Core

avgwarhawk

It appears I have a leak at the heater core or control valve. I smell the sickening sweet antifreeze when engaging the heat. Fog on windows. I opened a small access door under the dash for the cable. It is dry inside. I see partial the core. I suspect the control valve my be the culprit as the coolant smell lasts about 5 minutes. Then its fine. Removal of the core cover is not difficult? Any tips on any dreaded hidden nut/bolt that needs to come out for the heater box removal ? Is the experience of most it is found the valve is found leaking?

The valve was leaking on my 60 Invicta and the core was pressure tested with no leaks.  Getting the belden cables disconnected for the controls is a nuisance.  The 60 Buick Chassis service manual has a god description for core and valve assembly removal.

Bob Engle

Hello Bob,

I did some more investigation and it would be the heater box is removed entirely from the inside.   Mine is a non-a/c car.  I did read that the control valve is generally the culprit.  I took a look through the access door and did not see the telltale moisture or smell it for that matter.   I also wiped around with my finger only to find no moisture.  Driving home from the show I got the brief smell of antifreeze when I put the heat on.   At any rate, I suspect the valve and will tackle the repair.  Not the first heater core I have done.  Thankfully it is not a Ford/Mercury where the entire dash is in your lap to get at the core.  Oh, and a 98 Dodge mini-van.  That's another story.  

Thanks for the tip and Belden cable nuisance.        

I had a catastrophic failure of the valve and I recall sending it to a guy who specialized in rebuilding these.  Mine is a 60 Electra w/o AC.  The job wasn't bad at all and The manual was very helpful. 

I also recall that it had that smell for weeks before it dumped into the floor.  My core was good.

Fine automobile you have, I drive mine almost every day - over 200 miles just today.  Take care, -Joel

Thanks for the tips!  Catastrophic failure has a real bad ring to it. Fusick carries the valve. I'll dig into at the end of the month.  I have a very busy next few weeks. 

As far as daily driving I can see that very easily.  Very comfortable car to drive.  The day I purchased I drove 188 miles.  It was pleasurable.