what is it?

truth

wow that was fast  thanks  something i need to read about   didnt know this is how they made them or maybe it was a farmer add on  this is from an old farm w a genius farmer so i see many evidences of his creativity each time i visit it  

The tractor would start easier on gas which is more volatile, but then switch to kerosene for more power and less wear on the engine.

If you have not read about "pony motors" you might find them interesting also. The first diesel engines had such high compression that the electric starters if the day could not handle them. Catipillar, John Deere,  and many others used a gasoline pony motor to start the diesel and then disengage the pony. Interesting to watch an engine being started by a pony.

57 minutes ago, truth said:

wow that was fast  thanks  something i need to read about   didnt know this is how they made them or maybe it was a farmer add on  this is from an old farm w a genius farmer so i see many evidences of his creativity each time i visit it  

It was factory-installed.

I think the main advantage to kerosene was a lower cost than gasoline. Quite a bit of the tractor advertising I have seen from the teens and twenties stresses the fact that the tractor burns "low cost fuel".

Greg in Canada