Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dosmo

What Is It? 2017/03/20 1742

10 posts in this topic

All responses appreciated.

H01500.jpg

In New Zealand, these late T's were known as "new Beauties".  I'd be interested to know if this was a local term or more widely used.

Regards

Al 

Al,

I thought the term "New Beauty" referred to Model A's not T's, specifically the 30/31's compared to the 28/29's.

For whatever reason, I can never identify these two years of the Model T as Fords unless I'm close enough to see "Ford" embossed in the radiator.  Are these Model Ts less common than the ones from the early 1920s?

My first thought as I looked at this one was Chevrolet.

26 and 27 Model T's are the only years which utilized a headlight bar, instead of individual pedestals for the headlights, which makes them distinctly different in appearance. Also, 26 and 27 T's are often (usually?) seen with wire wheels, which I believe were not factory installed on earlier Model T's. So these factors can throw you off. When I was a little kid, and trying to learn how to ID various cars in our car club, some of the first features I learned to look for were the tiny radiator cap with external threads for Model T's, and gas caps on top of the cowl for Model A's. 

1 person likes this

One of the clear signs is the plated radiator shell. They were plated in 1926 and 1927.

1 person likes this

The smooth looks of the front fenders can also throw you off as they were a great improvement over the earlier ones. Lump is correct that the wire wheels and bumpers were factory accessories first made available in 1926 and sold through 1927 which was the last year for the Model T. The headlamp bar was an early 26 addition, around April I think, as the earlier 26's had lamps mounted to the fenders - rumored to be because of the new bumper blocking the front registration plate and needing a place to hang it in sight when you had bumpers, but many 26-27 T's had cracks in the outer lip of the fenders and I can only think that the fender mounted lights would have made this worse.

1 person likes this

Most 26 Ts did not have the headlight bar. Also most open 26 Ts had painted radiator shells.

Eddie's T 008.JPG

The nickle plating was actually offered in 25. Henry was feeling the heat from Chevy so he did some dressing up