The right car for Peking to Paris 2019 Rally?

Patrick De

4 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

I do kinda wonder how suitable my 22 cad 5 passenger coupe would go, has two easily mounted spares, places for plenty of tools and I think you could add a much bigger fuel tank without too much trouble 

If the drivetrain and suspension is good, I would register for the 2022 Peking to Paris (is every 3 years) :)

Edited by Patrick De (see edit history)

Hello Patrick,

In the Netherlands we have a small club of préwar Chrysler owners and in this club last year there was a 1930 Chrysler 77  for sale. Also in the UK there were two 75 roadsters for sale at that time. Unfortunately I was very ill last year and was not able to read the AACA site.

We own a 1929 Chrysler 75 roadster ourself and the engine was completely rebuild few months ago. Now the engine is mounted again and only the gearbox and some minor parts must be installed to make her roar again.

We live in the Netherlands near Roermond, so if you are in the region, please come and see

Best regards

Pete

Hi Patrick,

Speaking of Dodges, I noticed that in the 2016 P to P Rally  a 1939 Dodge Coupe (it was white) with a 4.3L (265 Cu. in.) 120 HP 6 cyl engine really gave two 1929 Chrysler 75s a good run for their money and finished fourth.

It beat all of the Chevy coupes in that rally. I wonder why the late 30's (1937 thru 1939) Chevy coupes are so popular in this event? A Chevy six only had about 87 HP and they couldn't have gone faster than 70 mph tops,

yet a 30's Chevy coupe won 3 straight P to P rallies,  2007,  2010,  and 2013. What have they got that the other cars don't?

In 2016 I followed the race every day on google and kept track of the standings. It was really very interesting. I was rooting for the 39 Dodge. I'll never be able to do this rally, not being a millionaire, but being a car nut I am

very interested in the different cars entered (I prefer the pre WW II cars to the newer entries, they're more interesting). I wish you the best of luck with your 33 Dodge! William Burke RIdley Park, Pennsylvania.

Edited by Willliam Burke (see edit history)

It is unlikely the winning Chevs had the original poured babbit main and rod bearings and 'spit and hope' splash lubrication. Those engines will not run over 50 or 55 for long without burning out a bearing or popping one of their cast iron pistons.

There were newer versions of the same engine made up to 1962 that are much better. Top pick would be the 1954 - 62 261 cu in engine used in heavy Chevrolet trucks and Canadian Pontiacs. There was also a 235 cu in Chev car engine with modern bearings and pressure lubrication. Either of these could be hopped up to give the 265 Chrysler flathead a run for its money.

The main advantage of Chevrolet is that they are cheap and common, in every sense. There are far more reproduction parts and hop up parts for Chevs than any other car besides Ford.

Speaking of Ford I would have thought the flathead V8s would put up a good showing. In spite of their primitive suspension and brakes.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

You really know your stuff, Rusty. I noticed a lot of the so-called Chevy "Fangio" coupes had 235 cu. in engines, which, as you say, were built by Chevy from 1950, when they were mated to cars with Powerglide transmission and had 105 hp and then in 1955 got 140 Hp and were built right through 1962 with 135 or 140 HP. Some say it was the best Chevy six ever built. In the 2016 P to P rally, the leading 1939  Chevy coupe had the Chevy 261 cu. in. truck engine (or Canadian Pontiac) you mentioned, which developed 148 Hp. The other two 1939 Chevy coupes in the 2016 rally  top ten both had the 235 cu. in (3.9L) engine. So I can see why these engines in a relatively light Chevy Coupe might push 80 mph or more. THe 39 Dodge I talked about with Patrick  had a Chrysler 265 cu. in Six (4.3L) which made about 120  hp. This engine was last used in the 1953 Chrysler Windsor.

The one thing I question is if its fair to other guys in the rally with Packards, Cadillacs, Buicks, Fords, Pontiacs and even Bentleys with original engines to have to compete in time trials against the much lighter Chevy coupes with engines built in the 1950's. Shouldn't this be illegal, especially when all the cars score points and get placed in numbered positions according to the overall SPEED they running at? The speed is vastly determined by the car's weight and horse power.

A 1937 or 38 or 39 Chevy's original engine was a 216.5 cu. in. (3.5L) six with 85 HP,  which, as you say, couldn't cruise much higher than 50 or 55 MPH. I noticed there was a 1934 Packard convertible with the original 120 HP 5.2L straight eight. Even 1936 and 1937 Cadillacs' original 5.7L V8 only had 135 HP,  about the same as a 235 cu. in. Chevy. I'm surprised the Rally people allow this because it's not really a level playing field if your going to talk speed. That's why NASCAR has a zillion rules which ALL cars must follow or they will be fined and disqualified. I realize the P to P rally is more of a durability event and a human adventure rather than a race, but they do have speed trials and they do give cars  position numbers according to how fast they've been going.  The fastest car is first and the winnerI  The top ten fastest cars finish one thru ten. I just don't think its fair.

Edited by Willliam Burke (see edit history)

It would be too hard to run a race with a completely stock, original car with no modifications. And, how can you penalize someone for preparing too well?  There should be rules in place to protect the spirit of the thing. Too powerful engines, and too high speeds are not good for anyone.  But it is hard to see how to prevent it.

• 2 weeks later...

To tell you the truth, Rusty, I think that dropping a 1950's Chevy six into a late 1930's Chevy coupe is indeed "preparing too well" for this race. I don't think it should be allowed. As  you say, Chevy's are common, and their parts are plentiful and cheap. Do you think it's fair for a million dollar 1920's or 1930's Bentley with an original engine to be beat by a 37 or 38 or 39 Chevy coupe that is super light and has 1950's  horse power? I don't think it is.

• 6 months later...

Patrick

I competed in the 2016 Peking to Paris event as navigator in a 1936 Bentley boat tail, a car not too different to that you propose. I spent 36 days contemplating my mortality, as the car had no rollover protection, and lap belts (which in my view are of dubious protection in an open car). My navel, it seemed to me, was at equal height to the highest substantial part of the car, the cylinder head, so my head would have been called into play in the event of an inversion. Fortunately, this did not happen

My advice to you is to install proper rollover protection, and proper competition seats with six point harnesses. The organisers do not insist on rollover protection in cars of your proposed entry class, which in my view is inappropriate. You should take note that the winner of your class in 2016, Bruce Washington of New Zealand, has a substantial triangulated roll bar installed in his open Chrysler 

I am entered in the 2019 event. My choice? A 1974 Peugeot 504 sedan, the favourite of the original organiser of the event. It goes without saying that the car has appropriate safety gear, but note that the 0rganisers do not allow safety helmets or race suits

I hope you are advanced in your preparation, as time is getting short......

Regards

John Young

From your original requirements I would go with the newest car available, lots happened from 1929 to 1935. 

1935 Ford Roadster, V8, all steel body, and pretty much bulletproof.  By far the easiest car to get ready, pretty sure you can buy a crate flathead for it and bolt it in, easy to get any parts, easy to drive.

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/ford/169023-1935-ford-deluxe-roadster-with-rumble-seat-beautiful-condition.html

Here is one for sale 45k

1935 Ford DELUXE ROADSTER

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)