1956 Tag ident.

Leif Holmberg

Accessory option codes (Acc.)
S = Power Seat Adjuster - 6 way (stamped on trim line because the upholstery shop needed to know it)
B = Heater and defroster
I = Easy Eye Glass (letter I not number 1)

2 = final assembly factory

Your car is a convertible, so the body was built at Flint (G in the body number line) and shipped to South Gate, CA (plant code 2) for final assembly.  Your serial number should start with 7C2, if final assembly was at Flint it would start with 7C1.

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sean1997 said:

Accessory option codes (Acc.)
S = Power Seat Adjuster - 6 way (stamped on trim line because the upholstery shop needed to know it)
B = Heater and defroster
I = Easy Eye Glass (letter I not number 1)

2 = final assembly factory

Your car is a convertible, so the body was built at Flint (G in the body number line) and shipped to South Gate, CA (plant code 2) for final assembly.  Your serial number should start with 7C2, if final assembly was at Flint it would start with 7C1.

Thanks "sean1997",yes my Serial number are 7C2036711. But I still wonder what the word "Top" stands for on the tag? Is that another word for "Plant"?  

Leif in Sweden.

Yes, TOP is for the convertible top code, which they almost always stamped on the paint code or trim code lines.  It just happens that the final assembly plant got stamped next to it on this tag.  Sometimes for convertibles the final assembly plant got stamped in the upper corners too, just depends on who was working that day.

It looks a little bit strange about those tags,I have saved some Covertible tags from 1949-1956 and not many of them has a stamped number just to the left of "Top" ,But here are one for example with a figure 1954-46C Paint 2 and 8 Top? Just wonder if the man-women who  had stamped those tags know what they where doing.?Was it as much as 8 plants in 1954?

Leif in Sweden.

1954 Buick Special 46C.jpg

Plant 8 was Arlington, TX.  By the mid 1950's they were generally good about putting the final assembly plant in the lower left corner.  Also on this tag the top code T (tan) is on the trim line with K for Foamtex set cushions.  B was heater and defroster and I was Easy Eye Glass.  The serial number for that car is 4A8007680, so body built at Flint and final assembly at Arlington.