Restoration/Rebuild of '36 Packard Super Eight

Guest 36roadsterdave

Guest 36roadsterdave

Good afternoon, Can any members recommend a quality restoration/rebuild shop (1936 Super Eight Roadster, in the Milwaukee/Chicago area)? However, I can ship the car to other locations from the Midwest. I wanted to plan on an engine rebuild as well as the complete driveline and a few other body items. Many thanks in advance!!!

HI Dave , I am 100% sure that posting pics would serve at least two purposes here. One would certainly help determine what the necessity would be to take care of "a few other body items". The other , of course , is to satisfy the hunger your fellow forum friends have for pics. It makes things vastly more interesting and real. I have just read all you previous discussions from 3 1/2 and 6 1/2 years ago. What was the resolution of those issues ? I am in the more conservative school of thought regarding velocities of expensive , old , rare , ill-handling , poor braking , vehicles with extremely high drag coefficients , trying to move metal , rubber and air with extremely high manifold pressure/BMEP in order to satisfy the cruel imposition of physics. I have said it before , I will say it here , and I expect I will yet again remind my precious AACA friends : POWER REQUIREMENT GOES UP AS THE CUBE OF THE SPEED (!!!) , and FORCE EQUALS MASS TIMES ACCELERATION. As a cautionary corollary, force also equals mass times negative acceleration , as in hitting an object which may not yield much at time of impact. 

I highly doubt you will have to stray far from the huge population center you live in. But again , I am sure more effective advice can be given to you if we know your starting point with the current project , and what the target level of "restoration/rebuild" you are seeking. There is a world class shop not too far from you which has done a couple small jobs for me. The work could not have possibly been of a higher quality , fast turnaround time , very reasonably priced considering the quality and prompt service. That is Classic and Exotic Services in Troy , MI. I have no idea what their time frame would be in your case , but might be worth a call. I am sure other guys will have had excellent results from shops even closer to you. I am on the West Coast , but I sure don't think you will need to contact the guys I know out here. Also they are all EXTREMELY busy these days in the booming high end market. 

Very best wishes to you , Dave. I hope you are on the road again soon ! Oh , yeah , again : Pics , please ?  - Carl

Edited by C Carl
Spelling , redundancy (see edit history)

I would send it to Fawcett Motor Carriage since 1954 in Whitby Ontario 905-668-4446. Ron was big into Pierces and Peter is carrying on. They do work from the ground up or small jobs. Need a fender and can not find one Peter will make it. They repaired a 1928 Packard roadster for a CCCA member who's car rolled over and landed up side down with the open trailer on top still strapped to it. You would never know it today when you see it on the show field with a ribbon on it. Yes they do engine, transmission and all mechanical work also. The good news is you get a 37% US dollar exchange difference. The bad news is they are busy.     .