head bolt torque

Guest junk17

Guest junk17

I'm in the process of doing the final assembly of my 1922 Maxwell Touring (it turns out it's a 1922 and not a 1921 as I originally thought) 4 cylinder engine and I'm about to install the  head. The head bolts are 7/16", fine thread, and there are 14 of them. Would anyone know what they should be torqued at? Thanks!

The guy I learned about Maxwell's from would say: "As tight as you can get them with a crescent wrench, but don't use a crescent wrench, it will ruin the nuts."

He ignored the aft part of that advice and made a lot of bolt heads and nuts a little more rounded than they should be.

Edited by gossp (see edit history)

The Model T Ford gets 50-55 ft lbs torque. I think they are 5/8". I assume your 7/16" bolts would be a bit less; perhaps 40-45? They didn't use torque specs in 1922; just sort of did it by "feel". Be sure to re-torque your bolts after running the car for a while.

Phil

Guest junk17

Yes Howard, I got your message and it's greatly appreciated. I don't think "torque wrenches" were used much in the 20's, 30's or even the 40's...all you had were muscly, greasy handed mechanics. With a lot of guts! And they got the cars moving too!