Karr Rubber Manufacturing - California.

dep5

To Auto electrician CHIC.  It sound like you are close to El Segundo.  Do you know the children?  If they feel comfortable enough to confide in you his fate than what is your opinion of when this supposedly happened.  Craig had informed me of his plans after he passed.  It was very complicated and misguided.  I would not try to dissuade him.  I for one can vouch for Jose and later his wife working for Karr Rubber for decades though on and off during that time.  Long time employees to say the least.  I will throw out a wild card for all the Karr Rubber Manufacturing concerned and curious.  If the Equipment went to Tennessee did it go to Corky Coker?  I know he knew Craig.  He has a reputation on moving on ANYTHING old that interests him.  He can afford it and he deals in rubber.  Maybe mike6024 can track down that lead!

Thanks to help from new member TVC15 , yesterday, I was able to speak with Tim Brown of Ames Rubber Manufacturing. He confirmed that Ames did buy all of Karr's equipment, but that the dies and molds had been removed before the sale.     Tim said, Ames already makes some auto rubber parts and they intend to expand that by using the equipment  from Karr to repro more antique auto parts. 

Ames has facilities in Los Angeles and southern Tennessee.                http://www.amesrubberonline.com/about.html

Stay tuned,....(pun intended).

Paul 

Guest Joseluis arteaga

Im going to be very detailed about this situation. My father (Jose Luis ) is the main person who ran karr rubber manufacturing for 25 years. Later on with the years,  my mother Rosa came along .My father considered Mr.karr as his father and mr.karr considered my father as his ONLY son although, mr.karr had  many more family members who were never a part of his life or bussisness. Mr.karr was the owner but my father was the company meaning he produced all the parts( custom rubber). My father has 25 years of experience doing extrusion but this is not his speciality, his speciality is making custome rubber parts for unique cars. My father hand makes any type of dies. Basically, the shop was closed down because of his injury and his age. My parents were both left without a job. My father is still willing to continue making these custom parts for any one that is interested. The company that bought mr karrs equipment can do extrusion but they cant do the same custom molds and custom dies my father has with his experience. My father speciality and importance is to make molds and custom auto parts if anyone is interested in the custom parts that my dad will make please contact me. My father is willing continue reproducing parts for anyone who needs them. For any informacion regarding the custom parts and molds please contact me for business only my name is joseluis arteaga and my number is 310-850-4433. Also it is very important for everyone to quit making assumptions since this will only mislead people.  

Miss Arteaga maybe some of the confusion is the fact you say your dad wants to make custom rubber products and has the molds. How can he do this without the equipment the molds work on?  Maybe you should contact the company that purchased the equipment as they seem to have an LA location and you might be able to work something out with them or sell them the molds. Just a thought. 

Guest Joseluis arteaga

Well mr, if you think my father needs a machine to make these molds you are wrong. All my father needs is a sample of the part that you need and he will make the exact part. Thank you for thought.

On 10/16/2017 at 6:38 PM, rbf said:

I had no idea how timely this discussion is.  My shop is in El Segundo.  Close to Karr Rubber.  I always take a peek while driving past to see if anyone is inside.  Craig  had disappeared and the building has been dark for a while.  I was shocked to see the equipment coming out.  Without succumbing to gossip I know that was not what Craig had planned for his business.  If someone is gone everything changes.  Suddenly.  I was always aware of the value of the dies to the hobby.  I tried to "suggest" that they at least be labeled.  You cannot tell a  man how to take care of his affairs.  My fear is that they became scrap.  Even then without the machines, the "feel" of making rubber and the determination to do that type of work how far do you go? 

There was, is, and will be a great need for rubber manufacturing.  Nobody that I found wanted to small custom runs.  If such a person exists, who and where is he? 

If you knew Mr. Karr you would know that my father made custom rubber. If you need anything you can contact me at 3107437909. My dad would love to continue making custom rubber.

Early on, say 15 years ago, we had Karr make various rubber parts for our business.  We supplied the original part then they made a mold of that original.  The mold is made of one kind of rubber then liquid rubber was poured into that mold.

Since we supply every rubber part that goes into a 34-36 Auburn , my wife did a bit of research and figured out how to pour rubber of all shapes, sizes and durometer. 

Extrusions, are a way different thing.  Karr Rubber supplied at least a dozen different extrusions. The quality was superb, and the price was liveable. 

Needless to say I follow this thread with interest.

While this is a legitimate thread and most posters have expressed real concern about Mr. Karr and his business, some have seen fit to inject an element of drama into the thread.  The drama is entertaining; however, it does nothing to solve the puzzle of the current status of Mr. Karr and his business. 

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capngrog said:

While this is a legitimate thread and most posters have expressed real concern about Mr. Karr and his business, some have seen fit to inject an element of drama into the thread.  The drama is entertaining; however, it does nothing to solve the puzzle of the current status of Mr. Karr and his business. 

Cheers,

Grog

I am with you on this Grog. As this thread grows I feel like I have been reading a mystery novel. Everytime I see that a new post is up I have to read it

Molded parts are just one aspect of Karr's operation. With a quick, rough count of my Karr catalog, I see that they made over 1200 different shape extrusions. All of which need the special machines that Ames bought.  And at present, there is no source for many of those extrusions. 

It's a shame that the extrusion dies and machinery were separated.     Hopefully that will be remedied. 

Paul

Guest Clam Estate Wagon

My daughter left several notes at Karr Rubber over the past month or so and on Monday got a phonecall from Tim Brown (of Ames Rubber Manufacturing in LA) who bought the equipment at the auction. My daughter passed on the number to me and today I spoke with Tim.

I told Tim about the weatherstripping for the tailgate of my 73 Caprice "Clam Wagon" and my dealings with Craig 5 months ago.

I told Tim Karr Rubber was the only manufacturer of that kit, how I visited the shop and put in an order on May18th or 19th. Craig still had the moulds at that time and had, according to himself, just shipped a set to a customer, his employee (Jose Louis Artaega I presume) proceeded to show me part of the kit asking if that was the right one. So five days before the shop shut down it was all there (dies and moulds).

As a footnote and to add to the mystery novel; Craigs mind was clear as day back in May. We spoke for at least half an hour about different cars, his friend in Sweden ( I am Norwegian) and other trivia in addition to my order. He seemed like a really nice knowledgeable guy with all his marbles intact. Just in a worn out body. Meeting him that day have gave me another story to tell together with all the others I have gathered through my travels around the world. And as they say "As long as someone speaks your name you are still alive".

Ok ...Back to the point of this thread...

Tim of Ames Rubber told me he keep in touch with the guy who worked for Craig ( Jose Louis again I presume) and that he would see what he could do to possibly make me a kit if I just sent him the info on my car and possibly some pictures. Its a big complex piece and Craig was charging $850. This kit need both moulds and dies for the extrusions which  make me think that Tim got at least some of the moulds together with the equipment or possibly that Jose Louis have at least some of the moulds. Well, thats what I choose to believe anyway....

Louis's son and daughter have both told us here on the Forum that he has all the dies so hopefully Jose Louis and Tim will keep on talking and make something more of this than just an equipment purchase and a dumpster full of "useless parts". Maybe even a collaboration to give Jose Lois the opportunity to keep on doing what he has been doing for the past 25 years.

Fingers crossed until I get a reply from Tim after he has spoken with Jose Lois again. If they can piece together my kit, much more must have been saved as well.

Someone else on the thread mentioned that they suggested to Craig he label his "stuff". Maybe that's part of the confusion as Tim/Ames Rubber don't know what they have as of yet.

Thank you Jose Lois Jr and JasmineJL

Edited by Clam Estate Wagon (see edit history)

Wow, what a fascinating thread, mystery and suspense to rival some of the good novels that we'd be reading, if we weren't so hung up on car stuff.

In my professional life, I hated Powerpoint (show me a screen, which is a copy of the handout of that screen you gave me, then read to me what's on both), but bullet points do serve a purpose.

..a going business, making extrusions and molds (and, as mentioned, two VERY different things)

..problems, so business ends

..auction, so molds go one way (to poster in this thread, did he buy them?), extrusion dies go another way (who ended up with them, and again, were they bought?), and mold/extrusion equipment ends up with Ames

...great that Ames bought the equipment, but without molds/extrusion dies, then it's just a piece of machinery that will melt plastic and inject air for "foam" rubber

...dies are easily made, so extrusions not a problem

..molds are NOT easily made, so if you bought molded parts, that's a tough one

..some parts are combinations of molds and extrusions, as the British say, that's a sticky wicket for sure (I may not be correct in my wording but think that's it)

..as a final note, what a sad circumstance, machinery on one end, dies and molds on the other, and a dubious (see below) promise from an employee of owner to provide a service.

Around the time that all this was going on, I received a phone call from someone at Karr Rubber.  I'd made inquiries about an H rubber shape I needed, with no response.  Caller asked if I was still interested, well, sure, and then every question I had he/she yelled at someone in the background asking the question.  I finally got frustrated and hung up on he/she.

This is going to be a tough one, hope Ames continues with a good supply of parts, but sounds uphill to me....

this is an email exchange I had with Ames & Mfg:

Good Morning:

It is my understanding that you folks have some of the tooling from Karr Rubber.  There are a dozen or so extrusions that Craig Karr supplied to our Auburn parts business.

Do you have plans in the future to utilize this tooling for the antique automobiles.

Hi Curt,

We did obtain some of the tooling and materials that were remaining at Karr Rubber.  Unfortunately, much of the more current tooling was removed by someone else prior to our involvement.

We do not have any records of past orders, nor was there much reference to match tooling to a customer.

With your help in identification, we can certainly look for the tooling used for your past items.  If unsuccessful, we may have to re-make the dies for you.

I would be happy to work with you on any requirements you may have. 

Feel free to send any information you may have to help us facilitate, or to give me a call to discuss your projects.

Regards,

Chris Dittes
Ames Rubber Manufacturing Co.
4516 Brazil Street
Los Angeles, CA 90039
Ph:  818 240-9313
Fx:  818 240-0256

Ames Rubber Manufacturing - Tri-State Division
874 Postelle Rd.
Ducktown TN, 37326
Ph: 423-548-6682
Fx: 423-548-6683

chris@amesindustrial.com
www.amesrubberonline.com
www.amesindustrial.com

2 hours ago, Clam Estate Wagon said:

My daughter left several notes at Karr Rubber over the past month or so and on Monday got a phonecall from Tim Brown (of Ames Rubber Manufacturing in LA) who bought the equipment at the auction. My daughter passed on the number to me and today I spoke with Tim.

I told Tim about the weatherstripping for the tailgate of my 73 Caprice "Clam Wagon" and my dealings with Craig 5 months ago.

I told Tim Karr Rubber was the only manufacturer of that kit, how I visited the shop and put in an order on May18th or 19th. Craig still had the moulds at that time and had, according to himself, just shipped a set to a customer, his employee (Jose Louis Artaega I presume) proceeded to show me part of the kit asking if that was the right one. So five days before the shop shut down it was all there (dies and moulds).

As a footnote and to add to the mystery novel; Craigs mind was clear as day back in May. We spoke for at least half an hour about different cars, his friend in Sweden ( I am Norwegian) and other trivia in addition to my order. He seemed like a really nice knowledgeable guy with all his marbles intact. Just in a worn out body. Meeting him that day have gave me another story to tell together with all the others I have gathered through my travels around the world. And as they say "As long as someone speaks your name you are still alive".

Ok ...Back to the point of this thread...

Tim of Ames Rubber told me he keep in touch with the guy who worked for Craig ( Jose Louis again I presume) and that he would see what he could do to possibly make me a kit if I just sent him the info on my car and possibly some pictures. Its a big complex piece and Craig was charging $850. This kit need both moulds and dies for the extrusions which  make me think that Tim got at least some of the moulds together with the equipment or possibly that Jose Louis have at least some of the moulds. Well, thats what I choose to believe anyway....

Louis's son and daughter have both told us here on the Forum that he has all the dies so hopefully Jose Louis and Tim will keep on talking and make something more of this than just an equipment purchase and a dumpster full of "useless parts". Maybe even a collaboration to give Jose Lois the opportunity to keep on doing what he has been doing for the past 25 years.

Fingers crossed until I get a reply from Tim after he has spoken with Jose Lois again. If they can piece together my kit, much more must have been saved as well.

Someone else on the thread mentioned that they suggested to Craig he label his "stuff". Maybe that's part of the confusion as Tim/Ames Rubber don't know what they have as of yet.

Thank you Jose Lois Jr and JasmineJL

Unfortunately my father doesnt want to work for no one else, ames offered a job yo my father Joseluis. My dad will start his own company. If you can send me info about the car then my father will know what part you need.

Pepe Lucho y Jasmine : Pero no le falta su padre la macinaria que se llevo Ames ? No se puede fabricar los estrusiones sin tener la macinaria necesaria ? Verdad ?  Ojala se puede concluir un acuerdo al beneficio para todos. Sin esto no hay nada , y perdimos todos. Suerte ,   - Carl

Also knowing what someone needs doesn't mean anyone can make it without some very expensive extrusion machinery. He only has the dies , right ? Your father could end up with 100% of nothing if he is unwilling to accept a part of something. Muy franacamente , I think your father has no idea on how to properly deploy capital assets. Has he ever run a manufacturing enterprise ? All of it ? Himself ? Doesn't sound like it to me. I have , and have made a fortune. If he cannot come to a sensible agreement , he will only have the dies . some of which do not really belong to him , y como digo , perdimos todos. Me entiende ?  - Carl 

Guest Auto electrician CHIC

Im sorry but to the people that say  thier father worked for Mr .Karr for 25 YEARS... IF THAT WERE TRUE THEN U WOULD  KNOW THAT HEHE HAS NOT PASSED AWAY HE IS VERY MUCH ALIVE...HIS SON HAD HIM  PUT AWAY..(IM unsure of the rest  of details) ..

GOOD NEWS ON THE  MOULDS...IL SEND SOME PICS OF WHAT I FOUND  (AS FAR AS BLUE-ISH RUBBER MOULDS)

Who has the popcorn? Like a strange old b&w movie, this has a weird plot, but  it's strangely interesting to watch. 

I'll be at the SEMA show next week, and will see my good friend Corky, plus the all the major US rubber manufacturers while I'm there. It might be interesting to hear their take on this. 

• Like 2

Well, I'm going to disagree with Jasmineljl that "since he was the one making them that's the reason he took them".

If you work for someone else, and fabricate something for the business, then those fabrications belong to the owner of the business.  I've designed and built machinery and test equipment, while in the employ of a company, and those items surely don't belong to me.

Your last sentence doesn't make sense.  What we're discussing here is a business that made extrusions and molded parts, yet you insist that your father doesn't want to do that, he wants to make "custom rubber".  Also, you insist he doesn't need the "machinery" to make things, when in fact he does....

I don't think you're going to drum up much business for him here based on what I've read. Way too many questions to be answered...

I like my popcorn slightly buttered, thank you, at least the thread is entertaining!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Well, I'm going to disagree with Jasmineljl that "since he was the one making them that's the reason he took them".

If you work for someone else, and fabricate something for the business, then those fabrications belong to the owner of the business.  I've designed and built machinery and test equipment, while in the employ of a company, and those items surely don't belong to me.

Your last sentence doesn't make sense.  What we're discussing here is a business that made extrusions and molded parts, yet you insist that your father doesn't want to do that, he wants to make "custom rubber".  Also, you insist he doesn't need the "machinery" to make things, when in fact he does....

I don't think you're going to drum up much business for him here based on what I've read. Way too many questions to be answered...

I like my popcorn slightly buttered, thank you, at least the thread is entertaining!

Well Sr. One of the reason why my father took them was cause Mr. Karr wanted my father to take them with him since Mr. Karr wanted my father to carry on with the business. Machinery is needed for extrutions but not for molded parts. Thanks for your opinion, like I said before this is a hobby for my father, if you don't want to make business then there's alot of rubber manufactures that can help you out. ✌

11 hours ago, Jasminejl said:

Yes the dies do belong to him since he was the one making them thats the reason he took them

You didn't state that Mr. Karr gave them to him, you stated, above, that he took them since he made them.....big difference....

He must also have gotten a customer or contact list, as I was called by someone saying they were taking over Karr, and did I need anything....but the person I was talking to (possibly you?) didn't have any knowledge, and every question I asked they yelled to someone else to ask it again..I did, in fact, need some H shaped extruded rubber, still do....but I finally realized the conversation was getting no where and ended it...

Guest Joseluis arteaga

you a

44 minutes ago, trimacar said:

You didn't state that Mr. Karr gave them to him, you stated, above, that he took them since he made them.....big difference....

He must also have gotten a customer or contact list, as I was called by someone saying they were taking over Karr, and did I need anything....but the person I was talking to (possibly you?) didn't have any knowledge, and every question I asked they yelled to someone else to ask it again..I did, in fact, need some H shaped extruded rubber, still do....but I finally realized the conversation was getting no where and ended it...

The person you were talking to was me and i was trying to show my father what kind of H part it was but you got all fustrated and just hung up the phone. if you really wanted those parts done you would have called back also by the looks of it you have no patience. with no patience i believe you cant be helped.... 

GOOD NEWS ON THE  MOULDS...IL SEND SOME PICS OF WHAT I FOUND  (AS FAR AS BLUE-ISH RUBBER MOULDS)

THIS IS VERY  FRUSTRATING  AND SAD AT THE SAME TIME....CRAIG KARR IS NOT DEAD !!! & WHY PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT ABOUT HIM MAKES ME QUESTION THE TERMS OF THEIR RELATIONSHIPS WITH HIM AT THE TIME OF THIER  EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP CHANGED.....MR KARR'S SON HAD HIM COMMITED AS IF HE WERE CRAZY BUT FROM WHAT IM HEARING , MR KARR JUST WANTED TO RUN HIS BUSINESS  WITHOUT HIS SON INTERFERING  WITH THE WAY BE RAN THINGS $$$...(JUST MY OPINION)..

PLEASE IF ANYBODY KNOWS WHERE or how to locate him even being institutionalised  that  woukd be great....i would like tbe truth to be TOLD !! THANKS 

Guest SaddleRider

I am STILL waiting for offers on  that nice used bridge that I have for sale in Brooklyn.....

Ah...memories....I was standing next to Craig when he out-bid me on the Harold Lloyd car.   Let's see if ANYONE in here who claims he actually knew Craig has a $$(%(% clue what I am referring to.... I'll even throw in a hint... the auction house was on WIlshire Blvd....

1 hour ago, Auto electrician CHIC said:

THIS IS VERY  FRUSTRATING  AND SAD AT THE SAME TIME....CRAIG KARR IS NOT DEAD !!! & WHY PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT ABOUT HIM MAKES ME QUESTION THE TERMS OF THEIR RELATIONSHIPS WITH HIM AT THE TIME OF THIER  EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP CHANGED.....MR KARR'S SON HAD HIM COMMITED AS IF HE WERE CRAZY BUT FROM WHAT IM HEARING , MR KARR JUST WANTED TO RUN HIS BUSINESS  WITHOUT HIS SON INTERFERING  WITH THE WAY BE RAN THINGS $$$...(JUST MY OPINION)..

PLEASE IF ANYBODY KNOWS WHERE or how to locate him even being institutionalised  that  woukd be great....i would like tbe truth to be TOLD !! THANKS 

Sir we have the death certificate and yes he did pass away on September 29. He was put away in a seniors home and shorty passed away ...  He was cremated.

Edited by Jasminejl (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Jasminejl said:

Sir we have the death certificate and yes he did pass away on September 29. He was put away in a seniors home and shorty passed away ...  He was cremated.

You have the death certificate?  May we ask how you obtained that document, and why?  Death certificates are not public record, and one would need a darned good reason to be able to get a copy of one.

As they say, this just gets interestinger and interestinger......

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

You have the death certificate?  May we ask how you obtained that document, and why?  Death certificates are not public record, and one would need a darned good reason to be able to get a copy of one.

As they say, this just gets interestinger and interestinger......

Out of curiosity, I decided to check on who can get copies of a death certificate in California. Looks like official copies are limited to next of kin and people handling the estate, etc. But it looks like everyone else can get a "Informational Copy" marked "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY" regardless of who you are. See, for example: https://arcc.sdcounty.ca.gov/pages/birthdeath-certificates.aspx That is for San Diego county but they seem to be referencing state wide rules.

So in California it seems it is possible for Jasminejl to have gotten an informational copy regardless of their relation or legal connection to the subject.

1 hour ago, ply33 said:

Out of curiosity, I decided to check on who can get copies of a death certificate in California. Looks like official copies are limited to next of kin and people handling the estate, etc. But it looks like everyone else can get a "Informational Copy" marked "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY" regardless of who you are. See, for example: https://arcc.sdcounty.ca.gov/pages/birthdeath-certificates.aspx That is for San Diego county but they seem to be referencing state wide rules.

So in California it seems it is possible for Jasminejl to have gotten an informational copy regardless of their relation or legal connection to the subject.

Ok, thanks for information, it's not like that everywhere if my information is correct....but does possibly explain this particular situation....

Just as an aside, my wife is assistant director of local social services, she used some of her computer resources and could not find any info on Craig Karr....obit, records, nothing..... not a definitive answer of course but adds to the mystery...

Guest Joseluis arteaga

Well my sister jasmine and i have tried to help out this so called mystery that you guys are talking about. Craig has unfortunately passed and As my sister said he was cremated... sadly no one seems to believe this and we have no reason to lie about such thing. We are not going to continue repeating ourselfs since this conversation is getting no where. If you need anything regarding business contact me.

Guest Joseluis arteaga
On 10/27/2017 at 9:32 AM, Curti said:

Mr. Artega,   These are the Karr Rubber part numbers that we had made.  FM-19 , MBZ-56 , AUS-8 , FD-30  .  Can you relate to these numbers  and make these extrusions?  If so is your pricing the same?

Sir we sure can look for these dies. If we do not have these dies you just named we could work something out and remake the dies .also the pricing i will have to contact you personal. Via cellphone 3108504433

Well, as this was all getting kind of involved, I googled Craig Karr and a site called SearchQuarry has a death of someone with that name aged 88 who lived in Santa Monica which is one of the Karr rubber persons addresses.    However, I am not that interested to want to spend the $2.95 to get the detailed report . 

Guest Joseluis arteaga
1 minute ago, playswithbrass said:

Well, as this was all getting kind of involved, I googled Craig Karr and a site called SearchQuarry has a death of someone with that name aged 88 who lived in Santa Monica which is one of the Karr rubber persons addresses.    However, I am not that interested to want to spend the $2.95 to get the detailed report . 

Yep as i said and no one believed.

I had somewhat cryptically suggested an off forum PM discussion. That discussion with someone who I admire very much , lead to a plan. In furtherance thereof , I did accept the Ateaga family's invitation for a call. As I speak a fluent idiomatic Spanish , I spoke to the father comfortably in his native tongue. At this point , I am understandably not willing to go into every detail about his buisiness plans. That is HIS business , but I assure you that all will be forthcoming in due time. I was pleased to see Mr. Arteaga as a fine , hard working gentleman. I got on with him extremely well. We had an unambiguous , substantial , sequential talk. My advice right now would be to relax a bit , and develop an accepting , cooperative , productive relationship with the family. They are good people. I would be happy to help any forum member in any way I can. Perhaps as translator with the father on a three party call ? Or whatever. And , despite emphatic assertions to the contrary , it appears that R.I.P. Craig Karr would be an apropriate sentiment at last.

Look : I don't want to put Mr. Arteaga's buisiness in the street. I wouldn't like it if someone took such liberties with me. I expect most of you feel the same. I can satisfy somewhat more of CURRENT forum participants curiousity if you contact me through P.M. I will not respond to newbies , as I would not know who they are. I took a leave of absence from the baseball game at a sports bar to engage in a rather long conversation , and I just feel protective of the gentleman's position. That is all. I can open up more later. Once a bell rings ................ ! Sound fair ?  Now read "My advice right now ................." , above , again , and PM me if you would like.   - Carl