Northway engine question 1919?

Dodge1934

I have a 1919 McLaughlin wich has a northway engine. Over the years I have had several engines that were all the same until I got this one. I suspect it is older but if somebody knows I would appreciate that information.

The engine still looks the same but in this case the Bell housing and transmission are all  one casting. On all my other engines the transmission is one casting and the bell housing is a seperate casting. Also the hole in the top of this casting is a rounded opening and all others had a flat opening

The number on the block is 24588-5

Does anybody know what year this engine is??

Thanks

thumbnail_IMG_20170325_091241_resized_20170325_091322373.jpg

3 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Do you have more pictures including the engine?  Also, the output shaft for the transmission does not "look right" for 1919 based on what I have seen for that era.

Here are more pics of what I think is the older engine. the only things I am seeing as different is

1: the gear shift attachment is atmped metal rather than cast as in my transmission

2: the Fact that the transmission and bell housing are one casting rather than 2

3 The crank shaft gear is solid metal where the one that came off my engine was partly a fibre compound. I suspect this change was made to reduce the noise people comment that they hear on the northway engines. the trouble with the fibre is they ear out quickly... mine was well worn and I will likely put a solid metal one in its place and hope the modern oils will keep the gear noise to a minimum.

Note: this is the first engine I have had with any indication of the original motor colour ... so I am pleased to get that. 

IMG_20170326_093813_resized_20170326_094041011.jpg

IMG_20170326_092907_resized_20170326_093243670.jpg

IMG_20170326_092918_resized_20170326_093540564.jpg

IMG_20170326_092936_resized_20170326_093359609.jpg

3 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Hummmmm. A 1919 McLaughlin without a Buick engine??? That's a new one on me. Dandy Dave!

Absolutely there was. The Model 62 and 63 cars from 1916/17 to 1921 were built with the small 6 Northway engine

The  4 cylinder engine became unavailable to Mclaughlin after 1916 and it was 1921 /22 before a 4 cylinder engine was reintroduced to the buick line up.

• Like 1

Northway motor of that period used  on Scripp Booth ,Oldsmobile ,Oakland Had four of these motors over the time. One was similar to the one you show. If you need a distributor can help you out  Have also the petrol gauge that fits into the tank

Len

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otahuhu said:

Northway motor of that period used  on Scripp Booth ,Oldsmobile ,Oakland Had four of these motors over the time. One was similar to the one you show. If you need a distributor can help you out  Have also the petrol gauge that fits into the tank

Len

Thanks for the note. With these three engines I have everything I need for my car except time and money :-) and I do look forward to warmer weather. Other people may appreciate your note.

Have you seen anything recent about a Northway engine registry?

• 2 years later...

hi

my name is case jansen and i am a new member. i own a 1919mclaughlin h-63 touring car. it is in great condition but hasnt run in 20 yrs. it has a northway 6 cyl serial # 24538-6

could someone please explain how the vacumn fuel delivery system works. also i need a guage for the tank. please help me out. i live in ontario. phone 905 259 1233

On 3/25/2017 at 11:36 AM, Dodge1934 said:

I have a 1919 McLaughlin wich has a northway engine. Over the years I have had several engines that were all the same until I got this one. I suspect it is older but if somebody knows I would appreciate that information.

The engine still looks the same but in this case the Bell housing and transmission are all  one casting. On all my other engines the transmission is one casting and the bell housing is a seperate casting. Also the hole in the top of this casting is a rounded opening and all others had a flat opening

The number on the block is 24588-5

Does anybody know what year this engine is??

Thanks

thumbnail_IMG_20170325_091241_resized_20170325_091322373.jpgi have a 1919 mclaughlin engine # 24538-6  Case Jansen 905 259 1233

6 hours ago, c jansen said:

hi

my name is case jansen and i am a new member. i own a 1919mclaughlin h-63 touring car. it is in great condition but hasnt run in 20 yrs. it has a northway 6 cyl serial # 24538-6

could someone please explain how the vacumn fuel delivery system works. also i need a guage for the tank. please help me out. i live in ontario. phone 905 259 1233

Great to hear from you. I look forward to hearing more about your car. Was it an Ontario car or did it come from the west. There was one out hear that I lost track of when the gent after he died and his family sold the car....  I have extra engine parts for the most part but no extra generators or starters. Mine is a long way from running at this point....There are a number of older threads on the vacuum fuel pumps. i am told they work well if well sealed. I expect there is a process to get them started very spring but I don`t know it yet.

As for the fuel guage... if you have one in any condition save it and work on fixing it. I am doing one from a similar unit I found a number of years ago it is a work in progress.

I assume your car has been restored. do you know when?

Look forward to chatting. I will try and call on the weekend.

On 3/28/2017 at 4:25 PM, Otahuhu said:

Len

Do you have a car that uses this engine?

• 2 years later...

I'm no expert on vacuum tanks but, I believe they have 2 chambers upper and lower. They are connected to the intake manifold as a source of vacuum. The vacuum draws fuel up into the top chamber from the gas tank, when it is full a valve shuts off the vacuum and dumps the fuel into the lower chamber. From there, the fuel runs into the carburetor by gravity. Meanwhile the top chamber fills itself again. Not much to go wrong, as long as the chambers are air tight and the valve mechanism is working.

There should be a plug on top where you can pour in gasoline to get the whole thing started. Once the engine is running it is automatic. There may also be a valve at the bottom to shut off the fuel when parked.

On 3/28/2017 at 8:53 AM, Dodge1934 said:

Absolutely there was. The Model 62 and 63 cars from 1916/17 to 1921 were built with the small 6 Northway engine

The  4 cylinder engine became unavailable to Mclaughlin after 1916 and it was 1921 /22 before a 4 cylinder engine was reintroduced to the buick line up.

This car was known as the "light 6" to us in Canada. 

• 1 year later...

Sorry I missed your reply on the cam gear for a Northway engine.  I located a cam gear.  Now I have a question on the bolt pattern on a starter on a 4 cylinder Northwst engine.

On 4/2/2024 at 3:47 PM, MAG473 said:

Sorry I missed your reply on the cam gear for a Northway engine.  I located a cam gear.  Now I have a question on the bolt pattern on a starter on a 4 cylinder Northwst engine.

I don`t know anything about the 4 cylinder Northway. Just the 6 cylinder

good luck

Dom