Barney Eaton

Hood and trunk struts

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I had a call from a Reatta owner in Colorado that is having trouble getting hood struts, he has purchased two pairs and they are too long closed.....the #5830 by Arm Strong

The parts place he is dealing with claims that is the correct one.

I checked Ronnies site and got the Delco part numbers there......

Does anyone else have input on brand and part number of struts that work?

I am going to give this guy the Delco numbers but I am not sure he has internet access.   I just thought it might be nice to have a list of brands and -part numbers that work.

NOTE....#5830 is the number given to me but in a later conversation the Colorado guy said the number was #4830

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

I am not sure he has internet access

Every Public library has Internet access, free of charge.

Some people are so afraid of computers, they would not use them if the government gave them one.......

I think I am getting to the bottom of this story/problem...he had a Buick dealer install new ones.....and they did not work (hood did not shut as it did before)

He got some from a auto parts store and same problem.

It appears the dealership installed the bracket upside down & the struts upside down.

If he calls me back when everything is installed correctly I will post the rest of the story

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The reason he thinks they are too long is probably because he is installing them incorrectly: Hood Strut Replacement Instructions

27 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

It appears the dealership installed the bracket upside down & the struts upside down.

"PUT THE TOOLS DOWN, AND SLOWLY BACK AWAY FROM THE REATTA- THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE"!! :angry:

28 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Some people are so afraid of computers, they would not use them if the government gave them one.......

AND THIS PERSON OWNS A REATTA?

1 person likes this

No names but this guy is a classic......one Saturday he call 4 time trying to get one thing done.

If he was a salesman I would have hung up long ago.......but now I feel sorry for him as he just cannot seem to do anything correct.

He lives in Denver.....maybe some of you have talked with him.

Ronnie-

Would you please consider featuring these in the Reatta Store- to have more choice and save Folks a little money?

I cross referenced them from the other site.

HOOD STRUT      TRUNK STRUT

Thank you.

2 people like this

As soon as they have more than one of each available, I think I will order them as my hood struts tend to lack sufficient pressure in cold weather to ensure the hood stays up and the rear ones hold, but I have to lift the deck lid pretty much by hand these days.  This was on my list of spring-time to-do anyway, so the timing is excellent.

The rear (trunk) of the Reatta will not pop open even with new struts.....it was not designed to open, just pop up out of the latch, but when you open it, the struts should keep it open

Barney,

I should have been a bit more concise regarding the rear deck lid.  As I have had my Reatta since the day it left the showroom floor, I remember that it did not actually open up much beyond popping up, but I also remember that it did pop up a tad more than it presently does and that once you got it to a certain point when manually raising it, it would continue to open under the force of the struts. Presently, the rear deck basically does NOT pop up at all when the latch is release (other than the small amount provided by the latch spring) and it won't continue to lift the lid regardless of how far I manually lift it.  Both front and rear lift struts are factory original so I am actually surprised that they have worked as long as they have.  The hood lift struts were working fine until a few months ago when on a cold day when I had the hood open, it started to close on its own.  It is time for the new lift struts.

1 person likes this

Here is your problem.........see the wire across the latch opening......that is a spring that kick the lid up......yours is out of adjustment or broken.

trunklatch back.jpg

On 3/17/2017 at 4:33 PM, Barney Eaton said:

Here is your problem.........see the wire across the latch opening......that is a spring that kick the lid up......yours is out of adjustment or broken.

trunklatch back.jpg

Barney,

I verified that the spring wire across the latch opening was still there and in the same location as your pic and it still has spring tension against it. It does kick up the deck lid, but just barely.  I will have the new lift struts for the rear tomorrow, so I suspect that will fix the issue

On 3/16/2017 at 10:00 PM, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Ronnie-

Would you please consider featuring these in the Reatta Store- to have more choice and save Folks a little money?

I cross referenced them from the other site.

HOOD STRUT      TRUNK STRUT

Thank you.

Just a note to followup on these struts.  I ordered them from Amazon, the fronts arrived today and the rear ones will be here tomorrow.  The fronts were a perfect fit and now the hood pops up a tad higher on the initial release and then once I get it up just a tad higher the struts take over and lift it the rest of the way.  Prior to replacement, the old struts could at best be called, assists when it came to lifting the hood and as I mentioned, in colder weather, they would NOT hold up the hood securely.  It is SO nice to have the hood lift on its own once again and no more worries about it closing unexpectedly.

Installation was straightforward once I pried open the catch clips that hold the strut to the mounting posts.  The new ones simply snap onto the post, so could not be easier.  

Many thanks to 89RedDarkGrey for researching these and posting the links.  Total cost for front and rear came to about what I had expected to pay for the front ones alone!

Edited by drtidmore (see edit history)
1 person likes this

On 3/16/2017 at 11:19 AM, Barney Eaton said:

I had a call from a Reatta owner in Colorado that is having trouble getting hood struts, he has purchased two pairs and they are too long closed.....the #5830 by Arm Strong

The parts place he is dealing with claims that is the correct one.

I checked Ronnies site and got the Delco part numbers there......

Does anyone else have input on brand and part number of struts that work?

I am going to give this guy the Delco numbers but I am not sure he has internet access.   I just thought it might be nice to have a list of brands and -part numbers that work.

Barney,

Don't know if it was a typo but the correct StrongArm part # for the hood is 4380, not 5380.  The lift struts that I just ordered in fact were StrongArm and as I posted, they fit perfectly.

Edited by drtidmore (see edit history)
1 person likes this

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:19 PM, Barney Eaton said:

The

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:19 PM, Barney Eaton said:

Reatta owner in Colorado

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, Barney Eaton said:

is a

5 hours ago, drtidmore said:

typo

:rolleyes::lol:

And just to confirm the rear lift struts (StrongArm 4614) fit...yes they are do!  Easier to install than the fronts as the capture clips are of a different design and easily released.  I as hoping that the new struts would result in the rear deck lid popping up a tad more like the front but alas it only pops up sufficient to release it from the latch.  I have ensured that the spring across the latch mechanism has tension and I even adjusted it to a slightly more downward position, but I believe the issue is the overall friction and weight of the deck lid is simply too much for the little spring to do much more than just ensure that latch does not re-engage.  On the positive side, when I gently lift the deck lid it immediately starts to open on its own and continues to fully open which is a vast improvement.

1 hour ago, drtidmore said:

the overall friction and weight of the deck lid is simply too much for the little spring to do much more than just ensure that latch does not re-engage

That is the OEM designed operation. My Friends' '06 Accord has two adjustable "torsion rods" that, if set to high- fully lift the lid upon unlocking. Very convenient if you're hands are full- but damaging in a strong wind.