Motorcycles Fort Collins Colorado c1915

McMalcolm

Hello.....Below is a photo of a large number of motorcycles across a street in Fort Collins, CO. I'm going to use this image in a presentation entitled "The Automobile Comes to Fort Collins" and I'd like to know more about this image than I know. I know the image was taken before the beginning of 1917, because the major roads in Fort Collins were paved in late 1916, and I know the name of the street they were on. That's all I know.

Is there anything anyone can tell me about the motorcycles themselves? Any manufacturer information or model years would be very helpful. Also any speculation on why so many motorcycles would be in a small, sort of remote, CO town in 1916 would be welcome.

Thanks, Mac McNeill

motorcycles.jpg

The first four from the left are Indians as is the one on the far right and the one fourth from right. I am not up on the finer points of Indians so can't date them exactly.  The second and third in from the right I think are Excelsiors. That leaves the three in the middle which look like quite light weight machines with direct belt drive.  They could be more Excelsiors.   I think the date is several years earlier than 1917, more like 1911-ish. 

Here is a 1911 Excelsior  -  ej0315-211694_2.jpg

I have a copy of Floyd Clymer's Historical Motor Scrapbook No4  which I think was printed in 1948. He mentions there about competing in his first motorcycle race at the ago of 17 in 1912 in Boulder, Colorado.  It would seem that motorcycle racing was popular in that part of the country in the era.

Looked up something on Clymer. The wiki page says he was born in Indianapolis but his obit in The New York Times says he was born in Berthoud, Colorado.

And an article from the AACA library  -  http://www.aacalibrary.org/articles/antique-automobile/who-was-floyd-clymer/