avgwarhawk

1960 Buick Electra

100 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I live in PA and they use exempt on cars after a certain age with 5 digit speedometers,it pisses me off also,but if you ask when changing titles,most places will put in mileage,most people don't catch that and if you don't ask,they do it automatically.The old gal whom I got my Hudsons from didn't catch it and they say exempt now too,very irritating for us car fanatics !  Almost as bad as the young girl who did the work and didn't think there where enough numbers in the VIN,I had to explain that back then there weren't as many cars !

Edited by RivRider (see edit history)

16 hours ago, RivRider said:

I live in PA and they use exempt on cars after a certain age with 5 digit speedometers,it pisses me off also,but if you ask when changing titles,most places will put in mileage,most people don't catch that and if you don't ask,they do it automatically.The old gal whom I got my Hudsons from didn't catch it and they say exempt now too,very irritating for us car fanatics !  Almost as bad as the young girl who did the work and didn't think there where enough numbers in the VIN,I had to explain that back then there weren't as many cars !

What got me was a Maryland DVM representative asking me why the PA DOT noted exempt for mileage.   Again, how the hell do I know???  Then question the mileage.  Again, what difference does it make???   It appeared to me the representative was looking to not issue a tag.  My DVM is a bundle of constant poor attitude.  Honestly, if the guy smiled his face would have cracked.  Just miserable.      

1 person likes this

General clean up continues.  I repaired the grill emblem.  I appears lead was used to keep the tri-shield in the round circle of chrome.  One of the tabs with lead was completely detached and hanging on by the other tab of lead. I drilled out the lead and tapped in a small screw. It is very secure now.  

Start tidying up under the hood in the coming week.   Start accessing the suspension and related rubber parts. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

My DVM is a bundle of constant poor attitude.  Honestly, if the guy smiled his face would have cracked.  Just miserable.

When I run into one like that, after everything is finished I ask them who they work for.  The usual answer is 'for the state'...my last jab is to remind them that they work for me.  They still don't smile...

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, old-tank said:

When I run into one like that, after everything is finished I ask them who they work for.  The usual answer is 'for the state'...my last jab is to remind them that they work for me.  They still don't smile...

You know Willie, after I got the tags I was very close to telling the representative to try smiling once in a while it may help.   I thought better of it.  I was not going to reach this guy in one transaction let alone a month of Sundays.  Everyone...I mean everyone at the DMV is miserable.  I can understand it to a degree.   They listen to every sad sack story of why the registration ran out or insurance was not paid.  But when one steps to the window with every shred of paper ready, ID in hand, payment method out and all is as it should be....maybe just maybe they could be cheerful.   

1 person likes this

Look on the other side All they get is grief and hear lies all day.

3 people like this

So do I and I am always nice to my customers,deal with the public,grin a bare it.

1 person likes this

The agency does not have to be nice to stay in business.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, old-tank said:

The agency does not have to be nice to stay in business.

Therein lies the problem.  Usually they don't but there was one that did.   Our local BMV registrar DID go out of business after numerous complaints about the lack of friendliness exhibited by the employees.  In Ohio, the BMV (the one's that issue license plates and such) are politically appointed positions.  While I generally don't care for political appointments, in this one case it worked out in the favor of the constituents.  There were enough complaints that the "new Governor" gave the position to a different person and removed the previous person that was appointed by a previous administration.  This isn't usually done, but I guess there was on exception in this one case :-).

New registrar is doing a bang up business since now word has gotten out that they are new and they are nice.  Folks use to go to another county to do their business with a different registrar, but now stay local.  Sometimes, just sometimes, it does work out...

Edited by Brad Conley (see edit history)

As a former Civil Servant I will stick up for the unfriendly worker.  Those folks usually have a job which is narrow in scope and individuality.  They can do things within very limited authority.  If one presents all paperwork exactly as they need it to do their job, they are grateful.  They may not smile because of several reasons but if they do their job in one visit to their window, with no obvious lack of respect, I consider them to be nice, and thank them as I go on my happy way. 

We can all be sure that they have dealt with dozens of people who were either unprepared and or insisting that the worker bends the rules just this time. Situations which undoubtedly cause unnecessary stress. 

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Like I said, I can understand it as these folks hear every sad sack story all day.  Gets old I'm sure.  I simply took my tags and went about my day.  Truth be told, I prayed for the guy. 

I have cleaned the exterior and interior.  I'm always of mind that a clean car is a happy car.   I have some gaskets on the way to begin oil leak control.   Tidy up the engine compartment. Vacuum hoses, new hard line from the fuel pump to the carb.  Somewhere along the way it was replaced with a rubber hose and in line filter.   Top radiator hose is universal and ugly.  I have a molded hose to replace it.  Until then....

17390531_10210446716715901_4130784189539        

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
4 people like this

The rubber fuel line is factory stock.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Smartin said:

The rubber fuel line is factory stock.

I did some homework and looked at pictures of engine compartments.  I replaced the rubber line and new filter.  The original glass set up I have seen in pictures is not present any longer.  

Thanks for any tips!!!!!

Today I replaced the valve cover gaskets.  Found a broken body to block ground and repaired.   Inside the covers was quite good.  No gunk or sludge in the heads.  Not quite as easy as the 264 in the 54 but did not take long.

Found on the muffler.  Should bring back some memories for some

WP_20170322_002_zps2m1k2p4b.jpg  

WP_20170322_004_zpssmrvdnsi.jpg

WP_20170322_005_zpsamnsyvvz.jpg

Clean but appears to maybe have had condensation.  Oil is getting changed.  The previous owner used synthetic oil

WP_20170322_006_zps0yo0fkkb.jpg

3 people like this

On 3/22/2017 at 7:29 PM, avgwarhawk said:

The previous owner used synthetic oil

Hey now, nothing wrong with synthetic oils... Without getting too into it, I wouldn't use anything but Mobil 1 EP or Castrol EDGE if using Synthetic. At least it wasn't Purple.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, Beemon said:

Hey now, nothing wrong with synthetic oils... Without getting too into it, I wouldn't use anything but Mobil 1 EP or Castrol EDGE if using Synthetic. At least it wasn't Purple.

I noted on the receipts purchasing synthetic oil for the Buick.  It runs like a top so there is nothing wrong with that!   I now run Lucas Classic Car/Hot Rod oil with added zinc.  I did run regular old dino oil in the 54.  I did not note any odd ball wear when I took the top of the engine apart.  But, I decided to run an oil with added zinc.    

Changed the oil. Pulled off a clean Frame filter with a hand written date of 4/6/08. This car sat A LOT. Installed a Hastings filter and filled with Lucas Classic Car 10/W30. Lubed the front end. Had a bit of trouble understanding the zerk fitting for the propeller shaft. Posted in the other forum for clarification. While under there noticed the shocks are original. Makes sense on a car with 30k. No doubt this Buick was a garage queen that spent a good part of it's life sitting.

2 people like this

After 10 years NY doesn't care about mileage...

That is a really nice car😻 . I never get tired of the lines, just beautiful

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Small repairs continue.  I found the original vacuum actuator of heat blend door held open with a very small Bungie cord. Been there quite sometime.  Very old.   I figure the actuator was leaking vacuum and or the cable that was off the blower fan speed controller lead to an additional problem of the blend door not opening. Previous owner not understanding how the system worked or the cable off the arm for the speed controller was not diagnosed and repaired. Possible he could not find the part.  It is a mystery. At any rate, the blower fan controller cable I reattached as posted above.  I replaced the blend door vacuum actuator. The actuator vacuum hose connects to the cable speed controller. From there the vacuum source is off the manifold.  Once the fan switch on the dash and heat is selected  the vacuum actuator pulls open the blend door.  It works as designed now.  Bungie went in the trash.   

I have a set of springs for the rear and shocks for all four corners.  Next weeks project.  I also found the original glass bowl fuel filter assembly is missing.  I found one on Ebay.  I have the filter for it coming.  Also a project for this week.  

WP_20170331_001_zpsialwzm6x.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
5 people like this

She's a lucky girl!  ;)

1 person likes this

There is a lot more room in your Engine compartment without all the A/C stuff that lives in mine. You can actually get to the back plug on the passenger side.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

There is a lot more room in your Engine compartment without all the A/C stuff that lives in mine. You can actually get to the back plug on the passenger side.

Strangely enough the car had an aftermarket Sears a/c unit that the previous owner had removed.  I have the instruction on installing and working this unit from Sears.  But yeah, a/c systems as well as other goodies(like pollution control devices) can make maintenance difficult.   I can remember the Chevy Chevette having to remove the a/c compressor to access the distributor cap!!!