Dad's '58 Corvette

victorialynn2

So I emailed Jay Leno's agent this email last night along with the attached picture and surprisingly he forwarded it to a producer of Jay Leno's garage. I recieved a response that they will check!

I have always wondered if Jay bought dad's Vette. I know it's a long shot though. This is my all time favorite car. I used to drive it to parades in High School and always wondered what happened to it. 

"Hello, I am Ed ******'s daughter. I know from my father's friends that he has met Jay at several car shows like Daytona and others. My father now has Alzheimer's. He sold a 1958 Corvette around 1983 to someone in CA and it looks just like the one Jay has. I have attached a picture of the one he had.

I have been (unexpectantly) liquidating my father's car collection to pay for his care. I was just wondering if there was any way to find out if Jay bought his '58 from Ed ****** who was in NH at that time. 

I realize I may never hear back, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try to find out. I loved that car. It was my father's and my favorite. It would be really neat to find out where it is now, and even neater if it was indeed Jay's car.

Thank you for any info you might be able to send. ~Victoria "

image.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks John. I appreciate the help and it looks like I am in touch with the right person based on your PM.

This car is one of the few things I can talk to dad about and he remembers. There was a special bond between he, I and this car. We have many memories with this car and he even put my name on the original purchase receipt. The car is a symbol of better times with him and I have been preoccupied with wondering what ever happened to it. 

• Like 1

I drove a 58 Corvette while in college that I could buy much cheaper than older or newer ones. This was because the car magazines heaped abuse on GM for their pimp car. The fake louvers on the hood along with the raised ribs on the deck lid didn't fly with the car people. Many 58's were chopped up for drag or sports car racing so now the remaining ones bring a premium price. Mine was a good car after I traded the two four barrel set up for a single carb. It came with a small rope hoist that had a GM number on it and attached to the garage ceiling so you could lift the top and drive out from under it.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 10:11 PM, victorialynn2 said:

We loved all the chrome and didn't care what others thought. 

Glad you enjoyed yours too. 

I agree Vicki. It's a 1958, everything GM built was slathered in chrome that year. I remember a quote from a Gm exec at the time who said " Harley Earl would wear chrome on his clothes if he could!"

• Like 1

I was told the '58 on "That 70's Show" was his, but I've seen pics of his '58 recently and it doesn't look the same. I think I was given incorrect info so there is really no chance it's the same car. 

I can't find any info on whose car was in that show. Any ideas?

They originally made about 2000 cars in the grey blue metallic color like my dads. I have no idea how many are still on the road but I'm sure it's a needle in the haystack. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Did Jay Leno or his secretary get back to you yet with a definitive answer?

What differences did you see between his current Corvette

and your family's?

She emailed a couple times but haven't found out yet. 

Primarily his is a different color blue. He actually has a '63 split window like my father had in the right color but I didn't mention that. 

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Did Jay Leno or his secretary get back to you yet with a definitive answer?

What differences did you see between his current Corvette

and your family's?

I just heard back and he does not have dad's car. I knew it was a long shot but at least I tried!

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

I was wondering if there was a Corvette Registry, then I found this. Did you look here? Do you have old records with the VIN?

http://www.c1registry.com/index.php

To use this link I think you will need to select the year, 1958, and then you must click on the "Show Registry" button before the list will be displayed.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

I was wondering if there was a Corvette Registry, then I found this. Did you look here? Do you have old records with the VIN?

http://www.c1registry.com/index.php

To use this link I think you will need to select the year, 1958, and then you must click on the "Show Registry" button before the list will be displayed.

7.60% registered

VIN v Job Nr. Owner Engine Exterior Interior Cove
Color
City State Country Status Export
Car
Pic. For
Sale
      J58S100002 Unknown Dennis Young FI 250hp Signet Red Red Snowcrest White Poplar Bluff Missouri fill1.jpg
US.gif
Restored No camera.gif  
      J58S100006 Unknown N/ A 1x4 230hp Signet Red Red Snowcrest White Long Island New York fill0.jpg
US.gif
Restored No camera.gif  
      J58S100013 Unknown Private Party FI 290hp Silver Blue Other Color Silver Unknown Arizona fill1.jpg
US.gif
Top Flight No camera.gif  
      J58S100014 Unknown Unknown 1x4 230hp Signet Red Charcoal Snowcrest White Unknown Unknown Unknown Restored No camera.gif  
      J58S100018 Unknown Unknown 1x4 230hp Signet Red Red Snowcrest White Unknown Unknown Unknown Unknown No camera.gif  
      J58S100037 Unknown Unknown 1x4 230hp Silver Blue Unknown Unknown Unknown Unknown Unknown Unknown No    
      J58S100047 Unknown James Wood 1x4 230hp Panama Yellow Charcoal Other Color Junction City Ohio fill1.jpg
US.gif
Restored No    
      J58S100056 Unknown Unknown 1x4 230hp Signet Red Red Snowcrest White Unknown Unknown Unknown Unknown No camera.gif  

Thank you! Yes I have the Vin. I will check this out!

From the number of Vettes on the market,  seems many have changed hands several times and in the not so distant past.  I only had mine a little over a year when it got fire damaged and I sold it.  The guy I bought it from had it about 10 years i was told.  Before that it was in a collection for 25.   Mine went from NV to WA to NY then I sold it to FL.  so many really get travelled around.  Probably more miles in transport than on the road in the last 10 years. 

• Like 1