Modern style wheels on a 64 Rivi

bodayguy

What do you guys think of these Boss wheels (not my car pictured)? That's staggered with 18s in front, 20s in rear.

I have the stock spinner style wheels but damn these are tempting. Do you hate seeing modern wheels on a classic?

Boss-wheels.jpg

• Like 2

I like them on a stock car, as long as the shapes work with the car's shapes. Those wheels are the perfect example... the spoke's coke bottle shape works with the Riv's coke bottle shapes (like on Black River's car also). I'm amazed at how large of a wheel looks good on a Riv. On most older cars, 20" wheels look cartoonish. On a Riv, it proportions out really well.

I've been considering 17" myself, with a fatter sidewall tire to fill out the wheelwheel.

Edited by jsgun (see edit history)

On 3/6/2017 at 0:20 PM, bodayguy said:

What do you guys think of these Boss wheels (not my car pictured)? That's staggered with 18s in front, 20s in rear.

I have the stock spinner style wheels but damn these are tempting. Do you hate seeing modern wheels on a classic?

Boss-wheels.jpg

I could roll with this.

On 3/6/2017 at 4:25 PM, Seafoam65 said:

To me, they would look fine on a customized Riviera, but if the car is otherwise bone stock, I think

they look completely out of place.

I saw that too. It looks like a really nice car.

David-Furnish-Maison-Martin-Margiela-Pai

Bernie

• Like 1

Here is my opinion. Both of the two vehicles above look fine with the newer custom wheels. In fact they look great. I like the way these wheels look (venomous and wicked). However, what something looks like also has context connected to a cosmology of the viewer. Taste is developed and fermented, like a fine wine and sometimes even distilled down even further. I personally think that it is very hard to find wheels that look better than the Buick Riviera Chrome Rally (or whatever they are technically called). I also like the look of the aluminum turbines style (very medieval). The wire wheel type are not as good looking, yet sometimes they may be most appropriate, for example if that particular car came with those wheels. There is something very original and authentic about sporting the look that is true to origin. Now when it comes to custom wheels, I would seek out something that no one else has, or very few have. Part of the gravity that Rivieras maintain is that you do not see them very often, and so are much more appreciated when see. Ideally a custom wheel would be engendered with the spirit in mind of original genetics, yet perhaps a different size or artistic interpretation with tasteful variations. 

All the examples above are very tasteful and look better than most other classics on the Road IMO, however put bluntly, I do not like that style of wheel very much because I see them used very often and in my eyes cheapens and might even drop the value of a nice Riviera (like breast implants on a women/sorry for the crude comparison). 

Keep the stock spinners; do you have a picture? If you want something different and modern, save up and have the wheels custom made so that you are the only one on the road with them. Then, it should not only look badass/elegant/classy, but also maintain the value and be more of a rarity. 

From the factory in '63, "nuttin" prettier than the optional cast aluminum wheel covers with the stainless spinner.  Especially when seen in motion.  You gotta keep the aluminum polished though to get the best look; well worth the work.

Image result for 1963 buick riviera cast aluminum wheel covers

In '64 the same cast cover with stainless spinner had the area between the turbine fins painted black.

Image result for 1964 buick riviera cast aluminum wheel covers

IMHO, wheel choice depends on whether you want the car to appear stock or modified.  Either choice, first generation Rivieras are still good looking cars.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Rivdrivn said:

In recent years I have developed a new appreciation for well designed hub caps

For those of you who might not be familiar with these covers, these are the covers that came as part of the Gran Sport option. Many times the car was ordered with the rally wheels and these were never seen. I agree that there are some covers that are good looking; like the 67 turbine styled covers.

IMO when you compare the photos of the Boss wheel equipped to those with the spoke covers and the turbine covers, you are talking chalk and cheese. The Riviera with the oversize wheels have lost their elegance, their pizzaz, their flair, as the wheels are what hit you in the face. Whereas with the other Riviera photos, the covers are distinctive but blende the package.

i must admit I do love Cragars and Supremes on first generations, as well as the factory rallye wheel and IMO suit the Riviera much much better as they are a period style wheel.

I can understand it can be a generational thing where one generation wants to be so different from the previous ( long hair, tattoos, body piercing, rock music, et al) and its your money to spend how you wish. And I can understand one wanting to be different and make a statement with their car.  I don't think I am old fashioned but .........

just st my two bobs worth down under

Rodney

I'm a really big fan of the cast aluminum covers. They seems to be pretty pricy the rare times I've seen them on ebay. I like all the turbine caps buick was using through the early 70's. I like custom stuff, so I think almost all of them would look great with a chrome bullet in the center. It would really make them look like jet engine intakes.

I like a lot of the early 60's Chrysler caps too, some very interesting shapes on them.

If you like the look of steel wheels, beauty rings, and caps, try a set of 7 in Chevy truck rally wheels.  An ROA member from Washington state has a set on his 63 and they look good. Look at pictures of the cars in Colorado Springs in 04 and you might find it.  I think he had some caps made with the Riviera logo on them.

Are the 5 spoke wheels from Vintage Wheel Works? They look like 17" "Vintage 40" wheels. I really like them a lot.

I ran black steel wheels with chrome lugnuts and pinstripe whitewalls on a 79 chevy for years. I loved the look, it was very oldschool street racer.

10 hours ago, jsgun said:

Are the 5 spoke wheels from Vintage Wheel Works? They look like 17" "Vintage 40" wheels. I really like them a lot.

I ran black steel wheels with chrome lugnuts and pinstripe whitewalls on a 79 chevy for years. I loved the look, it was very oldschool street racer.

Not mine but they are 17 inch and say American Racing. I like the 245/50/17 tire size as well.

I ran these Cragars on my B-body Chevy for about two months and went back to the original ones.

1415206266212126.jpg.acb4c5e9608a8246a8fb2e0d2a15dd48.jpg

They will fit a Riviera or full sized Buick. They are 17 X 8 with caps and nuts that fit late Roadmasters. I have them in the garage stacked in the original boxes in perfect condition. Cragar has discontinued them. They were $260 each plus. I am looking for $900 or something interesting. PM if you would like to try them on a Riviera.

Bernie

It's either 15's or 20's on a Riv.  17/18's just do not look right and tire choices are limited.  You can do 20/22 combo with a 3in drop and fits great.  I have worked on three 64/65 Riv's with that combo and it drives good.  Turning radius is the hard part with these cars. 

• 5 years later...
On 3/6/2017 at 2:27 PM, jsgun said:

I like them on a stock car, as long as the shapes work with the car's shapes. Those wheels are the perfect example... the spoke's coke bottle shape works with the Riv's coke bottle shapes (like on Black River's car also). I'm amazed at how large of a wheel looks good on a Riv. On most older cars, 20" wheels look cartoonish. On a Riv, it proportions out really well.

I've been considering 17" myself, with a fatter sidewall tire to fill out the wheelwheel.

I agree completely. The smaller 17s or 18s in the front with 20 in the rear look great. My 64 is totally stock with wire hub caps. Some day I wouldn’t mind some wire wheels with some fatter tires so it could still look more like stock.  In the video i liked the color combo. I have the exact same color interior. 

Five years later I am sticking with my black center "R" logo 15" stock wire wheel covers. Sometimes the glitzier wheels overpower the car and take your attention away from the total design.

An older picture, I have removed the vinyl from the top and may get that one last paint job done this year. That's 8 coats of lacquer applied in 1980.

0044.jpg.be6de573f8d6a5071f0341642af5ea36.jpg

• Like 3

I'm with the wire wheel look myself. I got my car with the standard go-to muscle car rim of the 90s I remember...the American racing 5 star style. But when I do go to get tires and rims, ya better believe I'm either going stock wires or some dope low-low 100 spoke type with the O.G Riviera R from the later year's. I think wires just look clean and classy, but gangster dope at the same time.

And with ithers, I agree what you like is what's important. What fits your style. Your taste. Your purpose for the part in convo at the time.

Happy hunting for your diamond...

As with most, just my worthless two cents/opinions :)

Jeremy20220122_085702.jpg.846a0f4cc7454babff713a53e9e7e1bd.jpg

11 hours ago, 63Rivee said:

I think wires just look clean and classy, but gangster dope at the same time.

The picture was taken across the street from my house in the library parking lot. Sometimes the background field gets planted with corn. Smoking a little corn silk is the closest one will get the gangsta dope around here. In fact the gangstas get a little nervous and twitchy this far out.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

The picture was taken across the street from my house in the library parking lot. Sometimes the background field gets planted with corn. Smoking a little corn silk is the closest one will get the gangsta dope around here. In fact the gangstas get a little nervous and twitchy this far out.

I'm out here in California, so you know we got gangstas (which in slang for me is just some down cats who will have your back, take you to dinner at grandmas but Joe pesci bury you for dessert lol) 

And always do we got those fine fields like the Midwest corn of nebraska, but seas of that sweet green that gets you lifted just right. Cool as a cucumber coast to coast. :)

As for the tweaks, we try and rangle them up like natives did Buffalo in the 1800s, push them toward the cliff and watch them fall to the pile below of the unsavable lol

20190516_065330_resized.jpg.9bd8c19a6d36dcb6f7e71cd6fae92d3e.jpgThere are LOTS of opinions on wheels, wheels sizes, and hub caps.  I for one am not a big fan of big wheels (20") on older cars and I think Buick went cheap on 63-64 with hub caps, and that is MHO.  The 64 Wildcat had the Buick road wheels, why not Riviera.

My 64 Riviera pic below.  1.  with the original 64 Wildcat wheels and white walls.  2. with US Mag, 7 x 17s front and 8 x 17s rear with DB redline (more of a hot wheel look).  It was hard to move to 17s, could not imagine anything larger, but hat is me. 

Art

1389560451_20190921_171657_resized_240774.jpg.c5b44b8f8e9c17ae67f0caba2a62572c.jpg

• Like 2