Carter carburetor special tools

carbking

I have long been a fan of most of the Carter carburetors due to the metering rod technology used by Carter. If correctly calibrated and adjusted, the metering rod technology means a flatter A/F curve throughout the vacuum range of the engine. But this technology is a double edged sword, with the earlier (basically prior to 1954) carburetors REQUIRING one special tool for adjustment - the metering rod gauge.

When thinking about starting this thread concerning metering rod gauges, I considered other special carburetor tools, and decided to link a page from my website that pictures virtually all of the Carter special tools. MANY special tools may be replaced by other tools more commonly available; or, with the talent of many on these forums, made from scratch once the shape of the tool is seen. As an example, single pontoon float gauges may generally be replaced with drill bits. So the purpose of this post is information.

Moderators: this is a link to my website, and most of these items are for sale, so if you feel this thread inappropriate, please remove it.

If not, and there are questions about special carburetor tools that this thread inspires, I will try to answer them. In addition to Carter, other carburetor companies had special tools. I have literature and some samples of tools by Holley, Marvel, Rochester, Stromberg, and Zenith in addition to those by Carter.

There are two classes of the Carter special tools that are difficult to work around; these being the metering rod gauges, and the float gauges for double pontoon floats as they have the dimension for side adjustment as well as vertical. Many of the other specials may be fabricated. As an example, the fuel pump flex tool is simply a wooden handle into which is inserted a steel rod with a milled slot. Wooden dowels are readily available, as are steel rods; and if one does not have a milling machine, a hacksaw and a thin file can cut the slot. One just needs to see the shape of the original tool (T-109-192 in the link).

Jon.

Link: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carter_tools.htm

Jon,

Very cool.  I'd suggest that even for tools that are sold out, if you could keep the photo on the website for ID purposes, that would be helpful to others.

Any similar info for Rochester carb tools?

Joe - yes: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Rochester_tools.htm

I do plan to leave the pictures in place.

One day, maybe will have time to photograph the individual Holley, Marvel, Stromberg, and Zenith tools.

I pictured the Marvel rebuilding kit on this forum a few years ago. Here are the Marvel pictures:

Marvel_tool_1.jpg

Marvel_tool_2.jpg

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)