1990 Reatta HVAC

Guest loupet

Guest loupet

Hello everyone Lou here. First I want to thank everyone for your outstanding knowledge on helping me with my 90 Reatta. All of you are an amazing group who go out of their way to help people like me in times of need on fixing these cars. I`ve solved a lot of problems recently on all of your input. The most recent issue is my ac system. As all of you know who has helped me on this issue know that I replaced the compressor, dryer and tube along with freon. The problem I have had is the compressor was clicking on and off and was blowing from the defrost vent. I recently have changed all the vacuum lines in the engine bay. After doing that It started blowing from the bilevel vent slightly but, still blowing harder from the defrost vents. Now, it`s not clicking on and off at all. Matter of fact it doesn`t sound like the compressor is on. Air is not cold. I checked the blend door linkage behind the glove box and, when fooling with the ac controls from max cold to heat the linkage does not move from left to right. However, it still blowing from the bilevel slightly. I have not cleaned the blower motor fins yet as suggested by Dave. So, with the actuator linkage not moving from left to right and not cleaning the blower fins, can these two items be my problem with this issue?  Thanks everyone.  Lou

1 hour ago, loupet said:

Now, it`s not clicking on and off at all. Matter of fact it doesn`t sound like the compressor is on. Air is not cold.

That's not a blend door problem or a vacuum problem. Since it started out as a problem with the compressor clicking on, and off and now it the compressor won't run, it sounds like a problem with a low Freon charge. When the AC system gets low on freon the BCM will lock out the compressor preventing it from running.

Guest loupet

Thanks Ronnie,  I'll have to check the freon level. Getting to the blend door not moving from left to right, could this still be a vacuum problem or a control module problem?

2 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Ronnie-

Could there be a problem with the Programmer module? Vacuum or electrical? Refrigerant or not- the blend and temp rod should be moving.

He already stated entire system is new and charged.

2 hours ago, loupet said:

Thanks Ronnie,  I'll have to check the freon level. Getting to the blend door not moving from left to right, could this still be a vacuum problem or a control module problem?

As I said before I think the compressor not running and the air delivery problem are two different issues. I would decide which one needs to get fixed first and stick with it until the problem is solved. Then move on to the other problem.

It would be best to start a new thread for each problem and stick with it instead of asking questions about both in the same thread. It will avoid a lot of confusion and you will be able to keep one line of thought going.

You need to get the compressor running again and put a gauge on the low side and see if it is pulling down too low when the compressor is running. Compressor Kicks Out When Adding Freon - Solution

As for the blend door - it only diverts the hot air or cold air into the plenum. It is moved electrically. Check fuses and connections first for this problem.

There is another door that changes the location where the the air comes out, (defrost vent, dash vent, etc). That door is located higher up and is hard to get to. It is operated by vacuum. The lever that opens the door has been known to break causing air flow problems. That is what you need to be concentration on instead of the blend door if you want air to come out the dash vents. I would make certain you are getting vacuum to the programmer before proceeding to anything else. Hope this helps.

58d8226b19343_AirDiverterLever-2.JPG.2f30cd9d6f7d6de5f345e8a4185eeba8.JPG

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest loupet

Ok, Ronnie that sounds logical about tackling one problem at a time. Yeah, I can see it getting a little confusing especially when I get multiple suggestions on each issue.  Thanks.  Lou

Guest loupet

Ronnie the picture you sent about the other vent door that`s harder to get to, where is it located? Above the glove box?  Thanks

I haven't actually seen it myself. That photo was taken by another forum member, Machiner 55 (I think) that had to replace the arm. I believe the door is in the center of the dash. One of the people here that have parted out Reattas can tell you exactly where it is located.

It is located in the center of the dash behind the center vent on an '88/89. Machiner55 replaced it without removing the dash by removing the vent panel and going through the dash. If you remember he reinforced it before installinga replacement. Another guy years ago replaced it by going up through the bottom of the dash.

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, mkinney33 said:

Hello all!

I've experienced a broken lever on my 1990 Reatta- wondering if there is a source to purchase a replacement.

The only source is going to be the used market, Jim Finn is a parts vendor as well as Marck Barker at ECRP or the junkyard.