Rusty Portholes

Pilgrim65

Morning Guys

Just arrived back in Cyprus , was excited about taking  Ruby out for first run of year, took cover off and whilst cleaning and polishing noticed rust in belly of portholes, bit disappointing as always dry them after washing. Whats  best to use chrome cleaner or washing up pad , suppose once pitted that's it . may remove next winter and have rechromed in uk,

cheers

pilgrim

These are not easy pieces to re-chrome because of the shape of the inside.  Where there is pitting it can be difficult to get tools into these areas to create a smooth surface prior to plating.   There may be other problems with getting the plating electrolytes to reach all areas.   It is cheaper to buy reproductions.   I got mine for my 53 Special from Bob's and they have held up well for about 10 years.   I do not wash this car frequently and always dry the ventiports carefully.

Joe, BCA 33493

• Like 1

Try Simichrome first: http://www.simichrome-polish.com/

It is widely available. Just do a search. Around here I get it in a local guitar shop. When they are out I get it online. I like the tube best and I apply it with my finger in tight places.

It does a real nice job and avoid replating for only but the best show cars.

Bernie

• Like 2

Joe in New York is correct with his explanation of trying to re-chrome port holes / ventiports.  I had all eight of my 1954 portholes chrome stripped then spent many, many hours removing pits and polishing the insides ready for chrome plating. After plating they turned out a bit disappointing.  They had what the shop described as "blow' effect whereby the chromeic acid would not adhere to all the surface and it has a blend of chrome / nickel, because of the internal shape and trying to get an all round  electrical contact. You have to look hard but it's there.  I don't know how the factory suppliers did it ??

The issue with pot metal is that impurities in it seriously affects the chrome. When rechroming it, you need to chemical strip it. Mechanical stripping & rework can embed more impurities into the pot metal, which pisses of the chrome. Virgin pot metal is pretty easy to work with, it's the used stuff that's a nightmare. 

That's why repros are more economical than refinishing originals. 

just an update, have purchased good quality chrome polish and with a toothbrush set to improving rust spots . pretty good results , although showing pitting, 3 of the 6 are presentable , the other 3 are passable , but plan to replace with repos later in year.

thanks again for help

cheers

pilgrim

• Like 2

Just to finalise this thread , thought you might like to see photos , unfortunately didn't think to take before , only after cleaning, but they were brown.

Unfortunately had a small mishap , didn't realise black horizontal lines where paint, should have masked as toothbrush rubbed some sections off , currently replacing with thin black insulation tape , seems effective to the eye.  Warning to others

thanks to all posters

cheers

pilgrim

20170403_155038.jpg

20170403_155043.jpg

20170403_155156.jpg

20170403_155202.jpg

• Like 2