Technology and Old Cars... 3D Printing Parts

BearsFan315

Me being a younger gen Antique Guy and Working in the Realm of R&D and Design I am apt on the wave of Technology and 3d Printing. Owning a small desktop one myself. I read this article and thought it was really cool to see someone scan a part and have it reproduced. this is what i really want to get into and trying to get my work into.

Thought i would share this with you all as you might appreciate it
103 year old Delage Type-S Grand Prix car brought back to life with 3D scanning and printing

Edited by BearsFan315 (see edit history)

The 3D printers are certainly a new and effective tool for the auto business.  My son is employed in the auto industry and it is quite common for them to make 3D printed parts as design verification proof.  Opens up a whole new set of possibilities for auto restoration 

Terry

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

Got to see some demonstrations on this at the AGN in Williamsport PA last year.  Amazing stuff.  There was also recently an article in the HCCA magazine about how a 3d printer was used to make a pattern for a rocker arm assembly that needed to be made for an early brass era car.   The medical industry is using it extensively producing artificial limbs, etc.   The future is now and this stuff is pretty exciting.  I understand 4d is on the horizon.  

Terry

That is a great story, amazing what they can do these days. Jay Leno on his program has been talking about this for years. Recently they had a man on demonstrating the latest developments, direct metal laser printing, amazing. The top of the line equipment is out of reach for the average enthusiast but they offer their services. They can make practically any part.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)