63 back seat trim stupid oversight

riviadrian

Does anyone have a picture of the back seat side metal trim installed without the seats in??  I apparently didn't take enough pics when I removed it all, and can't find anything specific about it in the body manual.  I just had new leather seat covers installed and also replaced the back door panels. Don't want to mess up my new covers by installing incorrectly or taking in and out of the car 30 times.  Thanks!

-Adrian-

Adrian,

Are talking about the 2 metal filler panels, one on each side of the upper back seat? If so this might help. I don't have a picture with my seat out but, it does show where/how they go. The sail panel lower trim should be removed. You need to put in the rear quarter panel armrest and rear quarter panel upper panel. The metal filler has 2 holes for screws that attach it to the side of the upper rear quarter panel, so they only go in one way. The curve of the panel fits the curve of the seat, the skinnier end on top. Then the upper back seat fits in between the 2 filler panels. I hope this helps. If that was not what you were talking about, never mind. 

Bill

IMG_2589.thumb.JPG.5df23034d43f1da9f0f5fcfc39398eed.JPGIMG_2590.thumb.JPG.c190b3af917e398c9c9af9b7127aca39.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Bill!  That's exactly what I needed.  I was pretty sure I was correct, but I didn't want to start putting screw holes in the new panel that didn't belong. I also didn't want to put them in wrong and tear my new leather.  Thanks again!

-Adrian-

2 hours ago, riviadrian said:

Thanks Bill!  That's exactly what I needed.  I was pretty sure I was correct, but I didn't want to start putting screw holes in the new panel that didn't belong. I also didn't want to put them in wrong and tear my new leather.  Thanks again!

-Adrian-

I am glad I could be of help.

18 minutes ago, riviadrian said:

I got the bottom screws into the tabs, now the top of it will not stay tight against the panel. There seems to be nothing to attach the screws to except the vinyl on the new panel.  Anyone else experience this and have a solution???

Adrian,

If I remember correctly, once you get holes through the upper rear quarter panel there should be metal underneath where it mounts with holes for the screws to screw into, which will draw the filler tight to the rear quarter panel. You may need to use an ice pick to go through the panel and locate them. 

Bill

I pulled them both back off and the only metal tab is at the bottom.  There is a metal tab at the top of the quarter panel also. Not sure what it is for either.

It has been a year since I removed all of this, so I am kicking myself for not taking more/better pics.  This is how we learn i suppose.

I can make brackets, but it had to be put together right when I took it all apart.

Ok, I figured it out.  Apparently I was using a screw too short to reach the inner metal structure. There is no tab like at the bottom, and the only screw hole I could find went through a round plastic piece that covers a hole in the inner structure.  Seems odd, but it holds everything tight so it's going together like that I guess.  This stupid thing has been kicking my butt for way to long today.  Now I can make a little progress getting this interior installed.

Thanks again Bill for your help and patience.

-Adrian-