Rebuilt Riviera Engine

Robert G. Smits

Looking at a 68 Riv that had oil pump failure at 44k and the engine seized.  Placed in storage until 2015 when the engine was rebuilt.  Has 1000. Miles on the rebuild.  My instincts tell me that I should stay away as there may well have been damage that wasn't addressed at the rebuild and I have no way to gage the competences of the rebuilder.    Would you be afraid of this senerio?   Thanks, Bob Smits

Personally I would have preferred to buy it before the "rebuild". If it's priced such that you can pay to rebuild the rebuilt engine and still come out above water go ahead. If not I'll quote Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry. "Do you feel lucky today, (punk)?"................Bob

No receipts, the presents owner purchased it from the rebuilder who purchased it with a blown motor.  The present owner purchased it to resell and wants market value.  I was attracted by the low milage but am going to pass unless I can buy it at a discounted price. It does sound good and run strong. I have had my share of "Crap Shoots" and don't need another one. Thanks to all. Bob Smits

This post sounds very familiar except , I am the seller.

Had a GI with wife travelling cross country in a 1984 Buick Riviera when engine overheated and started knocking. He was forced to "dump' the Buick and get a rental car.

The rental company called me in and I bought the Buick. I paid him his asking price (I don't dicker with a man who has agreed to die for me. his luck was bad enough already!)

I had the engine removed and sent to Jasper Engines for a re-man procedure which included a 100,000 mile,3 year nationwide  warranty which covers parts and labor. 

It now has a new radiator ,AC compressor ,and better than new engine. Buick only warranted the engine for 24000 miles when new!

It's now looking for a new owner and a 1st junior in class 27P

The OP listed a 1968 Riviera in his post, which is a very different animal from an 84 Riviera. Is this definitely the same car-for-sale deal? 

I remember a used Riviera that I once owned...I can't recall the year for certain, but I THINK it was a 1979 model. It came from the factory with an Oldsmobile V8 engine in it, if I remember correctly. That engine was prone to prematurely wearing out rocker arms, since oil was not getting to the rocker stands correctly in the middle of each cylinder head. I got tired of working on it and traded it in. 

Lump; There is no resemblance between the Riviera of 1968 and my 1984 model.  The !968 was all Buick whereas the 1984 was an Oldsmobile Tornado with Buick badges.

There was a time there when Olds used plastic coated camshaft sprockets. The plastic broke off and  in some cases the engine would keep running as the plastic particles clogged the oil pump pickup and cause bearing failure. I once bought a wrecked 1979 Buick Electra which used the Olds 403 engine. I replaced the diesel engine in my 1980 Chevy truck with the Buick engine and          

TH-400 automatic transmission ( after replacing the cam sprocket with a metal one.)

3 hours ago, lump said:

The OP listed a 1968 Riviera in his post, which is a very different animal from an 84 Riviera. Is this definitely the same car-for-sale deal? 

I remember a used Riviera that I once owned...I can't recall the year for certain, but I THINK it was a 1979 model. It came from the factory with an Oldsmobile V8 engine in it, if I remember correctly. That engine was prone to prematurely wearing out rocker arms, since oil was not getting to the rocker stands correctly in the middle of each cylinder head. I got tired of working on it and traded it in. 

I'll be in Xenia on Apr. 10-13 if you would like to hear " THE REST OF THE STORY"

• Like 1

I was definitely looking at a 68 and their was no history on the rebuild.  Too many unknowns for me.  Even if I had been offered a large discount I would have passed.  It is not the last train out of the station!!!

Bob Smits

Edited by Robert G. Smits (see edit history)