Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Black River

My 401 cosmetic rehab

16 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd share a few pics of the before and after of the engine on my '63.  When I bought the car, this was definitely the most lacking part of it.  I added a Richie's Dragmaster valley pan, which I polished (a beautiful piece, but just pay the extra $40 for polishing, it takes HOURS to do it correctly), some Offenhauser valve covers, a Champion aluminum radiator, Derale fan, batwing aircleaner which I pinstriped (lots of modifying and customizing to get it to fit under the hood), then I removed most the components and painted and detailed just about everything.  I replaced all the engine bolts with stainless allen bolts or studs with stainless cap screws.  I also rerouted most the wiring and painted the firewalls.  Still a little bit more to do, but the engine itself I'm happy with......

NAILHEAD1.png

NAILHEAD.png

nailhead12.png

nailhead14.png

4 people like this

Looks very nice!  I like those valve covers.

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, PWB said:

Outstanding. Need a washer jug? CARS

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cart/windshield-washer-reservoir-1963-70-riv-p-773.html

Thanks fellas, I don't know why it looks so "orange" in the pics, I think the flash on the phone has something to do with it.  I got the paint matched to the car's red stripes.  As far as the washer jug goes, mine was fine, I just don't think I'll be driving it in rain or other weather, so I removed it to clean it up over on that side of the engine compartment.  I may fab a polished aluminum one to match the rest of the aluminum stuff, though.  I left everything else in place so I can always go back.  Thank you, again, though.

Edited by Black River (see edit history)

Looks good, I like the `55 Olds air cleaner. A suggestion ,if you haven`t already, 

use Loctite on stainless fasteners, they have a way of loosening off. 

Thank you guys, I like the batwing Caddy/Olds myself.  It was not easy to get it to fit, and had to modify a lot of things to get it under the hood, and I can explain if anyone cares to listen haha.  I wasn't going to stop until I got it under the hood and off the carb, I just feel like it fits the style of my car.....And thanks for the tip on the Loctite, it is very useful.  I used to rig boats for a living, and we used blue on everything unless it was stainless on stainless, then we used anti-seize otherwise you'd gall the threads and it'd never come apart without breaking the bolt.

Looks great! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you give for the radiator? With the warmer weather coming in shortly I am thinking about swapping out to an aluminum. Great job under the hood! 

59 minutes ago, TimFloyd said:

Looks great! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you give for the radiator? With the warmer weather coming in shortly I am thinking about swapping out to an aluminum. Great job under the hood! 

You can get them from jegs. They start at $175 and go up to $250 I think for one rated for 1000 HP, and that's what I went with. Fit and look fantastic!

I'm really interested in what it took to get the aircleaner to fit. I was considering one for my 64. I figured it would be a tight fit.

Was there any issues with the valley pan fitting under the intake? It's a perfect match for the Offy valve covers. I like dragmaster valve covers, but I wish they were available without the letting on the sides. I also like the large dragmaster viper scoop, that would be a interesting sight when you popped the hood.

Sorry fellas, was at home last night and I don't have a computer, and posting from my phone sucks.  Agreed on the Richie's valve covers, I think they're cool, but I didn't like the script.  The Offenhausers have always been my favorites on the Nailhead, though.  Burt (aka Richie) is a super cool and super friendly guy to talk to.  His valley pan fit like a glove, no mods needed, but as I stated, just pay him to have it polished.  That was 4 days after work of sanding and buffing for me......As for the air cleaner.....The air cleaner originally comes with a standard base, which makes it stick up above the fenders, so I first had to get a 2.5" drop base for it, which then hit the fuel line. I got a 90 degree banjo fuel fitting for that, then it hit the electric choke on the Edelbrock carb, so I cut and welded a pie shaped section out of the drop base, then it hit the linkage. So, finally, I took a 1.5" carb/air cleaner spacer and removed about .8" out of that, and with two aircleaner/carb gaskets, it all fits now. Lots of little headaches, and I came thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to cutting the hood support for clearance, but got it all to fit after a few days of messing around. I love the batwing air cleaners, and I wasn't going to give up until it fit. Depending on what carb you've got, it may be different.  If you do the math, you can probably cut out a couple of my steps, but you'll at least need a drop base and do some cutting or precise denting to get around carb parts.  On my Caddy, I just had to add a .75" carb spacer for clearance on the A/C compressor and that was it.

cadriv6.png

12 hours ago, TimFloyd said:

Here's a link to the radiators from Jegs.  They fit great, the only thing I needed was to change trans cooler fittings. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsPageCmd?N=1010123&Tab=SKU&enginetype=4294798889&make=4294829225&model=4294829199&submodel=4294829828&year=4294829683&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1

Thanks for the tip about the air cleaner. Obrien Truckers has a really nice cast aluminum one, with a finned cover I really like. Awesome valve covers to match it. A little out of my price range at the moment, but hopefully someday in the future.

My engine is currently some variation of the buick green color, but I'd like to change it up and either go Chrysler Industrial Red (intense cherry red) or 60's AMC teal. Metallic teal, with lots of polished aluminum in a black engine bay would be striking. The AMC teal is like a custom metallic version of the buick green. The metallic blue of the 70's was also very exotic looking.

That's cool that he's making them like that now.  His prices can't be beat, and he's a really cool guy.  The valley pan was top notch quality that I got from him.