1960 Buick Electra

avgwarhawk

I picked up my new 1960 Buick Electra today.  They Dynaflow is a curiously cool transmission.  Just keeps pulling.  The previous owner kept records and receipts.  Had the Dynaflow serviced quite a bit.  I'm guessing this is what keeps it working as design.  

17390684_1436912122996111_74683026040404

• Like 13

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

I picked up my new 1960 Buick Electra today.  They Dynaflow is a curiously cool transmission.  Just keeps pulling.  The previous owner kept records and receipts.  Had the Dynaflow serviced quite a bit.  I'm guessing this is what keeps it working as design.  

17390684_1436912122996111_74683026040404

I love the color on that car!  And, may I ask what the width of your white walls are? 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Can someone explain the air flow switch on the dash? Appears mechanical via cable.   Currently the blower motor is continuous blowing high and will not shut off.  I suspect the blower resister has gone bad.  Anyone have this issue? Any outfit produce a replacement?  

5 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Thanks. They look really good on your car. Would be interested in a drivers road performance report. 

Work and feel like a bias ply.   I did run at 65-70 mph for 150 or so miles driving it home. Effortless and not a chore like my 54.  Performed well and I did not spend time correcting the steering.  I need to replace the rears and will purchase the same Cokers that are on the front.   I like the bias ply WW look as well.

• Like 1

Very nice ride,I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that doesn't mind an extra set of doors ! So many people don't even give a    4-dr. a second look.Makes me even more antsy to get working on mine, a '60 LeSabre. How many miles on yours? Mine has been named "Elvira",all black and looks like she should be driving.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Can someone explain the air flow switch on the dash? Appears mechanical via cable.   Currently the blower motor is continuous blowing high and will not shut off.  I suspect the blower resister has gone bad.  Anyone have this issue? Any outfit produce a replacement?  

I found the reason for the blower motor to run on high at all times.  Reading the manual(RTM go figure) it states the air flow lever should have detents for each speed.  I noticed my lever was smooth when pushing and pulling.  I removed the flimsy black plastic cover over the cable and found the cable was off the detent lever on the bracket.  Once attached and fresh lube the blower motor now runs on all speeds.   Easy fix. God is good.

WP_20170319_001_zpsqcad8n9n.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, RivRider said:

Very nice ride,I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that doesn't mind an extra set of doors ! So many people don't even give a    4-dr. a second look.Makes me even more antsy to get working on mine, a '60 LeSabre. How many miles on yours? Mine has been named "Elvira",all black and looks like she should be driving.

The two doors are getting harder to find and when found they cost an arm and leg.  I have gotten plenty of thumbs up, looks and horn honks in the past two days that we know the 4 doors are admired, liked and are cool land yachts.  My brother who owns a 1960 Imperial Southampton said 3 times when looking at it today what a beautiful car this Buick is. His Imperial gets looks all the time.  Just a unique ride.    I went to fill the tank and a gentleman asked me if it was a MERCEDES!!!  Good chuckle.  Then he proceeded to say the green is very soft on the eyes.  My brother said the same thing concerning the green.   The Buick is a cream puff.  I let my 19 year old daughter drive it today.  She was just smiling!!!  

I have been a 4 door sedan driver most of my life.  I prefer them to be honest.

The mileage is 30680.  It is original mileage.  The interior is pristine with exception of 1 wire that has broken though the piping sewn into the driver side seat.  It is in the typical lower back spot were everyone rubs their arse as they slide into the car.   The paint is original and has a few warts.  I should look so good at 57 years old.  Chrome is in great shape.  Windows are excellent with exception of a wing window showing age.  I need to find or repair the wing window regulator on the driver side.  Other than that, an entire brake overhaul was performed in 2014(all cylinders, hardware, hoses and rebuild of the master cylinder was done.  Once done the car was driven less than 200 miles before I made purchase.  I have to say the person who did the brakes did a great job.  No pull when leaning into the pedal. Pedal feels good.  Car stops very well.  Over the 3 year period of sitting the brake light switch went south.  I replaced it after purchasing and brake lights are functioning.   

I understand there is another rubber brake hose somewhere along the torque tube that is overlooked.  I need to take a look at this hose to assure it has been replaced.       

• Like 4

Concerning the Dynaflow, I do not detect any leaks.  Surprised the hell out of me. After sitting for the night it leaked motor oil!  To be sure I pulled the stick for the transmission. It was full and nice clean reddish fluid on the stick was observed.  I pulled the oil stick. Down a quart and dirty.  The cardboard I placed under the engine had drippings of dirty oil.  I know valve cover gaskets are leaking. Fuel pump is leaking at the gasket. So, time to start repairing these leaks.  I have not looked under the engine yet.

• Like 1

One thing people forget is the rear end,well worth changing.Just a suggestion,I use Lucas products in every fluid in the car,especially with cars not driven regularly,keeps gaskets and seals from drying.When I bought my Riviera 25 years ago,she had a whine in the rear,used the Lucas oil stabilizer in the rear,suggested on the bottle, and has not made a noise since.Rear main seal was dripping and that also stopped.I have a pair of Hudsons that have stopped any oil leaks also,Lucas in everything I own.                                            One of the most unusual parts of that '60 is the speedometer,how many people realize is is embedded in the top of the dash,upside down and backward and you are looking at a mirror to read with an adjustment on the side for you're height behind wheel !

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RivRider said:

One thing people forget is the rear end,well worth changing.Just a suggestion,I use Lucas products in every fluid in the car,especially with cars not driven regularly,keeps gaskets and seals from drying.When I bought my Riviera 25 years ago,she had a whine in the rear,used the Lucas oil stabilizer in the rear,suggested on the bottle, and has not made a noise since.Rear main seal was dripping and that also stopped.I have a pair of Hudsons that have stopped any oil leaks also,Lucas in everything I own.                                            One of the most unusual parts of that '60 is the speedometer,how many people realize is is embedded in the top of the dash,upside down and backward and you are looking at a mirror to read with an adjustment on the side for you're height behind wheel !

I replaced the rear end gear oil in my 54.  The smell was nothing short of atrocious. Had to be original oil.   I just started using Lucas Classic Car oil for the 54.  Will use it as well on the 60.  I drive my cars one a week weather permitting.  Keeps them happy!

The dash is unique!  

• Like 1

Went to obtain the historic tags. DMV...enough said. >:/   I was questioned on two items....

1. Why did the State of PA DOT write "exempt" in the blank for the mileage located on the title? (How the hell do I know. I do not work for the PA DOT.  It is notarized by the DOT of PA. Call'em.)

2.  Does the car really have 30650 miles on it?  (Why yes. I can show you older cars with even less miles. What does it matter anyway????)   

Tags secured.  Moving on.....

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Went to obtain the historic tags. DMV...enough said. >:/   I was questioned on two items....

1. Why did the State of PA DOT write "exempt" in the blank for the mileage located on the title? (How the hell do I know. I do not work for the PA DOT.  It is notarized by the DOT of PA. Call'em.)

2.  Does the car really have 30650 miles on it?  (Why yes. I can show you older cars with even less miles. What does it matter anyway????)   

Tags secured.  Moving on.....

In NC on older cars (without the extra digit on the odometer) they put "mileage exceeds mechanical limits"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

In NC on older cars (without the extra digit on the odometer) they put "mileage exceeds mechanical limits"

Apparently NC does not know about the AACA and the members who say WHEN the mileage exceeds mechanical limits. :D   Never give up!!!! 

• Like 1

I live in PA and they use exempt on cars after a certain age with 5 digit speedometers,it pisses me off also,but if you ask when changing titles,most places will put in mileage,most people don't catch that and if you don't ask,they do it automatically.The old gal whom I got my Hudsons from didn't catch it and they say exempt now too,very irritating for us car fanatics !  Almost as bad as the young girl who did the work and didn't think there where enough numbers in the VIN,I had to explain that back then there weren't as many cars !

Edited by RivRider (see edit history)

16 hours ago, RivRider said:

I live in PA and they use exempt on cars after a certain age with 5 digit speedometers,it pisses me off also,but if you ask when changing titles,most places will put in mileage,most people don't catch that and if you don't ask,they do it automatically.The old gal whom I got my Hudsons from didn't catch it and they say exempt now too,very irritating for us car fanatics !  Almost as bad as the young girl who did the work and didn't think there where enough numbers in the VIN,I had to explain that back then there weren't as many cars !

What got me was a Maryland DVM representative asking me why the PA DOT noted exempt for mileage.   Again, how the hell do I know???  Then question the mileage.  Again, what difference does it make???   It appeared to me the representative was looking to not issue a tag.  My DVM is a bundle of constant poor attitude.  Honestly, if the guy smiled his face would have cracked.  Just miserable.      

• Like 1

General clean up continues.  I repaired the grill emblem.  I appears lead was used to keep the tri-shield in the round circle of chrome.  One of the tabs with lead was completely detached and hanging on by the other tab of lead. I drilled out the lead and tapped in a small screw. It is very secure now.  

Start tidying up under the hood in the coming week.   Start accessing the suspension and related rubber parts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

My DVM is a bundle of constant poor attitude.  Honestly, if the guy smiled his face would have cracked.  Just miserable.

When I run into one like that, after everything is finished I ask them who they work for.  The usual answer is 'for the state'...my last jab is to remind them that they work for me.  They still don't smile...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, old-tank said:

When I run into one like that, after everything is finished I ask them who they work for.  The usual answer is 'for the state'...my last jab is to remind them that they work for me.  They still don't smile...

You know Willie, after I got the tags I was very close to telling the representative to try smiling once in a while it may help.   I thought better of it.  I was not going to reach this guy in one transaction let alone a month of Sundays.  Everyone...I mean everyone at the DMV is miserable.  I can understand it to a degree.   They listen to every sad sack story of why the registration ran out or insurance was not paid.  But when one steps to the window with every shred of paper ready, ID in hand, payment method out and all is as it should be....maybe just maybe they could be cheerful.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, old-tank said:

The agency does not have to be nice to stay in business.

Therein lies the problem.  Usually they don't but there was one that did.   Our local BMV registrar DID go out of business after numerous complaints about the lack of friendliness exhibited by the employees.  In Ohio, the BMV (the one's that issue license plates and such) are politically appointed positions.  While I generally don't care for political appointments, in this one case it worked out in the favor of the constituents.  There were enough complaints that the "new Governor" gave the position to a different person and removed the previous person that was appointed by a previous administration.  This isn't usually done, but I guess there was on exception in this one case :-).

New registrar is doing a bang up business since now word has gotten out that they are new and they are nice.  Folks use to go to another county to do their business with a different registrar, but now stay local.  Sometimes, just sometimes, it does work out...

Edited by Brad Conley (see edit history)

As a former Civil Servant I will stick up for the unfriendly worker.  Those folks usually have a job which is narrow in scope and individuality.  They can do things within very limited authority.  If one presents all paperwork exactly as they need it to do their job, they are grateful.  They may not smile because of several reasons but if they do their job in one visit to their window, with no obvious lack of respect, I consider them to be nice, and thank them as I go on my happy way. 

We can all be sure that they have dealt with dozens of people who were either unprepared and or insisting that the worker bends the rules just this time. Situations which undoubtedly cause unnecessary stress. 

• Like 6

Like I said, I can understand it as these folks hear every sad sack story all day.  Gets old I'm sure.  I simply took my tags and went about my day.  Truth be told, I prayed for the guy. 

I have cleaned the exterior and interior.  I'm always of mind that a clean car is a happy car.   I have some gaskets on the way to begin oil leak control.   Tidy up the engine compartment. Vacuum hoses, new hard line from the fuel pump to the carb.  Somewhere along the way it was replaced with a rubber hose and in line filter.   Top radiator hose is universal and ugly.  I have a molded hose to replace it.  Until then....

17390531_10210446716715901_4130784189539        

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Smartin said:

The rubber fuel line is factory stock.

I did some homework and looked at pictures of engine compartments.  I replaced the rubber line and new filter.  The original glass set up I have seen in pictures is not present any longer.  

Thanks for any tips!!!!!

Today I replaced the valve cover gaskets.  Found a broken body to block ground and repaired.   Inside the covers was quite good.  No gunk or sludge in the heads.  Not quite as easy as the 264 in the 54 but did not take long.

Found on the muffler.  Should bring back some memories for some

WP_20170322_002_zps2m1k2p4b.jpg  

WP_20170322_004_zpssmrvdnsi.jpg

WP_20170322_005_zpsamnsyvvz.jpg

Clean but appears to maybe have had condensation.  Oil is getting changed.  The previous owner used synthetic oil

WP_20170322_006_zps0yo0fkkb.jpg

• Like 3