1901 Curved Dash Oldsmobile Replica - Merry Olds

This car was originally factory built by American Air Products Corp., of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida sometime between 1958 and 1962.  The model was known as a “Merry Olds”and the serial number of this car is 390333. These replica cars were featured in the Sept. 1958 issue of Popular Mechanics Magazine, a copy in the photos.

Named after a popular song of 1905 – ‘In my merry Oldsmobile’ – the Merry Olds was a revival of Oldsmobile’s famous curved dash runabout of 1901. Intended as a recreational vehicle, the Merry Olds was introduced in 1958 by The Air Products Corporation of Ford Lauderdale, Florida and advertised as ‘The car with the backward look’. It was a close copy of Oldsmobile’s original runabout right down to its tiller steering, bicycle type wheels, chain drive and brass lamps. The Merry’s engine was a single-cylinder 500cc 4hp Clinton; a top speed of 35mph and 60 miles per gallon was claimed. Factory built and not a kit car, the Merry Olds could be licensed as a motor vehicle in all States. Production continued into the 1960s.  Originally it sold for $1495.00 in 1958.

Of course this one deserves a freshening of its cosmetics.  It runs well, steers, charges, starts and stops as it should.  I used it with my kids, however now I am teaching the kids on real cars, so its time for someone else to enjoy this and give it a fresh coat of paint.

Located in Smithfield, RI and asking $4,900  Watch the video on my site.  

http://www.tomlaferriere.com/listings/1902-curved-dash-oldsmobile-replica-merry-olds

MerryOlds-1.jpg

MerryOlds-3.jpg

MerryOlds-5.jpg

MerryOlds-12.jpg

MerryOlds-19.jpg

MerryOlds-20.jpg

MerryOlds-21.jpg

• 4 years later...