Why do you think NASCAR has declined?

George Washington had a little problem with those people "just outside of Pittsburgh" shortly after he took office. And I think some of that problem "spilled" over into the roots of NASCAR. Maybe there is a closer kinship than the obvious.

Keeping on topic with the founding and fall of NASCAR.

Bernie

Whoo-wee, Mr. B., I sure won't let my wife read THAT little tidbit.

She says I'm hard of hearing and don't listen to her anyway.  At least I think that's what she said, she's three rooms away and I have the water running in the bathroom........

Nascar is so boring to me....think a lot of spectators just show up or tune in for the crashes.....

• Like 1

Guest Skyking
2 hours ago, trimacar said:

She says I'm hard of hearing and don't listen to her anyway.  At least I think that's what she said, she's three rooms away and I have the water running in the bathroom........

You seem to have what I have.........it's called selective hearing!

30 minutes ago, JACK M said:

On topic, I still watch NASCAR and sometimes I fall asleep watching.

Make that most of the time for me, while the wife is still not sure that you know what? She's starting to think,  "You're right NASCAR is starting to suck."

Racing has always been the fastest car wins. With NASCAR it used to be you raced a production car body they even had templates to check the body lines. A few years ago NASCAR had a race where they all raced identical Chevys the idea was if all the cars were identical this would show who had the best driving skills. It was boring all the drivers did was drive around in a line and thats what NASCAR is today. All the same bodies just different stickers on them to resemble different manufactures, there are so many rules that the engines are basically the same, so all they do is drive around in a line. A lot of automotive ideas came out of racing but why invent new ideas when you can't use them, everyone is the same, everyone is a winner, boring. Thats why I quit watching anyway.

If you're tired of endless left turns, cookie cutter cars and sunshine-only racing try something like the Rolex 24 at Daytona, or any of the other IMSA races.  There're also the FIA races.  They race in the rain ... in the dark!:o  Everything from sedans to factory GT cars on the same track ... at the same time!:o  Admittedly, one has to search for TV coverage of most of these events, but it's out there.

As previously pointed out in this thread, NASCAR would be much more interesting if they raced in the rain.

Cheers,

Grog

One last observation from watching a bit of NASCAR 2017:  Too much and over-the-top commercialization !!  Commercial break-a-ways are increasing in frequency and plenty annoying, but does everything need to be unapologetically shilled during the actual race broadcast itself (?), i.e., the 'White Flag Lap - brought to you by the Acme Fireworks Company - Wiley Coyote's preferred brand - who make your 4th of July thrilling and spectacular & dangerous too'.  Then there is the pit stops where 'Goodyear tires are changed, the car is filled up with Sunoco race fuel, fender damage is repaired with 3M Rapid-Stick Tape, the driver is given a cold Mountain Dew while the Interstate battery is changed'.  Followed closely by 'the race off pit lane is brought to you by ' ...... '   And on and on and on !!   

If Major League baseball shilled their sport to this level, a hot grounder to the 2nd baseman might be something like this:  'The crack of the Louisville Slugger Prime Maple Natural Baseball bat sends the Rawlings Major League Baseball to Baez, who scoops up the worm burner with his Wilson A-2000 12" Pro Glove, flings it to Rizzo who grabs it with his Marucci HTG Series 12.5 inch First Basemans Mitt then makes the out by tagging the Champro Molded Base with his Adidas Adizero Afterburner 3 Baseball Cleat.  On the way to the dugout, Rizzo spits a wad of Redman Select Chewing Tobacco to the turf which is prepped by Toro Professional Lawn Equipment and feed by Scotts Pro Sports Turf Brand Granular Fertilizers'.

I’m surprised some NASCAR merlin hasn’t sold the rights to the air in the tires, er, Goodyear tires - yet !!  

Edited by Uncle_Buck (see edit history)
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Uncle_Buck said:

If Major League baseball shilled their sport to this level,     

I think MLB has written the book on shilling money, but they don't control the broadcast, but it is all over the stadium

My wife and I are season ticket holders for the NY Yankees for about 20 years now, and have noticed that in the past 4-5 years that almost everywhere we look we notice people are on their cell phones for the majority of the game, they arrive in the 2nd or 3rd inning look at their cell phones the entire time and leave in the 7th. The stadium was loud with 40K + fans cheering now it is quite 40K+ fans because they are not watching the game. I am talking about entire families looking at their phones and even talking to each other, sad comment about our society

I never cared for NASCAR myself, and most NASCAR fans I have met don't care for Baseball, I do understand why they are two different things it's apples to oranges. The NFL seems to be booming I feel because the action comes in short spurts with a break so the cellphone addicts can look up watch a play and then they can play on their cellphone, baseball and NASCAR are similar, the game is always on till the end and it is not controlled by a clock 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

15 hours ago, misterc9 said:

I'm surprised they don't promote a branded nitrogen service to fill the Goodyear tires.

Researching the liability. "If you or anyone related, or a person you may have seen, has ever been exposed to, seen, or said the word "nitrogen" the attorneys at Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe may include you in a national class action suit".

You know, this stuff just piles up and shows the rampant ignorance in America. This is no kidding, a guy I was having coffee with the other day looked at me dead serious and asked "What do they call the people who live in India?" Yep, a big NASCAR fan, doesn't care for baseball. And an avid fan of car reality shows.

Please, please, please, pay attention to stereotypes and stop trying so hard to live up to them. You know who you are.

Begorrah! Next time I see you on the street I'll throw a potato at you and hit you in the head!

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A bit off topic but in line with what John is saying. I was a huge baseball fan until the steroid era. I still consider Hank Aaron as the home run record holder, not Bonds. Then they nominate the "juicers" for the Hall of Fame! How can any team justify paying a .220 hitter $25 million dollars?, Lou, Duke, Mickey, Roy, Joe D. and dozens of others must be rolling in their graves. Money ruined ALL sports and now they want to pay college athletes a salary! They get a free scholarship education for taking useless courses and still want more.

NASCAR, my former boyfriend watched it and called it his 100 lap nap. Watched the beginning and the end and fell asleep in the middle. I saw last years race in Sanoma. It was my first time in person. It's more fun IMHO, but I am surprised with how much advertising plays a part in this sport. I just started watching last year. 

I don't watch much Nascar, the wife watches it (100 lap nap also).  The endings can be fun and a fight afterwards is a bonus.  At least the drivers are still Americans, and I don't think Toyota should have been allowed in.  

Can't say that for baseball.  Supposedly "America's game" played by a bunch of overpaid foreigners.  I was drug to a cubs game a couple years ago and thank god for the rain delay so I could get out of there.  I've never been so bored in my life and I will never go to another game.   I cross my fingers every season the tigers suck so I don't have to endure watching a game in the motorhome with the guys at Hershey.  

• Like 1