back seat installation tips??

riviadrian

I am trying to install the bottom portion of the rear seats in my 63. They were recently re-foamed and covered so it is tough to get the seat backs lifted up far enough to allow the bottoms enough room to lock into place.  If I lift the front of the seat bottoms too much, the bracket that holds the seat frame catches the seat cover.  

Does anyone have suggestions??  My neck and knees are ready for this part of the job to be finished.

Thanks,

-Adrian-

2 hours ago, riviadrian said:

I am trying to install the bottom portion of the rear seats in my 63. They were recently re-foamed and covered so it is tough to get the seat backs lifted up far enough to allow the bottoms enough room to lock into place.  If I lift the front of the seat bottoms too much, the bracket that holds the seat frame catches the seat cover.  

Does anyone have suggestions??  My neck and knees are ready for this part of the job to be finished.

Thanks,

-Adrian-

Adrian,

To me it sounds as if possibly your seats were overstuffed to some degree which will make reinstallation more difficult. Are the seat backs installed correctly? Hung correctly on the hooks and the screws at the bottom in place? If the back of the seat is riding too low that will hinder the installation of the seat bottom. You should not have to lift the front of the seat bottom that high to get the back portion of the seat to slide under the bottom of the seat back. You just need to clear the hooks/stops on the floor. The front of the seat is flexible to some degree to get it back far enough to back and over the front floor hooks/stops. I have only had my back seat out once and I do remember it took a few tries to get it to fit properly. The seat bottom fits like other GM models that I have had and they were the same way. If your seats are a little too overstuffed you may need an extra pair of hands to squish and manipulate seat foam while you try to install. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Bill

Mine were overstuffed too. Without the fronts seat in, I learned a little trick: Grab the back edge of the seat with your right hand. Make sure you are lined up. Lodge your right foot against the depression in the floor just before the location for the front seat. Take your left hand and grab the front edge of the seat while pressing your left knee against the front edge of the seat. Lean into the seat, pressing your weight into it and shove it in. Your weight and pushing is actually slightly bending the seat frame, but it will spring back. You'll feel it sink into place enough, push down further locking it against the floor hooks, then let it ease back locking itself in place. It is an effective form of erotic automotive ballet. It's all in the shove. Be firm, but careful. I know you Adrian, you can do it. I also suggest two fingers of Blanton's just prior to help get you in the mood. PRL

• Like 1

Push with your legs.  Wedge yourself against the back of the front seat, put the side of a leg against the front of the back seat, and bend it rearward.  Push down on the front edge of the seat to get the rail to settle into the bracket.

To remove, push back the same way, then pull up on the seat.

Thanks to you all! I finally got the seats in place today. Turns out I was lifting the front edge of the seat too high and causing the frame to dig into the floor.  Once I got it in place, I took it out again just to make sure It wasn't a fluke.  It seems I have to learn the hard way most of the time with this car, but I still love every second of it. (My wife isn't sure of that sometimes given the language that occasionaly comes from the garage.) 

"Erotic automotive ballet. It's all in the shove." Thanks Pete, sounds like the title for my next album!

Blanton's. I second that emotion.

Thanks again guys!

Wrestling with carpet next!

-Adrian-