1955 a/c from 56

Upon furder consideration, this prolley needs to move to the modified spot. Can you help with that Mr

Earl? Started removing a/c parys from body hulk recently hauled from a galaxy farr,farr h-away! Took pix of both 55&56 firewalls to begin feasibility study for transplant implimentation. I think its gonna need some anti- rejection meds (boy, wish I had those during my adolescents), oh, sorry, off topic. Anywho, it looks like easy bolt-on chances  are kinda slim. Even though it looks kinda close,( know more when warm enuff to hold up agin the firewall of the light green 55 Cent photoed (toad?). If anyone has already suffered this attempt, please sing out (old Navy talk)! Im curious, but really impatient, so give me a shout out if this is familiar territory! My old forehead is plenty flat already from trying to damage brick walls! Wouldnt even start on that original mammoth 55 system, but the 56 seems a little less archaic and more compact. Took some pix. Crossing fingers... Greg AMS3 Whiting field, Milton Fla. T28B's back in the day!

20170315_180358.thumb.jpg.63e3a38757636ced8987aaec6210c93b.jpg20170315_180313_001.thumb.jpg.52d95e6377b1e7156aa4139dc5d1fbf3.jpg20170315_180301_001.thumb.jpg.f0b4329966d9220a1d17532ec9c62d06.jpg

Edited by Guest
Dim bulb (see edit history)

Greg, be sure and get that dash ventilator valve as it is unique to the 56 system. It is not shown in any of the illustrations that I have seen as being different than earlier ones. Only in the parts book numbers does is show that it is different. But you probably already knew that. And be vewy vewy careful when pulling it out that the delicate little spwings don't bweak.

Boy you do like a challenge don't ya!!!

20170315_180313_001.jpg.e2997539d27e0f829aadb9337f338d20.jpgIMG_3750.JPGIMG_3749.JPGIMG_3751.JPG

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Greg, be sure and get that dash ventilator valve as it is unique to the 56 system. It is not shown in any of the illustrations that I have seen as being different than earlier ones. Only in the parts book numbers does is show that it is different. But you probably already knew that. And be vewy vewy careful when pulling it out that the delicate little spwings don't bweak.

Boy you do like a challenge don't ya!!!

20170315_180313_001.jpg.e2997539d27e0f829aadb9337f338d20.jpgIMG_3750.JPGIMG_3749.JPGIMG_3751.JPG

I did look closely at that and thought it very fragile looking. Thanks for the heads up on it! My thought is to carefully cut around that imprint on the firewall to remove the attatchment panel for transplant to the 55 with my wirefeed sewing machine. I havent had a chance to venture under the dash yet. Its cold outide & fuggly under there from being a critter hotel. Gonna take out the 6 way front seat first. Man, never knew how loaded with xtra trim and options these Roadies were/are!

Me thinks when you get under the dash the "archaic" 55 system will start looking better and better. The 56 center vent through the dash top is a simple bolt in attachment but all the dual purpose heater/ac duct work and hose routings looks like a map of Georgia. And good luck with fitment of the two 56 side vents into the curvature of the 55's. 

• Like 1

You may be right-on, right-on with those thoughts! My idea was to try and get a/c a simpler/cheaper way. Sometimes the saying,"it seemed like a good idea at the time" applies! I'll continue to disassemble, which will be an educational opportunity at the least. When I'm done the pile may have to go to some ambitious young or young feeling, 56 person interested in the a/c option as it was posted that it's the same for all the 56s. I might be better served exploring Vintage air or equivalent. However it gets used I'm glad to save these stock parts as someone hopefully appreciates them being made available. Sure wish I could've found a 56 Cent in the first place, but I feel lucky to have found the 55 I have for the princely sum of 1200.00 delivered! Don't think it would have been wise to pass and say," no I'm waitin' for a like priced 56 Century from California". I think when I get all the 56 improvements added, I'll like my "hybrid" just fine!

Edited by Guest
Dim bulb (see edit history)

Somebody  makes an aftermarket that routes through the trunk and that was what I had sort of planned to use in my little Special driver but don't think I will ever getaroundtoit. Was planning to use original clear plastic tubes and return vent grilles to give the original appearance. 

I don't think you would have a hard time finding someone here to take the 56 unit off your hands. I have a bunch of 55 ac rear shelf parts if needed. 

Everything pending right now, as my ignorance, (at least on this subject), abates a bit getting into removing dash and related a/c parts. I have heat and air in the attached garage, but dragging a potential mouse infestation into the garage attached to "my wife's house", would be nothin' less than suicidal! Praying to the "Sun Gods" for higher temps here so I can work at my off site, outside storage spot. Prolly take another one of those handy four pack of Bailys in the little plastic bottles, mmmm, let me at it!

11 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Mr Greg,  I would be interested in the 6 blade engine fan if you change your mind on this system.  We still need to talk soon when temps begin to warm up. Thank you Sir.  

There was no chassis with this body shell. No engine trans, rear end. The body was unbolted and the chassis went away years ago according the the son who took over after pop popped! I bought the complete body with the air cond system nearly complete, except that it would appear the AC compressor went with the engine, as did the ps pump. If you look at pix I posted you may notice the empty engine compartment, which allowed easy viewing of the AC components. I actually don't know what fan was used on this setup. I saw, I bought! These days, I've learned, if its stuff that's hard to find generally, and U find it for sale, you bid the same day as the auction, cuz if U don't, U come back and some more decisive person has had the good sense not to hesitate, so, details to follow cuz since I'm not familiar with this system yet it's hard to tell what's not there. I will post what I discover, including pix of the AC parts as removed and what's missing as I learn that. Is a six blade radiator fan what would have come on this car with AC? I have many different configurations and blade counts on Buick fans in my"stash"/hoard. If you want Six blade I have a very nice one from 56 Cadd. Bet it's the same as Buick. I'll post a pic. No, not right now! It's dark here.

Can we do that then, Mr Greg.  I want to stick with Buick, but if nothing else, if the one off the Cadillac is an exact match, we can do that.  To also answer your question, Buick switched over to a 6 blade engine fan equipped with AC for 56 to alleviate overheating problems found on 55 AC cars that had the 5 bladed engine fan.  Thanks again.

5 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Can we do that then, Mr Greg.  I want to stick with Buick, but if nothing else, if the one off the Cadillac is an exact match, we can do that.  To also answer your question, Buick switched over to a 6 blade engine fan equipped with AC for 56 to alleviate overheating problems found on 55 AC cars that had the 5 bladed engine fan.  Thanks again.

Sorry to report, this system will be offered as complete as possible when the decision to go to plan B, or C, etc is arrived at. I also need more data to conclude this fan is interchangable from the Caddy to Bewack!

1 minute ago, Fr. Buick said:

I recall seeing in the master parts numbers book from 1954 that there was a 5 blade for AC cars, and  6 blade for extreme weather duty.  My 6 blade came off a 54 Special parts car in Arizona with factory ac.

Thanx 4 the update with that info!