2 questions 65 riv

bc65riv

Went on a rod run last year ----very slow going, hot weather and brakes started to fade. I have a dual master installed. Could it be getting too hot and what is the cure?

also looking for 4 note horns or best replacement with similar sound

frank

If you are a member of the ROA, check out the vendors for the 4 note horns.  The underside of the hood should be pre-drilled for this option so it is a straightforward installation.  Cadillac offered additional horns but the ones I have seen are different in appearance.  Not sure if the sound is similar or not. 

I think we'd need to know some additional details about your current brake set up to help with the fade problem. Is your system stock, modified, partially modified? In my experience, fade is usually brought on by heat from excessive use (race track conditions, pulling a trailer, extended downhill driving) rather than the "slow going" you refer to. I interpret "slow going" as traffic in hot weather which isn't ideal but shouldn't create enough heat to overtax/fade a healthy braking system. Give us some more details. PRL

Low grade brake fluid will tend to "boil" under pressure. Make sure that you're using at least a Dot 4 brake fluid.  Dot 3 and 4 are compatible but Dot 5 is for newer systems.  If your car has the original fluid in it, it's probably time to flush and refill.  How many miles on the brake drums.  Perhaps you've gone beyond the maximum allowable limits for "meat" on the steel liner in the aluminum drum.

9 hours ago, bc65riv said:

Went on a rod run last year ----very slow going, hot weather and brakes started to fade. I have a dual master installed. Could it be getting too hot and what is the cure?

also looking for 4 note horns or best replacement with similar sound

frank

Does it feel like the brakes are dragging after driving for awhile? If so, you could be overheating the linings and causing them to fade. Check the free play between the brake pushrod and the piston in the master you installed. If there is not enough freeplay the piston will not fully release the pressure in the hydraulic system and can cause the brakes to drag.

Tom Mooney

13 hours ago, RivNut said:

Dot 5 is for newer systems

DOT 5 is silicone-based fluid and is NOT compatible with DOT 3 or 4.  Also, DOT 5 is not recommended for use in ABS brake systems, as it is susceptible to foaming.

If you look in your chassis manual, you'll find a maximum safe diameter for your drums.  While replacements that aren't in the same condition may be hard to find do, your drums can have new stellar liners inserted.  Check the classifieds in the Riview for the name of the service which does this.

Ed