For Sale 1933 Chrysler CL Imperial

I hate inquiring for a price.  Even If I had 6 figures burning a hole in my pocket,  I would probably pass and look for something else.  I hate listening to a half hour or longer sales pitch only to find out it's more than likely more than I want to spend,  even though I'm usually prepared to spend appropriate money for the type of cars I'm looking for. (I always research sold or similar sold cars so I'm prepared to take the next step before I waste anyone's time day dreaming) Probably the most important fact of any car for sale is how much?  We all have a number in mind, even the extremely affluent.  They didn't usually get that way by being free with their money. 

• Like 1

Dealers' cars tend to be higher priced to begin with;

and his website says "inquire" without posting a price.

Unless the car is a consignment with reasonable expectations,

I don't think there's much chance of a good buy here.

(And if the expectations were reasonable, he would

probably let everyone know by posting his asking price.)

One of our local region members specializes in 1931-33

Imperials and says they drive well, requiring less

downshifting than other cars of those years.

They have some of the most graceful styling, too.

Most dealers will just send you the price if you email them.  For 375 I'm going to assume that the restoration is nice but not great.  The color holds it back too.  A perfect roadster CL sold for over 600k at Hershey a few years ago.

The argument that people want cars from their youth is specious.  The market for big Brass cars and interest in Model Ts is strong and everybody that knew those cars as a youth are gone.   The real issue with the decline in interest has to do with the lack of basic mechanical skills of everybody under 45 has.   And yes, I know "everybody" is an exageration but if you go back 50 years,  every single 18 year old male could change the oil in a car.  How many now can check the oil?

• Like 1

while 375k is way out of my price range- the styling is fantastic and if I had the $, would rather own this car to a 5 mill Mercedes 540k.

Als, looks like the big brass cars are dropping drastically in price to me. Maybe I'm not in the right circles...........

Words mean something. .

"a period correct Imperial engine was installed"

I notice It  has a short (30-3/4"long) water jacket 1932 Imperial CH engine, which is the very same as 1932 CL, however this car should have a long water jacket (32-3/4"long) which is the improved design that appeared in late 1932 CH.

Some early 1933 CL and some 1933 which were originally 1932 but sent back to the factory to be upgraded did have short water jackets, but late 33 CL had long water jackets. For visual ID, the long water jacket extended to the water pump whereas the short water jacket is 2" shy of the water pump.

I doubt that it significantly affects the value.

9 hours ago, mercer09 said:

while 375k is way out of my price range- the styling is fantastic and if I had the $, would rather own this car to a 5 mill Mercedes 540k.

Als, looks like the big brass cars are dropping drastically in price to me. Maybe I'm not in the right circles...........

From what I have seen of the auction results sections in Hemmings each month,  there may be a few sleepers or Duds, (usually something ran through Mecum or such with a bunch of Muscle Cars) many seem to blow right past their "book value"