'39 Special - Looks Like I Need A New Gearbox

JRHaelig

Well - today was an ordeal with an unhappy ending.

I executed the pull-the-rear-end-to-drop-the-trans maneuver.  Trouble surfaced when the torque tube would not pull from the trans.  I had to unbolt the trans from the engine and then everything came out.  That step also loosened the transmission output shaft and I ended up with the separate pieces I wanted all at once.  I must say it was a pretty good catch of a 45 pound surprise!

I was able to confirm that the rear synchro is all rusted up - in spite of my 2 months of soaking it in ATF/Acetone.  That was a fix-it or finish-killing-it move.

Couple of questions.....

1.  Anybody have a spare gearbox for sale?

2.  Carlisle is coming  up and I'll be shopping there.  I know '39 is a one year only, but is the '39 Pontiac or Olds compatible?

Many thanks....

Yep. Many one year only parts. A very few parts are common with other Buick years and very very very few parts with Ponti/Olds (some gears).

Ponti/Olds have different output design

The synchro's can be rebuilt by North West Transmission ?(need to address)

Every '39 owner should have a spare gearbox

A 1940-4? transmission can be adapted, but takes some engineering work. Far better supply of spare parts, as the same for several years

Good luck,

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Unless it's a total basket case, Northwest can also rebuild it for you. I have visited their facility and it's pretty nice for being out in the middle of the cornfields. They are about 30 or 40 miles NW of Cincinnati, you could probably make the drive in 1 longish day.

Address:
Northwest Transmission Parts
13500 US Highway 62
Winchester, Ohio 45697
Telephone:
937-442-2811
800-327-1955
Fax:
937-442-6555

Cheers, Dave

Edited by Daves1940Buick56S
Add contact info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JRHaelig said:

I executed the pull-the-rear-end-to-drop-the-trans maneuver.  Trouble surfaced when the torque tube would not pull from the trans.  I had to unbolt the trans from the engine and then everything came out.  That step also loosened the transmission output shaft and I ended up with the separate pieces I wanted all at once.  I must say it was a pretty good catch of a 45 pound surprise!

I was able to confirm that the rear synchro is all rusted up - in spite of my 2 months of soaking it in ATF/Acetone.  That was a fix-it or finish-killing-it move.

Couple of questions.....

2.  Carlisle is coming  up and I'll be shopping there.  I know '39 is a one year only, but is the '39 Pontiac or Olds compatible?

Many thanks....

Yes I do

Pm if intetested. May also have parts and could coach rebuild of yours. Greg

8 minutes ago, 2carb40 said:

Yes I do

Pm if intetested. May also have parts and could coach rebuild of yours. Greg

JR - and there you go! I have dealt with Greg on several big parts purchases, my 1940 would not be running without him.

And this is what makes the forum so great - imagine trying to get info like this back only as far as the 1980s - lots of postcards, I guess.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay answering this but we have been on a "sunshine safari" in the great American Southwest. I have recently done a total rebuild on my 1939 Special transmission and coached a friend who rebuilt his. Some parts are 1939 only but a lot of parts interchange with other GM transmissions. I bought many parts off EBAY over time and used Northwest to fill out the list. They were helpful, timely with shipping and took care my problems promptly and courteously. I dealt with John, apparently semi-retired and works only half days, who answered all my questions including many I didn't ask.

We upgraded the cluster gears with later model ones that have needle bearings instead of bushings. Synchros from later model transmissions also are an acceptable substitute for rare 1939 only parts. Shift forks, 1939 only, are a weak point and should be replaced as a matter of course.

These are not complicated transmissions and the home restorer with a modicum of mechanical skills should be able to rebuild one. MOTORS auto repair manuals have a section on the transmission and the 1939 supplemental shop manual does too. And, as someone else offered, I would gladly help with any snags that might arise.

I have a few used parts since I overbuilt my transmission with almost all new parts. Be extra wary buying used or rebuilt transmissions, be sure to pull the cover, rotate the trans to inspect it closely, and shift it through the gears by hand. When I bought my project car the seller told me the transmission was "rebuilt". Not only was it not rebuilt it wasn't even a 1939.

Bob H

Trans Apart Old (Small).JPG

Trans & New Parts (Small).JPG

Trans Part Assembled (Small).JPG

Trans New (Small).JPG

Trans Rebuilt (Small).JPG

• Like 3

We restored a 40 coupe that was a clean car that had never been left out in the weather but was in a garage that also had a clothes dryer in it and not vented to the outside. The body had little rust but the transmission and differential were solid rust. To make them turn we put them in a molasses solution and after a couple weeks everything was freed up. This may work on your seized synchronizer.

1940 Pontiac Cpe 003.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Can anybody tell me what part or casting numbers are typically found on the side of a 1939 Buick Special Transmission? I have a transmission that I bought in a package deal with a 1938 Special that is not a floor shift transmission. I am hoping that it might be a 1939 Buick transmission but I have not been able to positively identify it with my limited research so far. 

The quick ID trick for 1939 Special transmission would be the shift lever, it only has one. The selector operates via a cable to the end of the lever's shaft which travels in and out engage the shift forks. Most other column shift transmissions have two levers. I can take photos tomorrow if needed. Bob H

Can anybody tell me what part or casting numbers are typically found on the side of a 1939 Buick Special Transmission? I have a transmission that I bought in a package deal with a 1938 Special that is not a floor shift transmission. I am hoping that it might be a 1939 Buick transmission but I have not been able to positively identify it with my limited research so far. 

Have several 1939 series 40 transmission casing in various states of disrepair. Some with cracks

The "-1" after casting number 1308227 may be a mould number or date or what ever.  Is different on the castings I have

Do not have my parts book where I am now to check the part number

Edit The images are for a right hand drive

152-5290_IMG.JPG

152-5291_IMG.JPG

The Hollander has some problems. In the transmission section, it says the case for '39 series 40 is 13110010. In the trans. parts section, it says the case is 1310010. I haven't found the number on the box above yet.

The same gearbox interchange is shown for Buick '39 series 40, Olds '39 60,70,80 and Pontiac '39 6 & 8 & taxi. The Buick and Pontiac Taxi used the same main drive gear (MDG) and another was used by the other Pontiacs and Olds.

Other than the MDG and main shaft, the internals in the Buick are the same as Olds 60 & Pontiac '39 Quality 6. The taxi is all the same other than the MDG. '40-on  boxes used some of the parts in the '39 Buick 40 box.

I am off to bed now, I'll look in again in the morning.

On 3/25/2017 at 8:27 PM, JRHaelig said:

Couple of questions.....

Many thanks....

As I recall, the guts are interchangeable but not the box.  I may have a new one in the box...have something out there in the box.  Also have good tail section.  And actually maybe only the tail section is different from Pontiac and Olds.  Why would you expect to pull the torque ball from the back of the transmission when it is located at the x-member of the frame?  It is held in place by torque ball mounts.  I have a spare NOS input shaft I will sell, not in the box.

Sorry if I am hijacking this discussion but I still don't know what I have here. I found one previous ebay listing with one of the numbers on it identified as being for a 1939 Pontiac. It looks very similar to the photos that I have seen of the 1939 Buick transmission, but I have not yet found any reliable reference for any of the numbers on this transmisson.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

On 4/5/2017 at 10:43 PM, mcdarrunt said:

We restored a 40 coupe that was a clean car that had never been left out in the weather but was in a garage that also had a clothes dryer in it and not vented to the outside. The body had little rust but the transmission and differential were solid rust. To make them turn we put them in a molasses solution and after a couple weeks everything was freed up. This may work on your seized synchronizer.

1940 Pontiac Cpe 003.jpg

That looks like pretty much all junk.  To Bob H, I may be confusing 1940-52 40-50 trnsmission which do interchange with Pontiac & Olds, only with with a Buick tail section.  I put one in a 1949 Buick Super.  I still think most if not all of the interior pats of the box do interchange.  In any case I can supply a second gear, an input shaft and a reverse idler gear, all NOS.

7 hours ago, Bob H said:

MCHinson: Without chasing casting numbers, which can be unreliable, the pictured transmission is indeed for a 1939 Buick Special. Guaranteed! Don't believe it interchanges with anything else. BobH

Casting numbers are not the same as part numbers.  

My images are for a right hand drive, so different to left hand drive.  But most internals are the same

That cable identifies it as 1939:- a 1 year only design

Some people are replying to the original post of ~18 months ago. JRHaelig is now driving his car