AACA forum email legit or phishing scam?

I received an email that appears to be from the AACA today that seems odd to me. The subject of the email is: "Your account has been locked for security reasons".  Obviously my account isn't locked. Is this a legitimate email sent from the AACA forum or a scam?

Below is the body of the email. I have excluded a link the email contained that directs me to a website to change my password

Hi Ronnie,

We have detected 3 failed log in attempts to your account from Sweden.

If this wasn't you, someone else may be trying to access your account. These log in attempts were unsuccessful and we have blocked the IP address from further attempts so no action is required. You may however want to change your password for greater security, especially if you use the same password on other websites.

If this was you, you can safely ignore this email and you will be able to sign in again at 03/15/2017 04:05  PM.

Change password: DELETED LINK TO CHANGE PASSWORD

-----

Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums, 501 W. Governor Rd P.O. Box 417, Hershey, Pennsylvania, 17033

1 hour ago, vwlfan said:

Hi Ronnie,

It would be difficult to determine if your email was suspect from just the pasted body text of the email.

Can you post a copy of the message header for that email?  The message heard has the information related to how the email was routed and such. - Bob

I guess I'm a little paranoid right now but I don't think I want to publicly post all the detailed information about the transmission of my emails here on the forum. I will pass it on to a forum administrator in private if requested.

Without more information, I can only guess. It sounds like it is possible that a potential fraudster attempted to hack your account from Sweden. It is also possible that one of the many other users with "Ronnie" in their user name accidentally incorrectly entered their user name as "Ronnie" and failed 3 log in attempts and got their IP address temporarily locked out. I think the first lock out is for 15 minutes.

I would not click on the link in the email. Even if I thought I received a legitimate forum system generated email, I would go to the forum directly instead of clicking on an emailed link. I would not be too concerned based on the one email. If you were to receive an additional email such as this, then please alert the webmaster or a moderator.   

Thanks Matt. You are probably right. I didn't click on the link and I didn't post it so anyone else could. I posted about the email here to see if anyone else was getting similar emails but it seems from the responses that I'm the only one. Maybe it is a legit AACA email that I got because the system detected a problem with someone trying to sign in to my account. I just don't want to get locked out of my account permanently.

• 1 month later...
Guest eldoraman

Phishers do so by sending e-mails that are designed to collect an individual's sensitive information. To make phishing messages look like they are genuinely from a well-known company, they include company logos and other identifying information taken directly from real company's website. The victim receives an e-mail that appears to have been sent by a known contact or organization. The fake email conveniently includes a link you can click on to resolve the problem which you're told you need to do. These e-mails are clever fake and the information you provide goes straight to the crooks behind the scam. Because these e-mails look like from legitimate companies and victim trust them and enter their personal information.

• 2 years later...