GregLaR

Why Are There No Good Car Guys In Hollywood?

JACK M    421

I saw Gatsby cars at the Warner Bros lot a couple of years ago.

Hot rods would be a good description

Also Batmobiles and the car from Harry Potter among others.

Rusty_OToole    405

A fibreglass hot rod with a Chevy v8 is a good description of what they did to Fitzgerald's story. Wonder when they are going to redo Romeo and Juliet as a couple of teenage hot rodders.

ply33    60
31 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

A fibreglass hot rod with a Chevy v8 is a good description of what they did to Fitzgerald's story. Wonder when they are going to redo Romeo and Juliet as a couple of teenage hot rodders.

They already did Romeo and Juliet as teenage gang members back in 1961.

kgreen    410
On 3/31/2017 at 1:32 PM, Brass is Best said:

Hollywood gets a lot of other things wrong when it comes to history. 

Hollywood gets a lot of other things wrong when it comes to history facts

• Like 1

Brass is Best    104
1 hour ago, kgreen said:

Hollywood gets a lot of other things wrong when it comes to history facts

History and fact can be two very different things.

• Like 1

jeff_a    46
On 4/9/2017 at 7:53 AM, ron hausmann said:

Jeff,

Thanks for mentioning me in your post and that car, although nice, was NOT a Kissel.

On a similar vein, most everyone has seen Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie, Great Gatsby. Unless I'm mistaken, the Great Gatsby era was in the early to mid 1920's, yet the two luxury cars cars used in the movie were much later years, possibly 1930's. Since there are so many wonderful early 1920's Stutzs, Kissel Kars, Mercers, and Marmons, i wonder why this otherwise well-placed movie didnt use more correct early American sports cars like these.

Ron Hausmann, 

Just as well it wasn't a Kissel Kar. It was probably an Apperson, a C.T. Silver Overland, a Jordan or something. Some wealthy flapper drove the roadster. Looking up the 20th Century Fox movie "Ace Eli", here are some reviews: "A bad idea"; "Wow, what a turkey"; "Disturbing"; "Repulsive"; and "Weird, pointless movie set in the Great Depression". 

Terry Wiegand, 

I was shocked to find out my family was in the car business a hundred years ago! The Brown brothers, H.H., J.D., & W.J., built a steam car of 6 h.p. in 1905. The automobile they built was one of eleven American cars called Brown, and it made it onto page 154 of The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942. "W.J." was Wm. Brown, my great-grandfather....someone both of us knew. I remember that my dad mentioned a Brown car connected with the family....but didn't know it was in The Standard Catalog until yesterday.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)