Reatta headlamp 'free spinning washer nuts'

Fox W.

I tried finding this specific bit of info to no avail.    I replaced my passenger headlamp motor recently, and I didn't torque down the nut that holds the bell crank to the motor output shaft well enough, so it came loose and now I'm back in there again.   This time I realized that I have a spare 'free spinning washer nut' that was in the wrong place (holding painted cover on) ;  I am pretty sure one of the two belongs on the top-end of the crank-arm.  But where does the other go?   I checked around and I see people using what looks like a normal nut/washer (new and bright silver) to hold the bell-crank to the motor shaft..  

Thanks.

I think I understand your reference to a "free spinning washer nut"

The only place they are used are on the front studs for the painted headlight cover.

The back nuts are the same size (as is everything around the headlights) but no washers

Surely you've seen that I attach good pictures to many of my posts, such as the turn-signal polishing one. :)    Canon 80D is what I usually use.  And I've certainly noticed and appreciated how much you make use of images and sideshows, it's a huge benefit and very helpful.

However this is a standardized term, as I learned just yesterday.   Google will show many results.   It's basically a nut with an integrated washer that is on a sleeve bearing and can spin independently of the nut.  

Image result for free spinning washer nut

Edited by Fox W. (see edit history)
  • Like 1