Lexington 1924

Rogerrabbit

Going to look at a restored Lexington from about 1997-1998 time frame.  It is a 5 passenger convertible and is a very upscale restoration.  The car is very rare, and probably one of the nicest cars to exist that is a Lexington, do I get rid of a 1930 Buick 64C to get the Lexington or hang onto the Buick?

Cars from the era of 1916 to around 1927 aren't as

popular today, so their prices aren't especially high.

You probably have some good bargaining power on

the Lexington.

The fact that Lexingtons aren't popular is, in my view,

an added incentive to buy it!  Take it even to a big show

such as Hershey, and you will usually have the only

Lexington on the field--getting lots of looks and chances

to talk about it from interested car fans.

Be sure to get all the spare parts the seller has.

Your Buick is a more advanced car than the Lexington--

advances such as 4-wheel brakes were coming quickly in those

years--so the Buick will have more advanced driving capabilities.

I don't think the Lexington would be a substitute for your Buick, 

so if your budget allows, and you have the ability to maintain

both cars, I would keep both.  And enjoy both! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Funny thing , Rog' , I just got off the phone and had talked a little Lex' with Mike. Seems to me Bernie Long in Bloomington, CA . has a sedan of about your vintage in inside storage. Deteriorated original , rather  solid and complete if my spotty memory still serves. Bernie's health is into advanced decline. I have not talked to him since last Summer , so I will give him a call in the next couple of days. 

Now that is the only objective offering I am capable of at this time. I hope the guys here can help you make the appropriate decision for your needs. So many variables. But you have come to the right place for a reality check. I am a cruiser , so personally, I would stick with the Bu'. More likely to be capable of sustained maintenance over the thousands of miles I would like to drive. But hey ! You are you. Give us more self analysis , and of course sustain interest here by posting pics. Perhaps the decision will be made by following your heart. And with that : A hearty welcome to the great AACA forums !   - Carl

• Like 1

If you look at Keith Marvin's  "Cars of 1923" , The Lexington with an OHV six was one of the hot performers of that year, together with the 4 cylinder F-head Essex, and the first Chrysler 6 with 7 main bearings and Rickardo high compression, high efficiency combustion chambers,  There is something unusual about the rocker gear, but it must be 45 years since I saw the car that was in Melbourne.

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Zeke, the heading of his topic says it's a 1924 Lexington.

Thanks John, but I spoke with Rogerrabbit several months ago about a 1922 Lexington . I considered the possibility that he may be writing about that particular car and got the year of manufacturing wrong. I'm not sure I understand your post as I was well aware of the topic. 

• Like 1

No, I am talking about a 24 Lexington, Zeke, but I am well aware of the one you are talking about.  I own a 1917 and 1919 Lexington already, one runs, one doesn't but am working on it.  I basically am collecting Lexington's because I live 30 minutes from where they had been built.  

I'm torn because the 64C Buick is a good running driving original and maybe I should keep it and just by the 24.  I'm not sure the one with the most toys wins though, it depends how patient the wife is................

3 hours ago, Rogerrabbit said:

...it depends how patient the wife is.

You mean to say you didn't include the standard

antique-car clause in your wedding's nuptial vows?!

"Do you take this man, with his current and future antique cars, 

to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

You mean to say you didn't include the standard

antique-car clause in your wedding's nuptial vows?!

"Do you take this man, with his current and future antique cars, 

to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

Well, I was so busy getting married I forgot that part :)  28 years later, she lets me have some fun........................

On 3/14/2017 at 7:35 PM, C Carl said:

Funny thing , Rog' , I just got off the phone and had talked a little Lex' with Mike. Seems to me Bernie Long in Bloomington, CA . has a sedan of about your vintage in inside storage. Deteriorated original , rather  solid and complete if my spotty memory still serves. Bernie's health is into advanced decline. I have not talked to him since last Summer , so I will give him a call in the next couple of days. 

Now that is the only objective offering I am capable of at this time. I hope the guys here can help you make the appropriate decision for your needs. So many variables. But you have come to the right place for a reality check. I am a cruiser , so personally, I would stick with the Bu'. More likely to be capable of sustained maintenance over the thousands of miles I would like to drive. But hey ! You are you. Give us more self analysis , and of course sustain interest here by posting pics. Perhaps the decision will be made by following your heart. And with that : A hearty welcome to the great AACA forums !   - Carl

CCarl, 

could you get in touch with him, I would like to speak to him if I could.

Sure. I am overdue for a chat with him. There is a '19 Cadillac issue he and I need to talk about also. As I mentioned , Bernie is in precarious health , so.................. : and speaking of health , with a somewhat age/illness induced addled mind , I must admit to a strange symptom I suffer from. I have a data entry/storage hardware glitch in the Swiss cheese that tries to pass for what is left of a once facil mind. This glitch often confuses words beginning with the same letter , containing the same number of syllables. As a Bernie example , for some time I would say "Burlington" rather than "Bloomington" for Bernie's home town. That being said , I may be confusing "Lexington" with "Lafayette". I do have a potential reality check in hand right now as I thumb tap this somewhat embarrassing true confessions moment. In the somewhat addled mind of my iPad mini , resides a pic of the suspect subject car ! I tried to post yesterday, but got "locked-up". I can see , but cannot post pics from that particular "cloud gallery". I will have to go to the Apple Store next week to fix this. The good news is that the grille/radiator shell is distinctive. Could you post a pic of a 1924 Lex to compare ? 

Perhaps , speaking of soundness , (or lack thereof) , of mind and body , this is an appropriate segue point. I received the best news possible under the circumstances from my cardiologist yesterday. Turns out that my twice attacked tickker has actually not deteriorated in any significant way over the last year and a half ! What a relief that is ! I ended up in the E.R. two months ago with what seemed to a life jeopardizing cardiac event. After 3 or 4 months of increasing symptoms, the end suddenly appeared to be at hand. I was taken off one of my meds , and now feel about 80 - 90% as well as I did last Winter ! What a relief ! This might be a sort of second cousin to the legendary Moron (who banged his head against the wall because it felt better when he stopped) , but I'll take good news wherever and whenever I can find it these days. As I know a good number of you will have had the experience of "Beating  the Reaper" , I know you recognize the sweetness of such victory. Hopefully I can retrieve my '27 Cad from 'Vegas soon for the much anticipated 2000 - 3000 mile return leg of my final major earthly road adventure ! 

I deeply hope all of you , my wonderful fellow ancient car addicts , are also receiving good news on several fronts.   - Carl

• 1 month later...
Guest 1923WillysKnight

Hi Roger ! Have you been able to obtain the 1924 Lexington yet or are you still deciding what to do ???  KEEP the Buick AND buy the '24 Lexington if you can !  Give us an update or call me with an update ???           Thanks !           Ken / 1923 Willys Knight  

An update from me , Roger : I did immediately call Bernie. Left a message. Maybe 3  ( ! )  weeks later , he returned my call. An imterruption on his end , and he said he would call back. I think it is time for me to call again. Apple did get me access to my pics. So : is the blue sedan next to the '29 Cad a Lex' ? Here , by way of introduction to Bernie , are a few thousand words worth of pics.  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, C Carl said:

An update from me , Roger : I did immediately call Bernie. Left a message. Maybe 3  ( ! )  weeks later , he returned my call. An imterruption on his end , and he said he would call back. I think it is time for me to call again. Apple did get me access to my pics. So : is the blue sedan next to the '29 Cad a Lex' ? Here , by way of introduction to Bernie , are a few thousand words worth of pics.  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Where is this place?  Are they selling anything? Can it be visited?