What type of plastic is used on the dash and console?

jsgun

Does anyone know what type of plastic was used on the dash, console, and armrest? ABS? Polystyrene? Some proprietary plastic that is known to cause cancer? On my 64, I have several cracks on the arm rest, and some on the dash and console. I'm trying to glue them, and I also want to make some modifications. I'm trying to determine what type of glue to use, and what kind of plastic to use to repair some missing parts. Any ideas?

Never had a 1st gen or reason to look specifically at the pieces you are referring to but will guess it was probably an ABS plastic. That was my best guess for what was used in some similar areas on the 66/67 interior such as the shifting console.

It's got to be some type of rigid early 60's ABS plastic. It's tough, has virtually no memory, can be brittle but responds to repair well. To fix a few holes in my console, I found "un-sell-abe"/free small chunks of plastic scattered on the floor from a parted out Riv at CTC Autoranch and used them. To repair I found the best way is: 1. Clean the damaged areas like crazy then abrade the surface for traction 2. Clamp in position to mend gaps/cracks. 3. Use fine grade fiberglass cloth/resin to patch from the reverse side. So, no real glue, rather I used the rising/fiber to bond the pieces.  4. In places (like the "ears" of the console) where there is missing material or lots of stress, reinforce with a thin piece of aluminum or galvanized tin. 5. Remove clamps and apply another layer of fiber/resin. 6. Use JB weld to fill cracks and gaps still visible on the outside facing surface then sand. 6. Surprisingly, I had better luck with conventional primers and paints versus the SEM products I thought would work. Not sure why, but the SEM took on a flat quality versus Rustoleum Satin which seems to match factory and is tough as hell. PRL