1939 Studebaker Champion Build

Starting a build thread to share and gather information for my build a 1939 Studebaker Champion somewhere I can ask questions and keep track of information. I have had this car since 1979 found on the streets of Victoria BC  Canada where it was running and motor vehicle inspected bought for $1400.00 since then I have built the motor twice it now runs the original block with later crank and shell bearing .040 pistons motor is all redone and runs smooth. I have been and again a member of the Antique Studebaker Club have had this car apart and stored for many years now body work has been competed pretty much and paint is being applied all work done by myself so it is a slow process. The car was originally green but after painting a fender and fender well I decide to paint it black because space is limited I am painting the rear half first then turning it around and painting the front. I also own another 1939 Studebaker Champion that I have been putting spare parts on to make it more complete yard art. Feel free to go through my bucket and comment on anything you see there.

1939%20studebaker%20champion_zpsreqjga5j

1939%20%20studebaker%20champion%20build_

• Like 2

I have owned '39 Champions since 1962. First photo below shows my back yard in that year with a 2-door and a 4-door. The latter (black one) just purchased from the original owner for $40. Have owned a bunch. Second image the one I own now. Have owned it off and on for the past 45+ years. Inserted the optional pick-up box about 4 years ago when I re-restored it. Have the largest private collection of literature and memorabilia on the planet. What do you need?. May also suggest getting a copy of the June 1996 issue of Collectible Automobile. I did a 4000+ word article in that issue with numerous photos both original and current.

39 champs 2 copy.jpg

composite 2 views.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Thought than I would post a few pictures started working on this again this week lets see how far I can get I got the back half of the car painted now planning on turning it around and painting the front.

XUkEwDFl.jpg

0qF49Hnl.jpg?1

tHdpdLKl.jpg

Z4tJ6Zkl.jpg

Anyone know what this decal says I will add more pictures and answers any questions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

nJyFbmfl.jpg

Did some work on the front brakes I couldn't push it around anymore the front wheel cylinders had seized so I replaced them.

Mgid4gEl.jpg

I made sure the new one were put together with lots of brake grease so this doesn;t happen again in 40 years.

xjd1ebTl.jpg

Replaced the old brake line hoses as well the banjo was a pain I had to add a thinker copper washer to get it to stop leaking the old hoses were still soft and about 2 inches long but I replaced them.

1aaF9LAl.jpg

I am pretty sure they painted the rims on the car and added the tires later the inside hub area is still primer.

2lsqrVGl.jpg

Picture of the front body mount for doc.

qw46mJTl.jpg

I also painted another fender for the third time it has been green twice and black once I settled on green.

Edited by GW-3 1273 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more painting done did the rear passenger door.

No2kIkll.jpg

I was lucky it was in great shape only one pit to fill and one crack on the hinge sheet metal to weld.

FHXUnVll.jpg

znC1uv4l.jpg

IRRGjiTl.jpg

Dave I didn't send anything to open just an invite to come see my Studebaker's I will send the email and get tat contact. It took me a couple days to figure out the Stude addiction thing but I figured it out and checked it out.

• Like 1