Gas Bags for Shocks

Guest The Brown Company

Guest The Brown Company

I have seen a lot of discussion about the old Delco Pleasurizers on these discussion boards!  I wanted to introduce our company, The Brown Company of Findlay.  We are the manufacturer of what used to be known as the delco genetron bag.  We have been in business for years and have a very strong presence in the shock/strut world.  Our customers are world-wide and our bags can be found in many well-known applications today that are on the market.  We have the capability of manufacturing over 125 types/sizes of these shock absorber bags.  If anyone happens to have questions about the bag, feel free to email us!

jbrown@tbcfindlay.com - Jenny Brown/QA Manager of The Brown Company

mbrown@tbcfindlay.com- Matt Brown/Vice President of The Brown Company

IMG_6599.jpg

In case anyone doesn't know... shock absorbers must have air space in them to compress as the piston goes up and down. But the air can turn to foam on rough roads, causing the shock absorber to stop functioning. The answer is to put the air in a plastic bag which can compress and not mix with the oil.

Some 40 years ago I cut a shock absorber apart and found one of these bags inside, took a few minutes to figure out what it was doing in there.

Never knew they were called a Genetron bag.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BillP said:

Not to digress, but when I first read the title, I thought it was for photos of ex-wives...

You know the old story

"I got a Studebaker for my wife. I don't miss her yet"

23 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Some 40 years ago I cut a shock absorber apart and found one of these bags inside, took a few minutes to figure out what it was doing in there.  Never knew they were called a Genetron bag.

So Rusty, how does one go about cutting and refurbishing the shock with these?  Is it possible for a home hobbyist?

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Ha ha ha no, you have to buy new shocks. I cut an old shock absorber apart because I needed the steel rod for something else and found the Genetron  inside.

That is why I asked, I did not think you could rebuild tubular shocks

The genetron name is interesting. Was it an Allied Signal or Honeywell gas product at the time of its introduction to shock absorbers? I can see using some stable very low boiling point gas for the weather ranges. Do you pack a few ml's cyrogentically, seal the pack, and let it vaporize?

I had a couple of patents cryogenic refrigeration processes back in the '90's and I'm having flash backs.

Bernie

13 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

The genetron name is interesting. Was it an Allied Signal or Honeywell gas product at the time of its introduction to shock absorbers?

May or may not be relevant but when introduced GM alternators in the 1960s were marketed as Delcotron Generators