MrEarl's Barnfind Adventure

MrEarl

And then it was time to clean up what turned out to be the crown jewel of them all. The '63 Electra was bought by Ed Gilmer (the father of Tom, whom I bought it from)  from the estate of a little old lady and friend of the family. The exterior of the car had only a couple of dime size parking lot dents, an unpainted repair on the trunk lid and some places faded in the paint but virtually zero rust.

IMG_4552.JPGIMG_4553.JPGIMG_4378.JPGIMG_4383.JPGIMG_4384.JPGIMG_4385.JPGIMG_4393.JPGIMG_4398.JPG

This lady must have been VERY small as there was no wear whatsoever on the drivers seat or carpet. 

IMG_4466.JPGIMG_4455.JPGIMG_4448.JPGIMG_4452.JPGIMG_4457.JPGIMG_4469.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

The car was like a true time capsule. Her gloves still resting in the middle of the front seat and Buick warranty papers, maps, Kleenex packs and candy wrappers in the glove compartment. 

IMG_4494.JPG

IMG_4493.JPGIMG_4496.JPGIMG_4499.JPGIMG_4500.JPGIMG_4502.JPGIMG_4501.JPGIMG_4508.JPG

All of the cars had been originally purchased from the local Buick dealer, Tabor Buick Company,  and most still had the original leather  key fob and/or the emblem over the Buick trunk ornaments. This one was apparently faithfully serviced by them. 

IMG_4504.JPGIMG_4389.JPGIMG_4390.JPGIMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

• Like 8

They truly were Gary. None of the cars Ed purchased had any rust through and were typically low mileage one owner cars. He reminded me of myself though in a way, in that he would buy one, start fixing it up, painting etc, then buy another before he finished it and start to work on it. There's a name for such an ailment but I don't have time to talk about it now, I need to get to another thread.

• Like 5

Then it was time to load her up and take her to a two day swap meet, car show, vintage drags and cruise in event about 30 miles up the road in Commerce. She literally sold before I could get her off the trailer. Didn't even need the nice sign Rita had made for me .The buyer sent for a hauler so I unloaded her and headed home to load up the '62 Electra 225 to bring up the next morningIMG_4516.JPGIMG_4521.JPGIMG_4519.JPGIMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4522.JPG

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I saw the under dash unit but no compressor for the A/C under the hood.  Am I missing something ?

Bill you can barely see it in the second engine picture. It is on the drivers side just to the right and below the power steering pump. In fact it was like new and probably was as the old one was still in the trunk. I would love to find a nice unit like it for one or two of my 54's. 

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

Great story and great photos, Lamar!  My favorite is the shot of the wild cat sitting on the Wildcat 410.

wildcat.JPG

That would be Kowpi Neil. She stays underfoot everywhere I go. Pull out a camera and she starts posing. Thanks for the nice comment, they are rare in these days of "likes" LOL 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Bill ill you can barely see it in the second engine picture. It is on the drivers side just to the right and below the power steering pump. In fact it was like new and probably was as the old one was still in the trunk. I would love to find a nice unit like it for one or two of my 54's. 

That would be Kowpi Neil. She stays underfoot everywhere I go. Pull out a camera and she starts posing. Thanks for the nice comment, they are rare in these days of "likes" LOL 

Added a "like" for good measure  lol

12 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Nice car and perfect steering wheel (no visible cracks).  I grinned when I saw the picture of the 'Wildcat' on the air cleaner!  :D

True EmTee, she obviously kept the car garaged. 

9 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Added a "like" for good measure  lol

"like" :D

So loaded up the '62 Electra 225, headed to the Atlanta Dragway. This one had had an engine fire but came with a spare 401. Again sold before unloading and delivered later in the day. 

IMG_4523.JPG

IMG_4525.JPG

IMG_4526.JPG

IMG_4527.JPG

IMG_4528.JPG

IMG_4529.JPG

IMG_4530.JPG

IMG_4531.JPG

IMG_4532.JPG

IMG_4533.JPG

IMG_4535.JPG

IMG_4536.JPG

IMG_4537.JPG

IMG_4538.JPG

IMG_4539.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

Me trying out a funnel for the upcoming moonshine chugging event to be held in downtown Commerce at the cruise in that night. 

IMG_4542.JPG

And a couple of my favorite dragsters of the day. Hey this is Georgia boys, north Georgia. 

IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4545.JPG

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

You need to replenish your stock now lol!  After the moonshine chug of course. :lol:

No never made it to the moonshine chugging as when I got home Rita had been working in the Gardens  all day and said she was too tired to go out. :huh: I didn't press it.  :wacko:

And there will be no replenishing of stock, don't want press my luck. I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to buy all these cars at such a good price , basically below wholesale , that I could turn around and sell them at a good price, basically wholesale. And it all happened so fast, my head is still swimming. The Buick gods have been good to me. I basically got a '38 Special Streamlined Sport out of the deal and turned a couple of folks onto Buicks. Could not be happier. 

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

So when the buyer of the 225 came to pick up the spare 401, he saw the '53 and fell in love with it and took it home with him too. 

IMG_4642.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

Wow you made an addict out of this guy! 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

No never made it to the moonshine chugging as when I got home Rita had been working in the Gardens  all day and said she was too tired to go out. :huh: I didn't press it.  :wacko:

Psh! Western NC shine is still the best... lol??

• Like 2

All I can thin now is Charlie Daniels....

"I'll take your bet,  you're gonna regret, cuz it's the best there's ever been"  but apparently the devil has been in Georgia for a number of years now.......?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrEarl said:
6 hours ago, MrEarl said:

True EmTee, she obviously kept the car garaged. 

Does that mean she is good with varmints and especially raccoons? 

If so, would you lend her out to deal with some Canadian ones?:D

• Like 1

Guest LeCat

That electra would have made a nice view besides my Lesabre. Too bad you live so far away, else i would have been at your place day one.....

What a great bunch of pictures of some extra special cars,that sure was a once in a lifetime find.It's too bad the " barn find hunter" didn't pay you a visit before they left,I see he was in Savannah in his first episodes and I'm sure your find would have aired on the show (on computer only).If you all haven't seen it yet it is worth a look,sponcored by Hagerty Ins.,just goggle Barn Find Hunter. It's been so rainy here I watched all 13 episodes and can't wait for the next.By the way,was that a headlight dimmer on the dash of the '63? Next you got to let us know of progress on the '38 when it happens. Nice under the hood helper you got there,I've got one too.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the whole transaction! What an adventure. Thanks for sharing the story.

:D

• Like 1

and the Buick Sales and Service Square Deal used car lot is emptied. The little black Special is on its way to Durham NC. I've got a feeling her trailer riding days are over. 

Thanks Mike !!! and don't forget to get that BCA registration sent in. ;-) 20170520_165853.jpg20170520_165821.jpg20170520_172411.jpgIMG_5141.JPGIMG_5143.JPG

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

What kind of hound do you have ?

The kind that rolls in dead possum then comes to you and is so proud to show off his two week old kill. AND the kind who's ears close when his nose is to the ground! He's a pound hound, not sure of his breed. Suspect part Redbone or a couple of Rhodesian Ridgeback owners have said ridgeless Ridgeback. Doesn't really matter to me, I love him, we're closer than any other dog I've ever owned. 

• Like 6

He has the face of a ridgeback and the coloring but did not see the ridge.  Is he hard headed and do things his way ?  That is part of the breed too.

Know about the love portion, you can't NOT love a good hound.  Right now we have a Greyhound, but have had Ridgebacks in an earlier life.

On 5/21/2017 at 4:05 PM, MrEarl said:

and the Buick Sales and Service Square Deal used car lot is emptied. The little black Special is on its way to Durham NC. I've got a feeling her trailer riding days are over. 

Thanks Mike !!! and don't forget to get that BCA registration sent in. ;-) 20170520_165853.jpg20170520_165821.jpg20170520_172411.jpgIMG_5141.JPGIMG_5143.JPG

Man...are we going to miss those rear view pictures!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I too just read that article!  Ha ha  awesome.  I'm a digital bugle subscriber,  but would like to get a print copy on this one to keep with the car.  Anyone know how I can get one? 

I believe you contact the BCA office for copies of the Bugle.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...