YOM plates for daily driver use in Virginia

joe_padavano

I have just now successfully (and legally) registered my 67 Delta 88 for daily driver use in Virginia using Year of Manufacture plates.  Turns out that there is a little-known provision in the Code of Virginia (Section 46.2-730, Paragraph E) that allows this. Essentially, you treat it just like any other regular unrestricted registration (year and month stickers "attached" to the plate, annual safety inspection sticker required) but you can use the old plates. I went to a DMV Select office in Purcellville, VA (off the beaten path) to do this.  The agent there had never heard of this (no surprise) but a quick phone call confirmed what I was telling her.  It took two additional calls to figure out how to enter this transaction in the computer, but it was actually pretty painless.

One thing about the "attached" to the plate provision for the stickers.  There is apparently some wiggle room on interpreting this requirement.  Most people probably think that means stuck to the plate as they are on new plates, and I was fortunate to find 1967 Virginia plates with five digits and enough clear space for the stickers. Most VA YOM plates don't have the room.  You can buy small tags for the month/year stickers that "attach" to the plate with the mounting screws.  I didn't push that issue this time, but may need to for another car.

I also expect that local police will not be familiar with this obscure provision in the law, so I plan to keep a copy in the glovebox for when I am inevitably stopped.

• Like 1

Very interesting!  I didn't realize that was possible, thought the YOM plates would be under the same restrictions as antique plates.  Thanks for sharing!

I'm not sure about your area, but can tell you that around Winchester, Va.,  there are a LOT of cars and trucks with antique plates being used as daily drivers and work trucks.  It doesn't appear that the police have much interest enforcing that particular rule, that Antique Vehicle plates aren't for cars used for general transportation.  With the AV plates, there's no sticker, no yearly registration fee nor inspection required, and no personal property tax on the vehicle (at least in my County), so there's a big advantage to daily driving of a such-registered vehicle.

Maryland has notified holders of antique plates that it will be cracking down on daily use.  We see a lot of older hondas and such with antique tags who duck the inspection on transfer as well as save about $100 every two years on renewal.  Doubt they get a break on their insurance.

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

I'm not sure about your area, but can tell you that around Winchester, Va.,  there are a LOT of cars and trucks with antique plates being used as daily drivers and work trucks.  It doesn't appear that the police have much interest enforcing that particular rule, that Antique Vehicle plates aren't for cars used for general transportation.  With the AV plates, there's no sticker, no yearly registration fee nor inspection required, and no personal property tax on the vehicle (at least in my County), so there's a big advantage to daily driving of a such-registered vehicle.

I'm only 25 min from Winchester. :lol:

Yes, lots of abuse of the antique tags here in Loudoun Co. also.  I suspect that is to get around annual inspections and taxes.  The police keep claiming they plan to increase enforcement, which is why I wanted to be legal on the 67.  My 62 is only a weekend toy and does have the restricted YOM tags and registration.

Just for the record, here is the referenced portion of the Code (paragraph E is in boldface):

46.2-730. License plates for antique motor vehicles and antique trailers;fee.

A. On receipt of an application, the Commissioner shall issue appropriatelydesigned license plates to owners of antique motor vehicles and antiquetrailers. These license plates shall be valid so long as title to the vehicleis vested in the applicant. The fee for the registration card and licenseplates of any of these vehicles shall be $10.

B. On receipt of an application, the Commissioner may authorize for use on antique motor vehicles and antique trailers Virginia license plates manufactured prior to 1976 and designed for use without decals, if such license plates are embossed with or are of the same year of issue as the model year of the antique motor vehicle or antique trailer on which they are to be displayed. Original metal year tabs issued in place of license plates for years 1943 and 1953 and used with license plates issued in 1942 and 1952,respectively, also may be authorized by the Commissioner for use on antique motor vehicles and antique trailers that are of the same model year as th eyear the metal tab was originally issued. These license plates and metal tabsshall remain valid so long as title to the vehicle is vested in the applicant. The fee for the registration card and permission to use the license plates and metal tabs on any of these vehicles shall be $10.

C. Notwithstanding the provisions of 46.2-711 and 46.2-715, antique motorvehicles may display single license plates if the original manufacturer's design of the antique motor vehicles allows for the use of only single license plates or if the license plate was originally issued in one of the following years and is displayed in accordance with the provisions of subsection B of this section: 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1945, or 1946.

D. Except as provided in subsection E of this section, motor vehicles and trailers registered with license plates issued under this section shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to,daily travel to and from the owner's place of employment, but shall only be used:

1. For participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events; and

2. On the highways of the Commonwealth for the purpose of testing their operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in subdivision 1 of this subsection, and for occasional pleasure driving not exceeding 250 miles from the residence of the owner.

E. Notwithstanding the foregoing provision of this section, antique motor vehicles and antique trailers displaying license plates issued pursuant to subsections B and C of this section may be used for general transportation purposes if the following conditions are met:

1. The physical condition of the vehicle's license plate or plates has been inspected and approved by the Department;

2. The license plate or plates are registered to the specific vehicle by the Department;

3. The owner of the vehicle periodically registers the vehicle with the Department and pays a registration fee for the vehicle equal to that whichwould be charged to obtain regular state license plates for that vehicle;

4. The vehicle passes a periodic safety inspection as provided in Article 21( 46.2-1157 et seq.) of Chapter 10 of this title;

5. The vehicle displays current decals attached to the license plate, issued by the Department, indicating the valid registration period for the vehicle;and

6. When applicable, the vehicle meets the requirement of Article 22 (46.2-1176 et seq.) of Chapter 10 of this title.

If more than one request is made for use, as provided in this subsection, of license plates having the same number, the Department shall accept only thefirst such application. Only vehicles titled to the person seeking to use license plates as provided in this subsection shall be eligible to use license plates as provided in this subsection.

F. Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the use of an antique motor vehicle to tow a trailer or semitrailer.

The generous perk Virginia allows is  "And for occasional pleasure driving not exceeding 250 miles from the residence of the owner".
It also makes it legit to use the antique-plated vehicle to pull a trailer full of junk...er, did I say that... uhMVC-372S.JPG.da98fd950f867a5f63c636eefa2aa8a1.JPG            "antiques" of course, to Hershey!  That's pleasure for sure,   business, naw.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Joe, I wasn't aware you were that close!  "Northern Virginia" is a large area......

As Dave states, that provision is very generous, and in reality it means that in the eyes of the law just about any driving is OK in Virginia with antique plates, as it would be hard for the authorities to back up a claim of anything more than "occasional".  That's also a word with different meanings to different people, the person who drafted the law might have been thinking "occasional" was once a month, yet a devotee of antique cars might interpret it as every other day!

5 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Joe, I wasn't aware you were that close!  "Northern Virginia" is a large area......

As Dave states, that provision is very generous, and in reality it means that in the eyes of the law just about any driving is OK in Virginia with antique plates, as it would be hard for the authorities to back up a claim of anything more than "occasional".  That's also a word with different meanings to different people, the person who drafted the law might have been thinking "occasional" was once a month, yet a devotee of antique cars might interpret it as every other day!

Yeah, but I plan to use the 67 for daily commuting. My motto is "don't poke the bear". :D

Besides, with my luck, I'd be like the couple with the old Chevy who got arrested...

• Like 1

For 10 years I had my 1969 Cutlass convertible registered as a "regular" car, with regular plates, yearly inspections, and so forth.  I'd drive it to work quite often and use it for general transportation.  I finally transferred it to YOM plates, about two years ago, and use it less now that I'm retired.

I understand early Richmond Region AACA President Frantz Hershey was instrumental in Virginia's Antique tag provision coming to pass - possibly as early as the late 1950s. Maybe other RR members will jump in on this?

36 minutes ago, AC Fuhrman said:

I understand early Richmond Region AACA President Frantz Hershey was instrumental in Virginia's Antique tag provision coming to pass - possibly as early as the late 1950s. Maybe other RR members will jump in on this?

Earl Beauchamp and the ODMA was too. I am sure he will chime in on this.

• Like 1

Joe, not only don't some DMV agents understand the law, but some police officers also don't. We were pulled over in my friends '32 Ford with VOM plates and when my friend tried to explain the law to this officer, he really laid into my friend. "You think I'm stupid, I know the law, I passed all the tests the police academy gives". Well the my friend produced the registration that proved everything was legit and explained the law to the officer. The officer literally threw the registration into the car and walked away. Just make sure you have all the documents you need.

37 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Just make sure you have all the documents you need.

Amen!  Here in The Pipples Republik of Caleeforneeya, one can get Horseless Carriage (HC--thru 1922 + V-16s to 1964) or Historic Vehicle (HV--others to 1974 or so) plates which cost $2 ad valorem (based on the price you swore you paid) in addition to basic registration fees.  Cheapest total registration in my county is $93 per year per car.  To get those HC or HV plates, one must sign a DMV form that you will use the vehicle ONLY for tours and to/from shows, parades, etc.; HOWEVER, a section of the Vehicle Code (VC) says "principally" for such activities.  I construe "principally" as 51%, and thus carry a copy of that VC section with my registration and proof of insurance.

If you have regular plates, including the prized "black plates"  issued 1963-70, or YOM, you must pay full ad valorem on what you certified you paid for the car.  A little over a year ago, I was finally, after 18 years, able to acquire the 1918 Pierce I'd lusted after for all those years, wearing 1918 porcelain plates registered to it for years.  When the renewal came due, the State wanted a modest $949 to renew registration for one year.  Needless to say, I converted to HC plates.  You guys in Virginia have it made!

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

Joe, not only don't some DMV agents understand the law, but some police officers also don't. We were pulled over in my friends '32 Ford with VOM plates and when my friend tried to explain the law to this officer, he really laid into my friend. "You think I'm stupid, I know the law, I passed all the tests the police academy gives". Well the my friend produced the registration that proved everything was legit and explained the law to the officer. The officer literally threw the registration into the car and walked away. Just make sure you have all the documents you need.

My point exactly.

• Like 1

Terry, I agree, see similar quite often around here and it just makes me mad, as at some point the abuse of the plates might cause changes in regulations.

I realize 25 years is the Antique Automobile designation in Virginia, as it is for the AACA, but 1992 automobiles are well into the "modern" era and a lot of them are still on the road.  My sister drives a 1993 Honda Accord, it's in beautiful shape (she's 80) with low miles, but antique plates and/or showing such a four door modern car at Hershey?  Legal in both cases, yes, but not sensical.......

Terry, I can't believe that picture. How does this guy get away with that? There has to be some method of preventing things like this. I guess he is also scamming his insurance company and paying antique auto rates. I wonder if there is a way of sending that picture to the DMV.

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

Terry, I can't believe that picture. How does this guy get away with that? There has to be some method of preventing things like this. I guess he is also scamming his insurance company and paying antique auto rates. I wonder if there is a way of sending that picture to the DMV.
I'd opt to not bring up the subject with the DMV....  Pandora's box?

• Like 1

A few years back when I wanted Pennsylvania Antique Tags for my 69 Chevy C10 Pickup, I was required to provide front, rear, left and right side photos as prove it was Original Condition. I had Rally Wheels on it (still do) but this was unexceptionable. So I had to search out 2 original Chevy Truck Hub Caps to place on the Rally Wheels and retake the pictures first on the right side and then on the left to finally get the Antique Title and Tag. Now, photos are no longer required in Pa.

At a local Show there was a late model 4 X 4 lifted with huge wheels and tires that had Antique tags? I guess he knows somebody at PennDot or I guess anything goes now? BUT, I'd think you'd be subject to a fine if police pull you over and most likely have the Tag Pulled.

Sounds like a Money Maker for Pa.  Also, I doubt that an insurance company would insure something like that as Antique.

On another of my cars, a '74 Porsche 914, I just re-titled this year as Antique, which it is. The total cost for new Permanent Title, Registration and Tag was a one time deal for $156, and the car is now exempt from annual Inspections and Registration renewals.  Pa. says you can drive it one day a week or for special events, or to and from a mechanic. 

1 hour ago, Doug Novak said:

Now, photos are no longer required in Pa.

Now that photos are no longer required in PA for Antique Tags that has opened up the floodgates fully when it comes to abuse.

Years ago when I applied for PA Antique Tags (with photos) PENNDOT denied the application due to my truck having fog lights and a cap on the bed.

I removed those items and was issued tags back when these tags were $97.50 (ie cheap). I see from your post that you opted not to go with the personalized Antique Tag. I can understand why since that adds $100 to the cost of the tag. Gotta love our state legislators making the money grab from our wallets.

Last summer when I went to a local car cruise in I noticed that close to 10% of all the cars at this show had PA Antique Tags which never would have been issued back when photos were required. Really kind of ticked me off since many of us abide by the law and others abuse and/or take advantage of it.

Speaking of abuse and taking advantage I saw the truck in the photo I attached  around lunch time a couple of Wednesday's ago.

I am no expert on Ford Ranger trucks but I do not believe they came from the factory in this color, nor had a bar like that mounted in the bed nor were lifted with big tires like these. I also do not think there were any Ford car shows scheduled that Wednesday. BTW if you zoom in on the passenger side rear tire you will see that it is nearly BALD and would absolutely, positively fail a PA Safety inspection. Hope I am not driving near this fella on this highway next time it is raining heavily. Would not want to be him either when he has an accident with those bald tires.

I also find it a shame that the PENNDOT web site does not have a page, link or email where people can email or post photos of vehicle owners abusing PA Antique Tags. Photos like this could easily be used to revoke tags issued to people abusing the system. Heck, that would mean more money for PA since these people would be forced to buy new, regular tags, pay the yearly registration and have the yearly emissions and safety inspections.

Charlie

PA Antique Tag Abuse.jpg

From my home state - and back in my day you had to show that you belonged to a car club, had insurance and there was a list of limitations including getting the car inspected still!

(No that's not my van in Terry's picture!)

nyhist72.jpg