Karr Rubber Manufacturing - California.

dep5

Guest Warbird7

I just left them a message.     Have not ordered for several years and need to do so now.     Looks like their website is gone.    Hopefully John calls back.    

Edited by Warbird7 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I drove over to Karr Rubber on Friday, 9/8/17 at 4pm.  Doors locked, no one around.  Through the windows I could see equipment in the manufacturing area, packing boxes in the office area, a few pieces of mail in the small lobby area that was delivered through the mail slot.  Bulletin boards were empty - a few months ago they were loaded with images/posters/notes.  I'll check again on Monday.

Guest SaddleRider
23 minutes ago, Curti said:

Does anyone know what John's last name is?  

I don't know of any "John" connected with Craig Karr's business.   Craig is a member of a number of collector car organizations - you should be able to find his contact info. there. Craig WAS very active in the "collector car" hobby - havnt seen him at events for over a year now.

I'd put in a web request for info to Karr a few months ago..about a month ago, received a call from a fellow who stated he'd bought the business, what was I needing...after a five minute nonsensical discussion, where he kept yelling to someone in the background, repeating my questions, I gave up, and hung up...so something strange going on...

3 hours ago, SaddleRider said:

I don't know of any "John" connected with Craig Karr's business.   Craig is a member of a number of collector car organizations - you should be able to find his contact info. there. Craig WAS very active in the "collector car" hobby - havnt seen him at events for over a year now.

Not sure who "Craig" is, but I've been dealing with Karr Rubber for a few decades now, including that Karr extrudes weather strip from an original sample I sent him, that my club owns  the rights to the extrusion die,  and it's always been John I  have dealt with.  

Hope he's ok.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

City Directories, usually issued annually and available in the main public library, would have listings for the business in the businesses section, generally together with the owners or an officers name...

John and Craig Karr, together with anyone else disclosed, can be checked in the individuals section for a home address and possibly a telephone number, for further imquries...

The City of El Segundo should also have business license records showing current owner/ Officer if Incptd/contact atty...

A couple business=contact sites give Craig Karr as owner, but those sites gave no date info was provided...they also said firm had 6 employees...

If John Karr was founder/original owner, and suffered health/medical difficulties, business may've been passed to son? brother?relative? Craig Karr...or "John" could've been primary employee who dealt with customers, who naturally assumed they were dealing with John Karr...

All too often these firms are "labor of love" (non profit or even annual loss) operations that do not survive the disability or death of the founder/operator, despite efforts of family etc to maintain operation, but who (as naturally) lack the dedication  of the founder......

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SaddleRider
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, Bud Tierney said:

City Directories, usually issued annually and available in the main public library, would have listings for the business in the businesses section, generally together with the owners or an officers name...

John and Craig Karr, together with anyone else disclosed, can be checked in the individuals section for a home address and possibly a telephone number, for further imquries...

The City of El Segundo should also have business license records showing current owner/ Officer if Incptd/contact atty...

A couple business=contact sites give Craig Karr as owner, but those sites gave no date info was provided...they also said firm had 6 employees...

If John Karr was founder/original owner, and suffered health/medical difficulties, business may've been passed to son? brother?relative? Craig Karr...or "John" could've been primary employee who dealt with customers, who naturally assumed they were dealing with John Karr...

All too often these firms are "labor of love" (non profit or even annual loss) operations that do not survive the disability or death of the founder/operator, despite efforts of family etc to maintain operation, but who (as naturally) lack the dedication  of the founder......

REGARDING THE ISSUE OF WHO OR WHAT IS/WAS  KARR RUBBER

I have known Craig Karr for well over 50 years.   In all those years,  I never heard him mention he had a brother, aunt,  business partner,  alias, uncle, or  pet lizard named

" John".    I have NEVER forgiven him for out-bidding me some years ago,  at an auction in Beverly Hills,  on the Frank Lloyd '35 Packard V-12.....!  ( now being restored by someone else).

I am so sorry to learn his business has closed down.    Craig was a fun participant in so many old car events we attended down thru the years.  Talk about a sense of humor.....!      Come to think of it,  it is over a year since I have seen him at our old car events.  I am aware that he has had increasing health issues in recent years  ( trouble is...the more I think about it, the more I realize what I consider "recent"....well........... All I can do at this point is wish him the best.

Back around 1990 or 1987 I met a man who was making automotive rubber moldings at his home and garage in Inglewood. People would send him a piece of the old and he would get the profile and make new. That would not be the same man would it and he moved from Inglewood to El Segundo? Just curious.

Guest SaddleRider
5 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Back around 1990 or 1987 I met a man.......he moved from Inglewood to El Segundo? Just curious.

Give the info. you provided,  that must have been Craig.   He often served at a judge at prestigious auto shows.   Cant help but smile when I think  of some of his 'tounge-in-cheek" antics.......

11 hours ago, Klughterfo said:

I believe they're still in the business, my Uncle just purchased there. In your case,just little patience and more follow up.

How can they, Karr Rubber Manufacturing, still be in business when their assets were auctioned off two days ago (Sept. 20, 2017).  The copy of the notice in the El Segundo Herald, provided by TVC15 in his Post #17, seems to be pretty detailed and conclusive that Karr Rubber Mfg. is no longer an entity and is no longer in business.

Could you provide some details (dates etc.) of your Uncle's recent transaction with Karr?

Cheers,

Grog

When I saw the post about the auction I immediately called the folks at Steele Rubber, Metro and Ron Wade.  When I talked to Ron yesterday, he said that the city and county were no help in identifying who the auction company had been.  I gather none of the 3 had any luck finding out what happened to all the tooling.  This is a sad day for the hobby.  Unless someone bought the dies with the intent of supplying the old car hobby, we just lost over 1000 reproduction parts for most makes of antique cars and trucks.

Guest SaddleRider
13 hours ago, capngrog said:

How can they, Karr Rubber Manufacturing, still be in business when their assets were auctioned off two days ago (Sept. 20, 2017). ..........Could you provide some details (dates etc.) of your Uncle's recent transaction with Karr?   Cheers,  Grog  (Grog was referring to an above post where a fellow wanted to tell us he "believes" Craig Karr is still in business....because, he claimed..."his uncle just did business with him....".)

Grog - you are being very unkind.   The poor fellow who posted that nonsense was just doing a very normal thing - not exactly unusual  in this and other forums.......obviously has no clue what he is babbling about - just wants to be "noticed".   No reason to be "snarky" about the obvious.

mike6024 -

Yes, I am local to the area.  Did not go to the auction.

Additionally, I could not find any auctioneer notices and there were no signs on the property.  I'll be in El Segundo this weekend and will see if the building is empty.

Does anyone know Craig Karr or, if he is still alive?  When I saw him 6 months ago he wanted me to bring a sample of what I needed - to see if he had the part in stock or, had a mold for it.  There was 1 other employee in the office but, the factory area was dark.

When I met him 20-25 years ago we were talking about his business and, that when he passes, the business would close as there was no family member interested in the business.

I hope Craig is alive and well, sent a friend to buy the assets and is setting up his business in another location.  I will let you all know what I see in El Segundo this weekend.

I first started doing business with them back in the late 1980's. They were very easy to deal with, did a bunch of custom made items working over the phone and fax machine. I paid for the dies of my product,  they manufactured the rubber. I sold all my supply within two years, and called back to order more. He said on custom orders they don't keep the dies......which was interesting. I had kept an eye on their catalog and he never made or sold the products that I footed the bill for, which is what we agreed to. They were people who kept their word, and produced a nice product. They were no longer intrested in the custom work, for what ever reason, and while  I tried to get them to make me more product, they declined. I think the issue was more of a lack of equipment, maybe the old equipment broke down and they didn't replace it, as I could never get a direct answer. Their main business was making rubber products for the hand held fishing rod industry. Craig had a 1932 Pierce series 54 Coupe, one of five, like my own. It was all original, and around 2010 I called and asked for photos toe use as a reference. By this time, it was already getting hard to speak to Craig directly, and I was always handed off to someone else who I thought and was told was his son. I have no idea if this was accurate or not. Who ever it was, they weren't intrested in helping me out, such is life. I got the feeling who ever I was talking to wanted the cars and didn't even want to acknowledge they owned them. He also had another interesting and rare car, which I called up and inquired to purchase, but I was politely declined about even discussing the car. Recently over the last two years, ordering products was difficult and there was clearly health issues of some type. We couldn't get things shipped, and then all of a sudden we would get two duplicate orders. The last order arrived and didn't have an invoice with it. We called a dozen times and couldn't get an answer for how much we owed. That was the last time we were in contact with them about four or five months ago. Ed

Thank you for going by to check on things. I continue to hope the extrusion dies will end up at a firm that will run them in the future.  Being in Michigan, I'm at a distinct disadvantage to go take a look for myself.

Guest Clam Estate Wagon

I stopped by Karr Rubber MFG on May 18th this year (2017) and paid Craig 500 cash deposit for the weatherstripping for my 73 Clamshell Tailgate.

He was on his way to his lawyer he said and left as I left.

He said it would be ready in three to four weeks and that he would be in touch with my daughter living in LA.

I am from Norway and was just visiting my daughter for a week.

She never heard from him and when she drove by his shop six weeks later it was all closed.

His house was also derelict with a notice on the door from the county saying it is unsafe and they have contacted the mortgage provider to secure the house.

I have the phone numbers listed for him and his wife but no reply to messages.

The two above sentences are true providing I have tracked down the right Craig Karr. But everything checks out with age etc

He told me he had broken his back in a couple of places a while back and it showed as he was bent over pretty bad but he seemed pretty well aside from that.

He was also very chatty although short of breath.

Told me he was 87 years old but was also happy every morning he woke up.

He talked about having sold a car to Norway and also his friend from Sweden that came to LA last year and still wanted to buy Craigs Caddy. He also said he had just made a clamshell Tailgate weatherstripping for a guy with a Buick a couple of months earlier.

He even showed me an unfinished one.

There were two people there working, one male and a female, in their fourties I guess and I conformed my order with the male.

He then told Craig he needen more of some chemical to make my parts to which Craig said he would by double that amount.

Earlier dealings with Karr Rubber via E-mail has been signed by John Karr back in 2014. He had a business called Fish Industries (run from the same location I believe.)

I hope Craig is well, he seemed like a really nice guy.

I am also back in the market for tailgate weatherstripping for my clam Estate Wagon.

500 dollars down but I'd rather see Craig being OK and pay all over again.

Ken

Earlier dealings with Karr Rubber via E-mail has been signed by John Karr back in 2014. He had a business called Fish Industries (run from the same location I believe.)

John Karr @ Fish industries has been the person that has filled our orders for at least ten years.  

21 minutes ago, Curti said:

John Karr @ Fish industries has been the person that has filled our orders for at least ten years.  

It was John that I dealt with in phone calls to have an extrusion die made to make a run of about 500 feet of 1928-32 Franklin sponge rubber swing-out windshield  weather seals, from a good original I found. The Club paid to have the die made and each run of the weather seal, with the original agreement being that the Club owns the die and exclusive rights to all seal made from that die. 

And it was always John that I dealt with every few years when I needed to reorder another batch of 500 ft for the Club.  Not sure what has happened to the Club's extrusion die, now.

Paul

Guest Clam Estate Wagon

Hi Mike 6024.

English is not my first Language but when you said "that is per the building owner" does that mean you got in touch with the owner or just that that is at the building owners right/discretion.

Just wondering about the possibility of getting in touch with whoever bought the contents

Ken

Fascinating, just fascinating!!

Per my admittedly out of date legal recollection an auction of  " abandoned eqpmt", or eqpmt sold to pay rent etc, would have to have a legal notice published in a local newspaper of "general circulation"...this is to give  other unknown claimants notice of the auction so they can try to protect their interests/claims...

That would be the local paper, or one of them if more than one, OR in the local "legal newspaper" if there is one...

Cites of enough size usually have a "legal" paper, which is one circulated almost wholly to directly interested parties--business people, attys, etc---set up to avoid giving the general public as a whole notice (in direct opposition to statutes requiring notice) but accepted by the Courts as sufficient (another "legal fiction)...

That notice, usually published at least once a week for four weeks, has to identify the auctioneer, etc....

9 hours ago, Clam Estate Wagon said:

Hi Mike 6024.

English is not my first Language but when you said "that is per the building owner" does that mean you got in touch with the owner or just that that is at the building owners right/discretion.

Just wondering about the possibility of getting in touch with whoever bought the contents

Ken

Yes I sent an email to the building owner. She lives in Monterey in Northern California some distance from this property in El Segundo. I suppose she is some sort of investor.

I asked her. I said if Karr Rubber vacated the premises and abandoned their equipment then there are some of us who would be interested in buying it. She replied it has already been sold at auction last week.

It was easy to find her contact information because her name is uncommon.

Don't know what else I can do without seeming to be a pest. I suppose she has a property manager. Thats what landlords do when a tenant vacates and abandons property, they have it auctioned and apply the proceeds to unpaid rent.

maybe no-one even came to the auction and the stuff is still there for all I know. Or maybe someone bought it dirt cheap and would re-sell it.

Here is what she said,

Saundra Randazzo

There was an auction held last week all equipment was sold.
Sandy

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Guest Clam Estate Wagon

Thank you.

I have written Saundra asking politely for some information.

I will keep this post updated with any replies.

I really want to see these moulds etc. get into the right hands and I don't mind spending the time to make that happen.

My daughter lives just 20 minutes away from 133 Lomita Street. She accompanied me there and have been there twice since the doors closed. Leaving notes for both the owner and Craig.

I will also get her to leave notes on the building and in the mailbox for the possible winner of the auction or a property manager.

She has already told neighbouring tenants to have a lookout.

Has anyone contacted El Segundo Herald with a copy of this advert

NOTICE OF PUBLIC SALE OF
ABANDONED PERSONAL
PROPERTY:
Take notice that in accordance with the
provisions of California Civil Code §
1993.07(b) and Government Code §
6066, the following described articles
of personal property will be sold at
public sale by competitive bidding on
September 20, 2017, 10:00 a.m., at 133
Lomita Street, El Segundo, CA 90245:
Rubber manufacturing equipment, tools,
office equipment, furniture, and other
miscellaneous items used in connection
with Karr Rubber Manufacturing. The last
known owner of the personal property
was CRAIG KARR dba Karr Rubber
Manufacturing, former commercial tenant
of 133 Lomita Street, El Segundo, CA
El Segundo Herald Pub. 8/31, 9/7/17
H-25720

They must have a record of who payed for this advert. From there contact the advertiser, who is probably a lawyer, and they can tell you which auctioneer was used etc. Then the auctioneer should be able to either refer you to the buyer, or they may be prepared to contact the buyer on your behalf to see what the buyer is going to do with the molds.

Auctioneers wont normally give you a buyers details, but if asked nicely and given sufficient reason they might help.

Viv.