1965 chassis color

kreed

Just got my 65 chassis ready to paint and am debating satin black vs gloss black . Was the original finish satin black ? Finding that the gloss black is twice as expensive and suspect it would be harder to repair chips. Would appreciate thoughts . Thanks 

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

I don't know what factory is, but to me satin looks best on a chassis, unless you're building a Deuce coupe or something completely custom.  Plus, as you stated, it'll be about 100 times easier to touch up, and it won't look as dirty or beat up after a few miles.  Just my 2 cents.......

My frame still had some satin black on it when I took it to the sandblaster around 1994. I had cleaned it so well the snadblster asked why I brought it there. I told him I just wanted some tooth.

They did the job and shot it on site upon completion with epoxy primer. Then they gave it a couple of coats of Valspar satin black polyurethane, That was 20+ years ago and I am as happy now as I was then. I also did the inner fender wells and other stuff. It is the best match for the factory finish I have seen.

Today I would probably use a polyurethane 2K primer, but still stay with the Valspar.

008.jpg.aee75062557d2009c423a010801772ca.jpg006.thumb.png.cfd6753d9e4c99f780512befbb0cc8bd.png011.thumb.png.e3d893fe319b2e5ce1a5308e980721f8.png

Here's a side note. See those rusty rear brake drums?  I picked up a really nice pair of used drums, no rusty scale, lots of meat, really nice. I glass beaded them, red oxide primered, and satin blacked them. I went to slide them on and they were '65's. The hole was too small. Grrrrrr. Put them in a big lathe and now they have bigger holes.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Valspar polyurethane is my preference for frames and I have a couple of quarts on hand. I have never had to touch up the Riviera, though.

Valspar is not an automotive paint so you need to go to a paint store or hardware, maybe Lowes. I bought mine at a place call Hadlock's in Rochester, NY. I bought a few gallons and had them put it in quarts. I sold most of the quarts to car guys whom liked my job. I was don't a lot of flea markets and home garage walk ins back them. At the time a quart was only $6-8 when I bought a gallon.

I found my VINs.  Can tell you right where to look

drivers side about even with the area the brake cable goes they the frame.     And drivers side near the rear most exhaust hanger.   Bother are on the top of the frame and can be seen with a mirror

19 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Is it customary to sand a frame that smooth?  We always left them a bit rough (i.e. whatever the blasting left you with) so the finish had more bite...

Not sure if it is customary or not  but decided to go the extra mile and hope that it "sticks"  . Lots of sore  finger tips sanding in and around all the mounts!    Undoubtedly areas that will never be seen by anyone but ... I would know if they are not done right - call me crazy . 

14 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Definitely satin. Semi gloss is ok as long as it's more on the lower gloss side.  Same as you would use for engine bay black. 

Curious Ken.  Did you find the hidden VINs stamped on frame?

Thanks Jason  - decided to go with satin black  after all the advice above and here locally. Re: hidden VINs on frame , didn't know there was such a thing but will definitely look  now.  

Appreciate  everyone's help and suggestions . 

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed that looks spectacular Ken. Of course now we expect that from everyhting you do!

I have found while painting a frame should be simple, there seems to be an infinite number of angles and hiding places that are hard to see and get adequate paint coverage on.

Does anyone know for sure, I'm thinking the original frames were dipped instead of sprayed. Seems like I recall seeing runs and pooling paint consistent with the dipping process used on many smaller parts, but then again the interior of frame should have same coverage and I don't think it did?

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)