'60 LeSabre "Elvira" Barnfind

RivRider

Can't quite compare to "Mr. Earls" adventure,but here's my last barnfind that I dragged home almost 9 years ago,and hoping to get to this summer.Was parked in the barn about 15 minutes north of New York City in New Jersey by the original owner in '78.I bumped into the owners Grand-daughter at a show in Scranton,PA one day when she was admiring my '72 Riviera and she told me that they where clearing out the place after her Grandparents had passed.They had owned a small restaurant-gas station on Rte.46 in Ledgewood,NJ and wanted to know if I would be interested in following her down to see it,she new the engine was stuck and I almost said no after hearing that,but when she told me it had 49,000 miles and they where also selling gas station items too,I decided it would be worth the trip.We had to cut down a tree 8" in diameter to get the barn door open it had been in there so long,and I could see through all the dust that it was going to be worth it,especially when she agreed to let me have it for $700 ! I also loaded up my small trailer with gas station signs and memorabilia from the '40s to '60s and Grandpa's 1961 International-Harvester Cub Cadet lawnmower,first year of production,and hauled everything home.The next day I put a battery in the tractor,it started right up and I mowed the lawn with it. The car came with all the original paper work and here are some before and afters,the only 3 days she's been out in the sun since '78 as I put her in the garage,filled with Marvel Mystery Oil and hoping for the best soon. Notice the interesting way they reversed the white strip in the seat front to back,and how many people out there know that the speedometer that you are looking at is actually a mirror with an adjustment wheel on the left of the speedo to angle the mirror for your height for better viewing ! The actual speedo is embedded in the top of the dash upside down and printed backward. This old girl is so cool that who cares if she has "too many doors",I'm leaving her as is including the paint that the old gentleman dabbed every chip with a brush and there are alot,considering he drove her for 18 years.The inside is perfect but for the scuff in the carpet on drivers side. 

P1010742(3).JPG

P1010743(3).JPG

P1010744(3).JPG

P1010745(3).JPG

P1010746(1)(1).JPG

P1010747(3).JPG

P1010748(1)(1).JPG

P1010749(3).JPG

P1010750(1)(1).JPG

P1010751(3).JPG

P1010752(3).JPG

P1010754(3).JPG

P1010755(1)(1).JPG

P1010756(2).JPG

P1010757(1)(1).JPG

P1010758(1)(1).JPG

P1010759(1).JPG

P1010760(1).JPG

P1010761(1).JPG

P1010762(1).JPG

P1010763(1).JPG

P1010764(1).JPG

P1010765(1).JPG

P1010766(1).JPG

P1010767(1).JPG

P1010768(1).JPG

P1000060.JPG

P1000063(2).JPG

• Like 11

No reason to be jealous here. That was an awesome find.  And all the paper work to go with it, WOW. Belated congratulations!!!

Still got any of the gas station signage. Sure hope it's not Sinclair as I may be trying to beat you  out of some of it.

Sorry Mr.Earl,it was all Mobil including the Pegasus that was over six foot and took up most of the trailer,sold that six years ago for $1800,was perfect and the rest of the collection made me over $2000 over the last few years.Also sorry to tell that I gave her $200 for the whole load,the only thing left is a counter top Zenith radio and  large tire patch display kit.The tractor is still here and for sale,but need a clutch.

P1000503.JPG

Wow -- she sure cleaned up nice!  The final photo of the steering wheel and dash had me shaking my head in disbelief.  Bandit, indeed!  Who cares if the motor doesn't free up.  You're still way ahead!   (Not to jinx anything -- obviously, I'm hoping for the best.) 

She's not running yet,got my fingers crossed for coming unstuck after 8+ years of soaking in Marvel Mystery Oil.Hoping to try breaking free soon,too many irons in the fire.My '53 Hornet is next in line,been under cover since '03,got her two years ago and needs brake lines replaced,and just got new carb for my '72 Riv,hasn't been out in four years.Anybody need a job,doesn't seem to be enough of me to go around.

17 minutes ago, RivRider said:

She's not running yet,got my fingers crossed for coming unstuck after 8+ years of soaking in Marvel Mystery Oil.Hoping to try breaking free soon,too many irons in the fire.My '53 Hornet is next in line,been under cover since '03,got her two years ago and needs brake lines replaced,and just got new carb for my '72 Riv,hasn't been out in four years.Anybody need a job,doesn't seem to be enough of me to go around.

That would be great if she would turn for you.  I'm following the thread!  

Like I said previously just to many irons in the fire,bought as an investment,no money in the bank,it's all sitting on tires.We have two business's that take up most of my time,one dealing with the gas industry that is booming in the area,and a restaurant  we bought last year.Just got five more wells hooked up and five more in line for this summer so will be getting royalties from twelve wells soon,then I can relax and work on all my investments and the next generation can run the business's

• Like 1