1920's Valve Cage Project (and Tune-up)

Brian_Heil

A follow-up to this post. 

I did a compression test this past Fall on the engine cold.  All six cylinders, all spark plugs removed, about 2 seconds of cranking on each cylinder.  

All six cylinders were 70 to 71 PSI.  Not bad for stock cast iron piston and rings with more miles on them then I will ever know. 

At least I can feel good that the valve work completed has held up well for 6 years and -8000+ miles. 

I had a couple cylinders near zero and none higher than 40 psi before the work. 

• Like 8

Brian,

I would say that that is a pretty good testament to the original engineering that Mr. Marr put into the Buick automobile and that the person and/or persons who did the valve train rebuilding might have known a little bit about what they were doing.  Good on you!!

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi all…..need some help. I need a good used exhaust valve for a 1921 Buick. See photos below. We have the barn find sorted and running. Valve started leaking within a mile on the first test drive. I’m sure it’s why the car got parked fifty years ago……..

IMG_3079.jpeg

IMG_3080.jpeg

IMG_3098.jpeg

IMG_3097.jpeg

IMG_3101.jpeg

IMG_3103.png

• Like 1

Would love a a couple each of intake and exhaust ones…..used. A two springs. I haven’t pulled it all apart yet because I didn’t want to get stuck for a year chasing parts. I will do them all. 

FYI- regardless of what I pay Morgan for the parts, I will be making a donation to the AACA library also……..because of this site many cars are back on the road……….and the service is one I am happy to support. Thanks Morgan. I will send you a PM.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

A big THANK YOU to Morgan Wright for helping me out with used parts and getting them out right away. He is a true gentleman and supporter of the hobby.

He gets my very seldom three thumbs up rating......👍👍👍 Thanks Morgan!

Another early Buick on the road that would otherwise not have happened...........

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Morgan, the parts arrived at 10 am this morning. The car was running by 3pm this afternoon. Not a bad  turn around time for a 102 year old used car. 😎

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

What took you so long? You had the package in hand at 9:17 AM according to tracking, you should have had the valve all cleaned up and lapped by 9:30 and in the car by 9:45

Are you a service writer at a dealership?

• Haha 3