Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barney Eaton

1991 Red/grey coupe

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

sold

I am posting this for a widow in Flushing MI. her husband worked at the 3800 plant and have had the Reatta since new, it has seen little service since 2014 when her husband passed.

It is a red coupe, grey interior, standard seats, CD but not working, no sunroof.

She was told it need a transmission rebuild but it is not shifting out of first, it may be a simple fix. The car has 103,500 miles and was not used in the winter.

Has new battery, exhaust and converter......she is going to send pictures and I will post them when I get them.

She indicated the car is garaged, so I expect the paint to be in pretty good condition

Her asking price is $1000 which may be a steal even if the transmission needs work.

Contact her at 810-496-2040......she probably will not answer the phone...leave a message and she will call back.

This could benefit both parties.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Has anyone contacted this lady yet?

I called today and left a message. Hope to hear back soon.

Jim K

I have not, but it's a good deal.  It's a one owner Reatta, last year rare and reasonably low miles with new parts recently installed that exceed the asking price.

Spoke with the lady last evening. They are the second owner, bought it in mid '90's. She said the color is claret. That is the burgundy, correct? Plan to see it this Sunday. Will post pics if I can.

Jim K

Jim

I am going off a poor memory but I did not think Claret was offered in 1991. 

Posted (edited)

Claret was available in 1991, an attractive color usually paired with the tan/saddle or grey interior.  Unfortunately, most "tired" Reatta of this color have issues with the clear coat; examples without clear coat issues are gorgeous!!

I bought one of the "tired" ones in 2005 with 125,000 miles for $2000.  It lasted 6 years and 45,000 miles with a teen aged son who could only fit 1 passenger with him.  He learned a lot about small things like changing oil and fixing headlights; sadly he missed the lesson about keeping an eye on the gauges because one day the temperature gauge was rising and he kept driving (on his way to girlfriends house).  Now I have a parts car with a blown engine :P

Kodak #6 203.jpg

Kodak #6 219.jpg

Edited by Nittany
trying to compress photos (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

79 coupes made in claret in 91. 18 of these with slate grey interior. Per the book All 1988-91 Buick Reatta Colors. And yes, this color seems to wear a bit more poorly than others. When clean and fresh it looks outstanding,  but most I've seen are pretty tired looking due to clear coat failure. 

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Thanks guys. Nittany, with your good photo, that does help.  Kevin  Thanks for the numbers.  As with the Silver coupe a little further down for sale for $1000, these are collectible bargains.  They may not go up in value, but as a collector, we can enjoy the knowledge that these are rare cars and when among friends they will be appreciated. 

I guess I never saw a 1991 Claret.  And, the further I get away from the hobby the worse my memory gets.   Like you guys, Claret "has to" pop or they are one of the worst looking tired color Reattas.  The details seem to get washed away.

But when shiny they represent a rarely seen color almost perfectly blended at the factory.   How many Claret shades have you seen on any make in the last 30 years? 

Posted (edited)

OK, viewed the car today.

It is bright red, with painted moldings. Paint and clear coat in great shape. One TINY bubble at the front lowest part of the passengers side rear wheel opening. Underside is not rusty at all. Michelin tires nearly new. Converter and muffler are new, center pipe original. Seats need leather conditioner and cleaning. Headliner new. Cradle bushings are crumbling and require replacement.

She only has storage insurance on it, so she only let me drive it up and down the driveway. Engine runs beautifully. I tried to get the diagnostics to work, per the ROJ instructions, but was not successful. 

Trans fluid is not burnt or dark. Engages reverse and drive quickly. She doesn't have any real repair estimate of the trans (three shops looked at it) other than "it needs a transmission". I tend to disagree, since it has not been abused and has seen a pretty easy life. 

Now, looking for educated guesses from you all here. 

Can these OBD1 vehicles be scanned to test or manipulate the shift solenoids? My optimistic thought is that the shift solenoids are not up shifting the transmission. 

Thanks, All

Edited by jimmyk (see edit history)

Here are a couple of pictures of the car, it looks pretty good.

grey seat.jpg

LF view 1991.jpg

Posted (edited)

Nittany- you still have the car pictured with the blown engine? Planning to fix/sell/junk it? Just curious.

believe the shift solenoids can be cycled from OBD  on the 91's, but must be done with the engine NOT running (key in run, trans in park).  You have to listen carefully (or have a helper) for the click as they engage and disengage. Could be a bad solenoid or even a wiring, connection or PCM issue (if lucky) otherwise you'd  be going in to the tranny case and replacing solenoid(s).

Of course, at over 100,000 I might be inclined to rebuild it at that point if already  replacing solenoids.  Not sure if solenoids can be done with the trans in-car or not. If you have to drop it anyway, then just rebuild it so you never have to worry about it.

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

All that talk about Claret and it turns out to be Bright Red BUT I learned a lot about Claret in 1991, so it was worth it.

I would buy it. You are obviously close enough to go take photos and see in person.  Shift solenoids would not be buried on these transmissions, should be accessible. At that mileage, this is a rare bargain.  No real body work - just need to clean up that one rust spot.  Wow on the cradle bushings but I suppose that's a maintenance item more or less.   Once done, your done.  No real interior work, just a lot of cleaning and conditioning, for a nice driver and small show type car. 

Claret Red Metallic (burgundy) was offered all 4 years of Reatta production. 1988-1990 offered Red interior (which was a burgundy color) and quite a few were made in that combination (I have owned 2 different 1990's)

Tan was probably the second most common interior. Grey is the other choice.

In 1991 the earlier Red interior was replaced with Flame Red. That combination was not an order form option in 1991 however records show 3 coupes were built.

Only 79 Claret coupes were built in 1991 and Tan accounted for 58, and Grey was the remaining 18.

The 1991 Red coupe in Michigan looks to be a good deal even if the transmission needs rebuilt....you might have a total in it of $3000 when done.

Like all years, bright red was a popular color and there were a total of 371 made.  301 had tan interior, 38 had flame red, 32 had grey

JimmyK,

The car certainly looks like a nice one.  Transmissions can be repaired or replaced, the bigger issue may be the cradle concern but that too can be fixed.  Are you going to buy it?  

When you get a chance please post the pictures you have taken.  Thanks and I do hope you buy it . . . I'm not in market for another Reatta, but if you don't buy it I wouldn't hesitate to visit Michigan with a car trailer.  :D

The lady selling the car says it was not driven in the Michigan winters.....I am sure it is not rust free like a southern car, but if it only saw Michigan summers, the cradle should not be an issue.

Nittany,

Haven't decided for yet. I didn't take any photos, she said that Barney had several.

I was thinking to buy it to "flip". But it's too nice of a car to flip. And Reattas are not usually quick sellers.

I'm surprised that the car is still for sale, being a '91, but it is a no option car.

Seeing Barney's post, I should clarify, the cradle bushings are shot, not the cradle. The underside of the car is very clean. She said they did not drive it in the rain or winter.

Jim k 

Talked to the lady owner today.  No new news except she is planning on putting it on Craigs list next month.

She said the tires were new last October, oil change, filter etc then about 600 miles on car since last October.

Says it will not shift out of 1st gear......this is the first year of the electronic transmission, this condition could easily be a electrical

problem, not needing a rebuild....she has not taken it to a transmission shop, only local mechanic.

100_8563.JPG

Car sold this past weekend............

1 person likes this

wish I had known of this car sooner, even though it would have cost me more with the Canadian currency exchange it would have been worth it, if anything else like this in a 1991 shows up please let me know  Barney has my #   David White  Niagara Falls Ontario Canada       thanks everyone